Universal Beast Quest (by Miniclip.com)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Spinda

Spinda Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2013
    So does it get any more interesting?

I've just fought Nanook for the second time and the combat seems really easy, I know it's early in the game but fighting wolves non stop is getting boring.

The fetch quests are also boring, 15 planks of wood? After 10 of those flower things, and 7 of those herbs. On top of a mandatory quest to search for treasure chests. Seriously?

The characters are pretty uninteresting. The animations and enemy design are pretty uninspired. The hero looks super plain.

It's like they took a bunch of dull game mechanics from other games and just dressed them up as plainly as they could.

2. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    Hi - sorry you've had problems. Can you please contact our Support team so that we can help you fix this?

The game has cloud save on iOS, but unfortunately no way to sync between iOS and Android. Sorry! Glad you're enjoying the game :)

3. drunk_vader

drunk_vader Active Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Barista
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    My impressions so far are quite positive albeit a few minor issues.
    Let me first start by saying that this is not Skyrim on mobile or even close to that, while you do explore and complete quests/level up, it is rather mundane and repetitive - which to me is the weakest point of the game.
    I think the game is rather generous for a freemium game, chests, rabbit holes (that give you a few extra coins), defeating enemies all can net you a nice sum of gold, gems potions and artifacts. Very nicely balanced, so thanks for that.
    A small piece of advice, if you've played this game for a 15 minutes and liked it, I strongly recommend you invest $1.99 for 50% increase in gold pickup. It will help you out greatly once you level up to 7 and above since upgrading your equipment will be essential in defeating the tougher enemies and bosses.
    Story? Rather uninteresting, but again, I'm not looking for one so I couldn't care less.
    Combat? Simple swiping/dodging and blocking (Infinity Blade style), nothing special.
    What I do like is the achievement system, I feel it really extends and adds to the experience. Plus rewards you nicely upon completion. The only grudge against it are those achievements that require you to spend diamonds/crystals.

Overall: 7.5/10.

Things that I would improve/add:

+More armor/shield variations.
    +More monster types (level 8, 3 hours in and all I've seen are wolves and goblins).
    +Varied quests (those fetch quests can get annoying after 3 hours).
    +More zones and secret locations.

4. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    Thanks a lot for the feedback! That does actually make me wonder how long it will be before we're actually playing Skyrim on a mobile device...

5. Alexythimia23

Alexythimia23 Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Hi, pls can you private email me the password? I dont know if someone else barred the word? Thanx!

6. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Sr. Data Analyst
    Baltimore, MD
    You could have seen it when you quoted the message. It's a spoiler so they block it out.

7. Luciom

Luciom Member

Apr 6, 2015
    I finished the first chapter but i only found 24 out of 30 treasuries (for the achievement), no secret wall either. Can some1 help me about that?

8. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    #68 Elsa, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
    Bigmac and Soda for 12 bucks? Are you nuts? This excuse only goes for good premium games that cost about 1 to 3 dollars, it in no way applies to this game. It's a "free to play" game with consumable IAPs and paywalls. And that's not good at all.

As someone else pointed out, this game isn't all that good. It mixes only the very basic elements of good games. The story (the little of it that exists) is pretty dumb. Why would the protagonist kill all the possessed wolves if his mission is to free animals form the evil spell. It's a plot hole I can't overlook, because without it, there'd be no game. Combat is very, very weak and shouldn't be compared to Infinity Blade. There's no parry, directional attacks are a gimmick and they only serve for lame, predictable quick time events. The only redeamable quality of this game is the aesthetic graphics and the exploration aspect of the game.

I stick to my original review, only the difficulty curve might not not be so steep anymore, because they adjusted the drop rating of runes/artifacts in the worldwide relase version. I'd have to replay the game to make sure though, but I don't think I will.

The new icon looks even worse though.

9. Luciom

Luciom Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Actually i am at 89 gems after 3 days, 99 required to unblock the next chapter, so i don't see any paywall if you are not in a hurry.

You can pay to win faster & better if you want, but you can play the game without paying and be satisfied. So why the whine?

10. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    Perhaps they have changed the drop rate of gems. I played the game for about 3 days as well, got all the achievements and found all hidden treasures, but got to like 50 gems. A lot of which had to be spent on potions.

All right, maybe I'll give it a second try.

11. Luciom

Luciom Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Never spend gems on anything (potions included), just try again without using potions, it's doable with all the equip maxed out and dodging most opponents pre-boss.

Gem drop rate isn't huge, let's say 2-3 per day if playing 40-50 min + the 4 per day from quests + the video ads (around 2 per day), + achievements/chest and quest completing of course.

Of course you need to be calculate in everything you do but that's fine, if you want it easy you can always pay, the developers deserve some money imo because the graphical aspects are extremely good for a free-IAP game (actually among the best i have ever seen for a non-demo free-IAP game).

12. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    I played trough the game back when it was soft-released. They applied some changes when they released the game worldwide. They increased the drop rate of artifacts and gems and I'm guessing they lowered the difficulty.

13. FishersWhales

FishersWhales New Member

May 10, 2015
    Perfect Blocks?

Ive been playing the game for a few days now (Level 12, first world) and really like it, but have not really understood the mechanics behind the "perfect block". Ive done it maybe 3 times, and each by complete luck, so I was wondering if there is something specific I must do?:D

14. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    The time interval between you raising the shield and you blocking the incoming attack must be as short as possible.

15. FishersWhales

FishersWhales New Member

May 10, 2015
    Thanks!

16. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    The combat looks horrendous. Basically a very dumbed down version of Infinity Blade with terrible animations and sound effects. I mean monsters don't even have a flinch animation when you strike them, lol, the sword simply clips right through.

17. Luciom

Luciom Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Any kind soul that can help me to find secret walls and zones?

18. frisbee10461

frisbee10461 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    #78 frisbee10461, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
    Secret Wall Achievement

Hello, all! frisbee10461 here!

For those of you looking for the Secret Wall achievemment, you will find it in
    Nanook's Lair. This is the area that you go to right after you kill Big Daddy Blue Wolf.

Now, when you get to this area, you will have access to a whopping
    SIX
    treasure chests. They are located, as follows:

The first treasure chest is located right outside the lair.You should see it.

The second treasure chest is being guarded by a zombie. Go get that one next.

After killing the zombie, you'll see a path. Travel to the end of the path and you'll get the third treasure chest.

On the way back, on your left-hand side, you'll see a wall blinking. Click it to get the Secret Achievement [and fourth treasure chest].

Lastly, check the corners of the lair, and you will see the 5th and 6th chests.

19. frisbee10461

Feb 16, 2012
    Gem Trick

There is a way to get gems at a more rapid rate of 1-2 per day. This was put into the game by the devs, so I don't think I am spoiling anything for anyone. However, I will include the Spoiler tag.

ALWAYS click the rabbit holes. There is a 5% - 10% chance you will get a gem.

20. frisbee10461

Feb 16, 2012
    Where Is Everyone in the Game?

Out of curiosity, where is everyone in this game, in terms of status?

For me, I have earned the following:

* 79/99 gems. 20 more for the new world :)
    * 29/30 treasures.
    * 31/35 quests completed. I am currently on the one where I have to face Nanook in his lair. He is one tough Nanookie Cookie. My sword and armor are maxed out, and my shield is 12/16.

How about you?