Universal Beast Quest (by Miniclip.com)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

You can avoid all normal baddies in the camp except the last before the marauder, you don't have to fight all of them. Work your way around. Since marauders strike fast, max out your shield and use it. Repair it after the second last fight and go for the marauder leader. And as said, buy the first blessing from Aduro. The boss battle is not as hard as it seems. You should also try farming the rune of life leech, this also makes things easier.

2. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #42 Primoz, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    I gave up on this game. It offers a terrible experience in its current state. I finished quests in Nanook's world and have finished 96% of all achievements and my character is level 12, so I have a pretty good idea of what's the game about. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, just giving my honest feedback.

The story is as generic as it gets. I guess you didn't have much freedom there, since it's based on the books, but I hope the story in the books isn't as generic as you present it. The characters are bland as well. Considering how few of them there are, they could be presented more and better. Some decisions met by your characters are questionable at best. It is said that the wolves are possessed by some evil being, so your character just goes on a killing spree of supposedly innocent animals. Not sure what lesson that is supposed to teach. Isn't his quest supposed to be to save the beasts? Well, at least he didn't kill the yeti... PS: That man is still bleeding and dying on the bridge after you've finished the campaign. He should get back to his village or something.

The combat is dull. This is nowhere near infinity blade level. There is no parrying (that alone is reason enough to dislike the combat). There are no combos either. Directional attacks are just there as a gimmick (for quick time events), because enemies can't block, therefore you will find yourself just smashing the attack button all the time. I was curious how you will implement multiple enemies and I was surprised how fun it was to fight against them. Unfortunately you see the pattern after just 1 or two fights with multiple enemies. The main enemy attacks just as he always does and the other two take their turns attacking you, but they always have just one kind of attack, which you always have to dodge the same way. Becomes very repetitive very quickly. They also trigger quick time events, which happens as the main enemy has 50% health or less and that can ruin some really nice charged attacks. "Oh, you have the 3x charged attack ready? It would be a shame if someone were to trigger a quick time event...". Furthermore the quicktime event repeats if you don't complete it.

The world is nice and encourages exploration. The areas, while small, are very unique and distinct from eachother. Looking for hidden treasures is fun. I'm not too sure about those cookie clicker mechanics on herbs/mushrooms/rabbit holes. They could at least spawn in different places.

The difficulty ramps up as soon as you enter the goblin camp. Let me tell you how you are forced to play this game. When you spawn at the camp, you go to the boss. On the way you avoid all enemies. You are forced to battle one enemy before you can get to the boss (interesting decision on the developer's side). That enemy isn't really hard to defeat, but accidents happen and they cost a lot (25-35% health). And when you get to the boss the first time you inevitably die. Why? "Oh, you came this far, too bad you don't know these new moves I have". "Oh, you came this far? It would be a shame if I would perform an attack which cannot be avoided". "Oh, you came this far? Now my minions will perform several attacks which cannot be avoided even after your shield is broken". Yes, it really feels like the game makes fun of the player like that. I really don't like to rely on my shield and therefore I upgraded my attack and armor and the game really punished me for that, because I didn't know about those un-avoidable attacks until later in the game. So you find yourself walking from the camp to the boss while clicking on herbs avoiding enemies over and over again. Not very fun. You know you did something wrong with the game when getting killed on purpose (to restore health) and restarting the game (to get respawned closer to the boss) are viable techniques.

Equipment. There is no equipment per se, but I found out that runes/emblems do give some boost to the shield/sword and also change it's appearance, which is pretty neat. Wish I would get some runes sooner, perhaps the game wouldn't be as frustrating then. *I finished the Nanook quest before I got any full rune/emblem, though I defeated a ton of enemies and opened all chests.

The graphics are probably my favourite aspect of this game. Sure they aren't "high res" and whatnot, but the art style looks really great. And I'll take aesthetics over graphics any day of the week. Props for being able to run this on the iPhone 3Gs.

The music/sounds. There isn't a lot of music (only one track?) but it has a nice fantasy theme and doesn't feel repetitive to me. Sounds are very excellent and that adds to the whole atmosphere of the game.

Controls. I'm not too pleased with them. The whole swipe to look still feels floaty after hours of gameplay. I did get used to the run button, but a joystick would still be better. Besides, I have to use one thumb for the run button, one for swipe to look and a third finger to click to pick up items. There is quite a bit of exploring in the game at the beginning and it would be better if you could do everything with just one/two fingers. You could also implement an option that would allow you to pick up things just by walking over them. This is a mobile game, the less fingers on the screen, the better. The controls in combat sometimes feel unresponsive. Perhaps you can't avoid right after you attack? I think you should be able to, especially since when you are fighting 3 or 2 enemies the intervals between their attacks can be very short. Actions should happen instant on button press.

Quests/Achievements. Quests are pretty generic, go there, kill that, bring me 15 of that and so forth. The achievements on the other hand are pretty fun and offer rewards as well. Wish there was more of them. Daily quests are great as well, I think you should introduce them earlier and not after finishing all quests, especially since they give you 4 gems.

IAPs. This game has a lot of issues, but my main issue are IAPs and the fact that the whole game is build around them. Everything is revolving around coins and gems. Resting/potions/boosts/upgrading/shield fixing/using chests costs gems/coins the rest of the mechanics (kills/quests/achievements/6 slashes/clicking rabbit holes etc.) gives you exp/coins/gems. You are left with 0 gems at the end of the Nanook quest though (if you don't buy them) because you will spend most of them on potions. I wish you could buy and store potions with gems, because right now those potions feel like a real rip-off. They cost a lot if you buy them during a battle and they are really, really rare to find in the world. I see now that your target paying audience are the children who will beg their parents to buy some gems for potions or for reviving after they get killed by the boss after coming so far. Explains the difficulty curve as well. So, as mentioned there is no way to get 99 gems to unlock the second world, which is pretty much a pay-wall. It feels like the first chapter is a very frustrating free to play demo and each additional chapter costs 6$. Hm...

In conclusion; Aduro is the greediest god of them all.

3. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #43 Primoz, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    Another issues/bug report.

Those trees could look better, or at least don't allow the player to get to them.
    [​IMG]

There seem to be some issues with some achievements. It says I need to collect 225 items, but I actually need 250. This is just an example, there are more achievements with this issue.
    [​IMG]

Got stuck on several more places, the minimap shows the location. If you can't make out the specific location let me know.
    Right side as you enter the goblin camp. You fall down from the village's side and then get stuck.
    [​IMG]

You can walk on the stone and then get stuck here.
    [​IMG]

Stuck on the stone right from the den of the wolf boss.
    [​IMG]

Bug; footsteps sometimes spawn long vertical black/grey lines.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Missing texture and collider on both sides behind where the final boss is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bug; sound/music not working when restarting the game sometimes.

Not really an issue, but iOS players have found out long ago that daily rewards are sometimes bound to the device's time. I tried it with this game as well and sure enough the daily quests restart when setting the date to a different day. Maybe you should fix that, because right now I can get 4 gems per 10 minutes.

4. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    Hi Primoz - thanks so much for all the detailed feedback! I can't tell you how much we appreciate it. The bug report stuff is super-helpful too.

Thanks for checking out our game and providing so much info and in-depth thoughts on it :)

5. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    Just to let you know that we're pretty much ready for global launch with Beast Quest! We're looking at a May 7th release.

Here's a Let's Play we recently published from the second world, if you're interested ;-)

6. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    Good to hear. Can we expect any changes based on the feedback you recieved during the soft-launch?

7. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    Yes!

While we've been fixing bugs (thanks again for everyone who picked them out and reported them here), we also tweaked the difficulty curve based on the comments in this thread. Krazbal, Nanook and others are still tough enemies - you're not going to coast through them (well, unless you're extremely good, anyway) but they're not quite as punishing as before. We're not making Bloodborne, after all :D

We've also improved the way runes appear to try and enhance the overall sense of progression in the game. And finally we're still looking at incorporating ranged attacks, although that will probably come in a future update.

8. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    I'm actually enjoying it a ton. I love the free roam / collect & upgrade aspect. Polished visuals and controls are tight. It's a great game. Appears to be very fair as well IAP wise.

9. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Are there any spells in this game or will there ever be? Or equipment that changes the look of the character now that it's out of soft launch?

10. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    How long has this been out?

11. ass_man

ass_man Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Only played a few quests worth but so far I'm really enjoying it. The only issue I have is that you can't kill the rabbits!

12. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Loving this but how do you save?

13. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Priz how do you expect the devs to eat? My buddy is on the last area already. No addition charges except the 6$ a chapter. So it's a wonderful game for 12$. Not bad. The coast of a bigmac and soda.

14. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    Okay I watched 5 mins of gameplay and it looked exactly like something I'd love. To reply to the guy who doesn't like it but did provide a big review I must admit I don't expect this game to play like Infinity Blade. While that's a great game for combat only, it's obvious why they were able to make such beautiful and engaging battles, because that's all Infinity Blade is. Besides some also beautiful cut screens.

This game however looks like a fun and beautiful action game with lots of areas to explore. I will be purchasing and suspect you guys will make good money. Most of which will go into making this game more engaging and replyable.

15. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    Haha, sorry about that! Tom's supposed to be a hero, rabbit-slaying isn't really his deal ;-)

There's no way to change Tom's appearance at the moment - but there are runes and artifacts that you can collect that apply magical effects to your gear.

The game auto-saves frequently, after pretty much everything you do - eg picking up herbs, slaying wolves, opening chets.

16. Luciom

Luciom Member

Apr 6, 2015
    What is this emblem of the castle that asks for a password? i went to the site they indicated but couldn't find a password ("magic word" or something like that).

17. Aldex Oun

Aldex Oun Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    #57 Aldex Oun, May 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
    The password for the Emblem of the Castle is
    TALADON

18. MD_VP

MD_VP Member

May 7, 2015
    Awesome open world game, however I don't like the fighting style! I wanna be able to move around and attack from different angles, not just lef, right, block with the shield and swipe!

19. thewickedbadger

thewickedbadger Well-Known Member

May 31, 2012
    Ran into a problem i purchased the 3.99 pack and now the game force quits. I've restarted phone and closed out other apps.

20. queenbee

queenbee Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I just rested and then accidentally clicked on the Potion button. Please do a quick check if HP is full to avoid wasting potions.

Other than that, I'm loving the game! The freebies (coins, herbs) you can pick up are actually quite generous. and THANK YOU for the offline mode! ...which brings me to my next question, is there a way to transfer between devices? I'm playing on my iPad now but I'll be installing it on my Android phone too. Haven't played around with the fb sync as well. Hopefully it's possible, or planned in a future patch!

All in all, this is a great game! Keep it up!