Universal Beast Quest (by Miniclip.com)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 10, 2015.

1. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    I've only put about 20 minutes into this so far, but I'm really liking what I'm seeing/playing. It's totally worth checking out if you have a Canadian account. Hell, I'd almost go as far to say that the game is worth creating a Canadian account just for it.

2. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    No online requirement? Seriously??? This is MINE!!!!

3. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Great impressions. Are there any spells/skills or anything of the sort?

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

I totally agreed with these impressions. This looks like Freemium done right.

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Yeah, it's true. It doesn't require to be online all time.

6. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    Hey everyone, I'm part of the Community team at Miniclip - thanks for all your great feedback on Beast Quest so far!

If you've got any questions about the game just let me know. And of course, any further feedback will be very welcome :)

7. Opheus

Opheus Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Have they fixed the gold bug ?

8. Tutt22

Tutt22 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    I was looking forward to this game ever since I saw a preview for it a while back. I must say, I'm not disappointed! I've been playing for a while and decided to pick up the 50% gold pickup IAP and the improved map IAP. I'm considering the one about the special items but I don't know if it will be worth it or not. Are the special items only good in that particular area?

9. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    We'll check this out now. Can you tell us more about what happened when your coin balance changed? You lose coins when you get defeated in battle, or you can spend them when you level up, but if you can tell us what happened in your case that'd be a huge help!

10. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #30 Primoz, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    I'd like to hear more about those IAPs. What's the "improved" map IAP for? And the special items one? Does it give you items you couldn't acquire in the game without IAP? Are those items more powerful than the best items you can find in the game? How much grinding is there? Is the gold doubler necessary or only there to eliminate grinding?

How is the difficulty of the game? Are there several difficulties to choose from, if not, is the game too easy?

How's the combat compared to Infinity Blade?

How large is the world?

What's the second currency (gems) for?

11. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    There are the usual character trait progressions, health, attack and shield as well as potions but so far I haven't seen any spells. It would be cool to be able to use magical attacks/buffs too, perhaps that is later in the game.

12. Tutt22

Tutt22 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    The improved map IEP just makes quest item show up on your map. The special items just increases the drop rate of special items just like the drop rate of gold. I'm finding the difficulty level just right for me, but I am no game master by any stretch.

13. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    1. The unlock IAPs are excellent. It feels fair and I like that the compass is optional.

2. You should show the player how to swipe attack in the tutorial battle. I thought the attack button was the only way until my finger slipped. Its really cool that you get different directional attacks with the swipes and feels more immersive than tapping the attack button.

3. Will there be magical attacks or ranged attacks possible in combat?

4. Combat is really fun, the world feels interesting and the exploration rewards are good, quests feel well paced for the platform and it seems to walk a good balance to avoid feeling like grinding.

Keep up the good work.

14. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    Special items carry over into any world, although some are more useful in one world than another.

It reveals all the locations of treasure chests, and quest items.

This boosts the chance of getting an artifact piece. These are powerful items you can equip - you can still find artifacts without this IAP though, of course. This just increases the chances that you'll find them in loot drops.

There's just 1 difficulty setting, but we'll leave it to others in this thread to answer whether it's too easy or not :) We would love to hear thoughts on that, for sure.

Well, pretty large! Check out some of the videos to get an idea :)

It can be used to unlock the second world, to buy potions, revive you if you've been defeated in battle, unveil items, and also for buying coins.

EDIT: Whoops, Tutt22 and others answered before I could :D

15. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    Thanks for the feedback! That's really useful to know with the swipe attacks, I'll discuss this with our developers. With magic attacks, there are already some runes in the game that have magical effects. I don't want to give too much away at this stage but ranged attacks are something we've been looking at :)

16. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #36 Primoz, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    Thanks for the quick answers! I'm definitely making a canadian appstore account now. The things you can get with IAPs sound like something that I wouldn't want in an RPG anyway hah. I wouldn't mind exploring a world as nicely looking as this and I wouldn't mind grinding with a combat such as this.

17. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #37 Primoz, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    Bug: you can walk across the broken bridge at the start of the game, when you haven't gotten to the camp yet, after you've talked to the girl you can no longer walk on it.
    [​IMG]

Another bug. I stumbled upon the same area as redribbon on this video at the 57 minutes mark. But I fell through the ground. It's pretty frustrating because there is no option to go back to the menu, so the only thing that fixed it was restarting the game.
    [​IMG]

Another issue. I don't like that the camera goes through all the objects, it's not very aesthetic and I know Unity3D has assets that can fix this. It wasn't really an issue before, but I got into a couple of fights where this happened:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, there is a second enemy behind the tree and you can see his shadow. It's a ranged enemy and it could be really frustrating since you can't predict his attack when you can't see him.

I'll post my impressions on the game later, I'll have to play some more. But I dislike the run button and swipe feels kind of "floaty". Maybe I'm just too used to the joystick and swipe to look. There appear to be no combos (based on the attack direction), which is disappointing and makes the combat dull.

Kind of skeptic on the previously mentioned "fair IAP", because everything seems to revolve around coins. Upgrading armor/shield/attack/fixing the shield/resting all cost coins.

I wish there was an option to hide those buy coins and buy gems icons from the UI.

I dislike the icon of the game. Looks generic and makes me think it's another generic 2D game, it really doesn't do justice to this game.

18. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    Thanks for the feedback Primoz - we're working on fixing those bugs you've found at the moment.

Interesting feedback on the controls (run and swipe). We've had pretty positive feedback on this so far in our playtests so this will probably stay as it is for now. We have had a few people say that the swiping feels "floaty" though so that is something we're considering.

Combos would be great for sure and is something we've looked at already. The icon is just a draft at the moment :) So we'll definitely be changing that.

19. Tutt22

Tutt22 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    I've noticed a sharp spike in difficulty for me in this game. I have to go and defeat the marauder leader in their camp. I can't even get to the guy without getting killed in their camp. I've been doing some grinding but I still can't beat him. This is taking some of the fun from the game for me and even though I have spent money on the game, I am feeling as though I might be done. I love the game and it's great but this quest is too hard and there's nothing else to do.

I wonder if you considered being able to buy potions with gold? If you had a stash, that would help with difficulty. Also, if you removed the penalty of dying. I know you can pay for it but I've already paid for a bunch of stuff. Paying for that doesn't seem right. I've already put money in this game and feel like I've hit a pay wall so I'm not putting anything else in it anytime soon…

20. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    Hi Tutt22 - yes, this is one of the toughest battles in the game up to this point. A couple of things that might help: try repairing your shield before battle, and also buying the first Aduro's Blessing (can be bought with coins) - this will give you a better chance.

Really appreciate your comments on the difficulty curve (or spike) - that's super-useful feedback and I've relayed that to the developers. If anyone else is having difficulty on this section (or any others) please let me know!