Universal Bean's Quest (by Kumobius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Jul 17, 2011.

1. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly...

I've been following this thread for some time. Here's my spin.

After watching the video I see Bean's levels are maybe slightly longer than League of Evil's levels.
    League of Evil gives you over 130 levels.
    Bean gives you 8. I know the developers promise 16 more but until they deliver, promises are nothing but promises. Alot of great developers have made promises over the years that never came about.
    The #1 concern in a platformer is controls. From the reports I would give Bean an 'A+' and LoE an 'A-'.
    The #2 concern is content. On this LoE gets an 'A+' and Bean gets an 'F'.
    That being said, LoE is $2 and Bean is $3. Bean gives me about 25 minutes of the best platform action and LoE gives me weeks of great enjoyment.

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    hmm... stage 4, any tips on getting through this so you can make the par jumps?

[​IMG]

3. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Stage 1-6... how the **** ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO THAT IN 2 JUMPS?!?!?!?

4. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Oh... I figured it out... lol...

[​IMG]

woohoo!!!

5. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    This thread has more content than the game. :p

Can't wait for more update to this, 8 levels is just too short. Hope it sells.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Please take this to PM's.

edit: Good gravy I almost made the mistake of linking this thread on the front page.

7. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    you're right... sorry for getting all of this started...

this is a Mario like game... and god knows little ones like Mario... and might end up getting online without their parents permission, finding their way into this thread, and end up learning what being an adult is all about (yes... talking about how little sex you get, and how bad your sig. other is at [moral] oral in a game chat online...) -

so to the PMs we will go... because god knows I want to hear about how meow's man would be better in bed if he treated her bean like this video game...

BACK TO THE GAME...

has anyone else gotten the 2 jumps on stage 6?

need help? I'll help ya!! lol...

8. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    so yup... ummm... has anyone gotten the pink cat thingy in stage 3? I can't find it for the life of me... it's the only one I'm missing...

**edit**

and of course, I found it right after posting... ha... usually happens that way huh...

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

If you guys don't stop I'm going to start doling out time outs. I'm posting about this game and want to be able to link to this thread without all this off topic (and frankly, inappropriate) chatter.

PM's, use 'em. Last warning.

10. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #90 syntheticvoid, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
    and I was totally wrong, now I've got all but Stage 8 pink cat thingys...

So how do I hit that button, and still make it up to where I can jump down to the cat??

damn, nevermind, I see how... lol... EVERY TIME... maybe I should just type the questions in, NOT post them, and go back to the game... always seem to find out what I need to know right after I type out my question...

11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    front page TA review... WOOHOO!!! Very nice one too... =oD

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Very nice bar one flaw, which is the one that prevented me from buying the game. I guess we all have different priorities but I'm one of the people who thought Sonic 4 was too short. I'll be all over this if the dev can shuffle out a few updates as promised.

13. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    This game's length can be reasoned and justified (for now) in all the ways it has been in this thread. This game's price, cannot. If ever there was a clear-cut case of a game that absolutely must not have been released above the minimum price point, surely this is it? And yet, the developers chose to sell it for $2.99. That sort of gall is enough to turn me right off.

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I'm not sure I'd describe developers releasing their games at a price they thing is reasonable as "gall". I'm happy to see more developers releasing great games without pandering to the bottom of the barrel pricing.

15. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    I really hope Apple institutes a $5 minimum charge for games. That would make the whiners leave the app store, create some quality control, and make people feel like that don't have so many 'disposable' 99 cent apps.

And maybe devs could actually make some money instead of practically (or literally) giving away their games.

16. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Pricing is a nightmare as a decision for a developer. And also might be a life or death decision for most studios...
    Personally I was happy to support this developer with less money than I put in a beer.

Anyway, I really like Bean Quest, great app. I have been waiting for a game taking the game mechanic of one of my favorite time killer game: Super Spikes Dislike.

This one does it well and goes along that retro gaming look I like (but with a little shame).

17. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    I'd never see apple doing this. A premium games section seems like the more likely route, and juts in general, an easier way to get eyes in the appstore without charting or getting a one week feature.

Anyway, just bought it, and I love the production quality of this. I look forward to updates for this, and the bounce counter idea really increases replay value. I really wish this does awesome in the store so that some more content is viable from the devs POV.

18. tocameelarcade

tocameelarcade Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Its a great game :D yes it has few levels, but completing ALL the cha lentes Its what mame it fun! Like League of Evil or Mod Speedrun :). Its an easy recommendation. Best wishes to the developer!

19. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

Game Impressions

Definitely too short. It would make a good demo/lite version.

Toppling physics blocks - appear in only one level.
    Rolling ball - appears in only one level.
    Walls/platforms that can be togggled on/off with switches - appear in only one level.

Based on the immediate promise that another 16 levels are coming, which should have been in from the start, it's obvious that the makers feel the same way about the lack of content as everyone else.

Also, my main complaint, why the on-screen buttons? Just use the left side of the screen for LEFT and the right side for RIGHT. You don't need on-screen buttons. Seriously, that should have been an option from the start, if not the default control method.

20. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    WOOHOO!!!

Update's live!!! New world is available!!!

**edit**

all additions...

- World 2 is here - Bounce your way to victory through 9 all-new levels
    - added game center support including 10 achievements and 2 leaderboards
    - added options to change control style or hide control arrows.
    - improved performance on low-end devices.
    - added 3d audio
    - fixed various bugs.