Universal Bean's Quest (by Kumobius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Jul 17, 2011.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Great game. Bought this instantly and have been playing this a lot, well worth it

2. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Damn. Looks good, but only 8 levels and not even Game Center enabled makes this a no buy for me at any price. :(

3. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    After debating sometime wether or not to buy this app, I decided to take the plunge. I've been a HUGE fan of platform games since my childhood days with games like Mario and Mega Man and with all the positive reviews in this thread plus the game being universal I think I'm making a safe investment.

Also a big thanks to "your personal robot" for taking the time to describe the game. People like me do appreciate it.

I just hope the developers keep their promise in expanding the game with more levels soon. Thats the only thing I'm a little scared of.

4. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they will cause they already have screenshots of it. And they posted here a few hours ago assuring everyone that they're "busting their balls to get the 2nd world out".

Great game so far - like having a specific amount of jumps rather than a time limit.

5. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Great game. Looking forward to more levels. :)

Sega Master System cover! :eek:

6. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Any way we can get a d-pad option rather than the arrows on opposite sides of the screen please?

7. TheCatsMeow

TheCatsMeow Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    #67 TheCatsMeow, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
    After playing this game I now know how it feels to be in love with someone you can't have, like a married man, or a homosexual man, etc.
    I am in absolute love with this game, but it's such a d**k tease because it only gives you 8 levels, leaving you panting and dripping wet ..(standing in the err..rain) wanting more!

This game is just breath taking.
    Nintendo quality.
    Chillingo or some other big name publisher would have snapped this up in an instant,
    But they would have snapped up most the revenue too, I just hope this game gets the recognition it truly deserves, because in my opinion, this is far better than all of the last 10 chillingo released games put together.

The graphics and gameplay, sounds,you can tell it's been nurtured with tender loving care from head to toe, seriously, no corners were cut here, nothing but extremely high quality polish and an awesome sega like feel.
    It's only every so often that a game like this comes around, like the classic Mario!

Even though they're are many many games in the AppStore with more content and less of a price doesn't lower the value of this great title at all! This is a one-of-a-kind classic platformer, not some cheap physics puzzler clone with bugs and lownpolish that wasbquickly pumped out to make the big companies more money!
    No matter how many games you get for $1, those games aren't and never will be"Bean quest" and while your playing your seventh doddle jump clonemyou'll be fantasizing about mr beanie!

and even if you buy 10 games for 99c, your still not playing bean quest are you? No your not,! Yes you got a bunch of gamesmfor chewp! But its quality over quantity!
    You'll be wishing you had just paid the $3 and got beans quest the first place.

I admit myself,I looked at this game a few times and thought the same, I was humming and hurrying, trying to decide if I want Bean quest.or a bunch of other chillingo games, that they've been popping out like aboriginals on welfare popping out kids for baby bonus, instead.

I was Thinking that it's a bit expensive for the small amount of content, and compared to other games, but then it was like a ghost turkey slapped me and said "b'tch PLEASE! Get a hold of yourself.It's a measly $3!
    just because other big games have gotten you accustomed to that $1 price tag doesn't mean that paying $3 for a game is any less of a bargain! It absolutely is, where else can you buy hours of entertainment for $3 other than a hooker in Thailand?

Chilingo, EA , gameloft and other big names automatically get millions of copies sold for their name alone, no matter what the content is!
    This, on the other hand, is a small first-time dev team!
    That are doing an absolute incredible outstanding job, mind you! Their showing the quailty and gameplay of a huge long term company in game developing!

They are warranted to put a slightly higher price tag on it for that reason!
    Especially the fact that it's universal! It's actually CHEAP for universal.
    Games like angry birds HD cost more than that, and their a huge company, and their restricted to the iPad only! You are actually getting an amazingly cheap deal by paying a measily $3 for a beautifully executed retro nintendo quality platformer that the AppStore is seriously lacking in.

If that isn't enough to convince you to splurge the extra 2$ and buy it,
    Then think to yourself how much money $3 is in the real world? ..It can barely buy you a cheeseburger at mcdonalds that wouldnt even curb a 4 year old girls hunger!

So instead of that cheesburger or mcnugget meal, (itd go straight to you ass anyway!)mwhy not spend that $3 on a few hours of entertainment instead? The levels would probably take an hour to get through. Whilst trying to collect all the gems, then an extra hour or so going back and hunting the harder gems and completing the levels in the least "bounces" and everything.

I know $3 in the AppStore world is kinda alot/mediumish, compared to all the 99c games,
    but that's what the big corporations are trying to do to you!they are trying to brainwash you into thinking anythingnhigher than a 99c price tag isntbacceptable! They charge a low price because they have the customers and brand name behind them to back them up and to push out the little guys who then can't feed their starving family.because of these big shot d*cks!
    WHY WONT U THINK OF THE CHIlDREN PPL!

All in all this is an awesome game, worth more than the small price tag, even with it's currently limited content,
    But we all know more is coming soon, so why hold off when you could be playing it now?

Phhhewwwwwww /Rant

That is what Too much caffiene, too much insomnia,And lack of sleeping pills does to you ..
    Ranting about a fx**king game about a bean at 4am when I have work Tommorow!goddammit, but it's seriously THaT good..I'm not even going to do ANY work tommorow, going to play beans quest all day, woo hoo! Way more productive than spreadsheets!

Please Devs Dont cheapen the games image by lowering the price for the sooks,
    it's already a bargain as it is, and bumpy road made it huge with their 2.99$ price tag and now their probably rolling in money, which ultimately rewards us because they have more money to develop more wicked games. Which is what I'd love to see from you guys. Beans Quest will be the new fruit ninja!

Cant wait to see what lies ahead. and feel sorry for the noobs who are missing out on the action :)

Don't bust your balls too much! We don't want you to rush itl we can clearly see your extremely talented at what you do, and those who truly admire and respect your work will be willing to wait as long as it takes, and until then enjoy the replayablitiy of the already awesome levels ^^ whatever your doing is working fine!

8. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I'm so with you! Great to see others falling in love too.

9. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    How do the controls work on this one? Good?

10. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    How long does it take to beat the game? There's only 8 levels?!

11. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    It's one world, 2 more to come. It's doesn't take a lot of time, but you'll love every second. And you will play every levels more than twice. There are some achievements to get :) And you will WANT to replay these levels. It's that good!

12. nikhsterboi

#73 nikhsterboi, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  13. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Is the picture on the checkpoint of a USB thumbdrive.. Don't know if its cause I'm a geek or what.. lol.. =D

14. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Music and graphics both look superb; I agree that it needs at least triple the content though...

15. nikhsterboi

That'w how much it's getting. Developer states that there will be a total of 24 levels.

16. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Btw, anyone played both Blobster (ATM my favourite platform) and Bean's Quest? I'm very interested in a side-by-side comparison for level design, music, controls.

17. TheCatsMeow

TheCatsMeow Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    #78 TheCatsMeow, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
    I can't believe how long I ranted for..lol
    It's a wonderful game! Glad others aren't afraid to take a little risk and buy this game when knowing their isn't much content currently.
    People need to take a walk on the wild side! Ha ha!

I've played both beans quest and blobster, played about 5 levels of blobster, and 3 levels of beans quest ( I had to get to bed so I didn't stay for the long haul) but from what I can gather from the levels I have played, the two are very very different. They don't feel like the same genre.

Blobster you get a heap of levels, but their not as well thought out as beans quest, nor as highly polished, the graphics are very poor in blobster, to me it almost looks rushed.
    I'm a huge fan of chillingo but I'm not a huge fan of all these half assed games they've been releasing lately, and I have a suspicions feeling that EA could be behind this after recently reading that EA bought a part of chillingo or something along the lines of that.
    Chillingo have some absolute winners, like cut the rope, feed me oil, and the soon to come contre jour. But it seems as if some of there other released games are released solely for revenue raising, since the devs probably charge less due to lack of experience, so it's a double win for chillingo Or EA to pay them a small fee, then get a bunch of sales.

Anyway, blobsters controls drove me crazy, could barely even tolerate the first few levels. I voluntarily stopped playing blobster after a few levels and played another game instead, but with beans quest I didn't want to stop but I had to because it was 4am and I had work the next day.

Both blob and bean have colorful interfaces, but bean does it way better, beans does it in an awesome retro sega way, and blobster does it in a kindergarten painting sort of way.

The controls on bean feel awesome and almost innovative the way the bean bounces itself, blobsters controls seem alot more straight forward when that's not the case at all, I could control my bean perfectly almost instantly, but I couldn't control my blob, I had to fling him honestly for about 5 minutes to pass the first level I think it was..the level in which there was a platform up high in the air, aiming is impossible, it isn't fun to spend 5 minutes flinging a blob to get it to land on a stupid platform. I don't think I'll ever play blobster again, but I'll definitely be playing beans quest again!

Blobster to me, is more of a strategy game, since flinging the blob to certain places is the most difficult obstacle you'll ever have to surpass.
    Beans quest is definately a platformer. No doubt about it.

18. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    well now... I know what I"m gonna be doing the rest of the day... hehehe... trying to get to the goal in the least amount of jumps I can... =oD

[​IMG]

19. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    yeah... kidding... right...

=oP

No, you're right, i'd have to screw up pretty big to get her upset with me these days... =oP

But game...

TOTALLY worth it!! I'm only on the 3rd stage... but I"m getting everything I can... all diamonds, on par with jumps, and that little pink guy... nice to see this game getting more play than I thought it would... gonna have to leave a 5 star review, and make some room in my sig for it!