Universal Bean Dreams (by Kumobius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Dec 3, 2014.

1. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Same here, much better than the original, it also looks awesome.

2. Mr Kumobius

Mr Kumobius Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

I'm super happy to see everyone enjoying the game and especially the seemingly unanimous agreement that it's better than the original! :D

Regarding the difficulty compared to the first game -- yes, Bean Dreams definitely starts easier and the difficulty doesn't yet reach the levels of the final world of Bean's Quest.

This was a very conscious decision and something we wrestled with. Obviously it made sense on making the difficulty curve smoother than the original. I think everyone here would agree that Bean's Quest's "difficulty curve" was more of a difficulty cliff... :)

A different question is why doesn't the game get as hard as Bean's Quest? To be honest the answer is: there's more to come. We already have updates in development, currently being refined and polished. Just like BQ, Time Surfer and Duet we'll be doing updates.

If you release a game and your first release is too hard -- it's difficult to undo that mistake. Adding more content for those that enjoy a challenge; that's easier and more sensible in our minds.

Also, you might have noticed the new world map structure allows for branching content. This was a very intentional design that we believe will allow us to add extra content that doesn't feel mandatory for the player to progress (which can be emphasised by the requirement to earn stars from level achievements to unlock worlds.)

For example, we're experimenting with a "Challenge Island" right now that will require A LOT of stars to unlock -- meaning you will need to be an expert player to be able to explore it... but that's part of the fun! To be a challenge to reach that content and also a challenge to beat it.

3. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Just finished Bean Dreams at 100% with all achievements. It was a blast and I can't wait for those new levels :)

4. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Woo! I found out how to break through the horde of 30 jump scores for the first world. I didn't like being late to the party at rank 22 for that leaderboard. Guess I should be taking another look at these levels :)

5. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Nice one, Matt. I knew if it could be done you'd be the one to do it.

6. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I got the achievement for level 4 of world 2 but GC didn't save it.

7. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Kumobius is possibly the most consistently awesome developers on iOS.
    I have a page on my iPad that I refer to as my "Classics Page". There are nothing but classic games on this page.
    It has 20 games on the page. Kumobius now accounts for 1/5 of this page,

5/5

8. klb.

klb. Active Member

Dec 17, 2010
    It's really good, well done dev! I like platformers but sometimes they just don't work on iOS. This concept works flawless!

Duet is one of my favorite games on iOS too. Unique and challenging gameplay and also something, poetic, about it. Guess I'll make a kumobois map, and the only other dev map I have is simogo!

Laser cat: I got slightly curios about your other "classics", want to share? slightly off topic though I guess.

9. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Sure, glad to share.
    It's missing a lot of classics which haven't remained on my device - most notably the Simogo classics which have large file sizes and low replay value, so they get deleted.

Attached Files:

10. cabuckn2

cabuckn2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2014
    The music, gameplay, and seeing the "more levels" tease at the end, made me smile :)

11. MrGreed

MrGreed Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Well worth the $3 entry fee

Awesome game, much much easier n thus enjoyable than the first

Can NOT wait for the new levels

Downloaded and beat the game in less than 2 hours but so much fun, the music makes it honestly

12. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    How is this on the ipad? So far I rarely like iOS platformers but given all the praise here I want to give it a go

13. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Just finished it today on my iPad Mini Retina. It worked great for me. Can't say how it would be on a full sized iPad, but I would imagine it would be fine.

Got the golden jump badge and 100% fruit on every level. Now I need to get 2 final achievements: Triple Play and Stacker, and figure out how to get my last Axolotl (on Marble Mountain 5).

14. #54 imcookie, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    Check out my video on YouTube

Hi there guys I have uploaded a video showing some gameplay of Bean Dreams. I also share my thoughts (for what they are worth) via in game commentary.
    This is only my 3rd video so don't be too harsh but constructive criticism is welcome.

There will be uploads everyday ranging from old school retro to iOS to modern PC gaming.

Peace x

15. I have no idea why I cant link my video correctly sorry about that :confused:

16. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    http://youtu.be/7Gf5hUo717I

Posted for you, I think you need a certain post count to do links.

17. AKr0ss

AKr0ss New Member

Nov 29, 2014
    Good game and also fun to play! I lauve it!

18. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    I know this is from the first game, but this thread is more active and I'm so pumped to have finally done this, 2 years later! If you finished the first game, you'll appreciate the difficulty of this GC achievement. Surely there's gotta be like less than 25 people who have managed this?!

[​IMG]

19. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    What's the trick for getting 5 jumps on the last Fun Factory level? I can't seem to do better than 6... :(

20. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Stop rolling at the top of the second slide and then bounce up both bubbles, then it's just 4 more jumps to the goal.
    I've tried getting 4 jumps here by bouncing directly from the top bubble to the lowest yellow platform, but I don't think you can get high enough off of the bottom bubble to get the height off the top bubble. It's frustrating because if you jump directly on top of the top bubble, you'll make it.

Fun Factory is currently the only world where I can't get any jumps lower than gold on any level, so it makes me think there's a shortcut somehow somewhere...