Universal Beach Games by Donut Games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by copaeci, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    It really baffles me why the hackers do what they do. Its not like there's anything to be gained by having your "name" at the top of the boards. Getting there by cheating (when its so obvious you've cheated) doesn't even seem like it could be worth whatever trivial effort it takes to do it. I guess they just get some cheap thrill out of messing up the boards...:rolleyes: I've been playing Fruit Ninja for 3 years now and recently finally broke 1600 in arcade mode. That's a pretty good score...but theres 300,000 above me on the boards. I've scrolled down the list and its page after page of people of people with scores like 999,999,999. Stupid.

2. Cowboy.Henk

Cowboy.Henk Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Male
    NL
    Hi Danny Donut,

What do you think about iCloud synchronization? See post #93.

PS: You got some nice scores yourself!!!!

3. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Game Center achievement points have been added to make Beach games more exciting! Only 99 cents and no BS IAP!

4. krolis

krolis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    PhD student
    Lausanne, Suisse
    Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the update 1.02!
    What about a pesky balloon bug, with Skill level 16 where you need to throw balloon as far as 49 yards away? It isn't possible, and it makes no sense to have mastery level which is not reachable :(

5. krolis

krolis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    PhD student
    Lausanne, Suisse
    Hi everyone!

In my high scores list I made a table with all mastery levels and requirements. All you need to do to know the exact requirement for any level mastery in any game is just to enter the level number!

[​IMG]

However the table is not full yet as I am struggling with Water Skiing, and with balloon throwing I didn't get the first mastery levels in Endurance.
    So, people, help me please to complete the table!
    PM me your levels and requirements for these:
    Balloon: Endurance, Special
    Water skiing: Endurance, Skill, Special

Please also indicate which step (out of 3) the requirement is.
    Thanks!
    Link for the table in my signature.

6. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Thanks for the update!

7. the fish

the fish Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Vienna
    Ok. So the 49 yards seem impossible to me. I hit what I think to be the best angle after you know how many turns and get 47.08. Same angle with one more or one less turns is worse. I don't think there is any chance to hit even much more than 47.10. If someone knows, please let me know...

8. Zevious Zoquis

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Yeah I'm pretty sure 49 is impossible. I've thrown a lot of balloons and never gotten higher than 47.04...

9. krolis

krolis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    PhD student
    Lausanne, Suisse
    My top was 47.07. So according to the reports, 47.08 seems the toppest top :)
    Maybe in some later updates this issue might be addressed, who knows.

How I see it, there might be 2 possibilities to address that:
    1. Make guy advancing in his skills, allowing him to throw further and further, as new levels reached.
    2. Cycle level with balloon throwing on 45-46-47 all the way to lvl(infty), or maybe even worse, 47-47-47 :D

10. DonutGames

DonutGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jul 12, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    The 49 yards goal is already fixed and will be included in the v1.03 update.
    Don't have an ETA on the upload though, but the fix is coming. :)

As for iCloud sync, we've considered it several times (not only for Beach Games) since it's a really nice feature, but from a small developers point-of-view it's a though decision... Spending time on implementing iCloud sync in 36 games (say it will take us 1 week per game to fully integrate), means that in order not to set us back, the iCloud feature alone has to target enough new customers to pay us back 36 weeks of work, which I'm quite sure it won't. :(

11. DonutGames

Patreon Indie

Jul 12, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    The 45-46-47 approach was exactly what we did for the upcoming v1.03 :D
    We also had to cap the "Score X points in one game" goal in a similar way, since that would have trigged the same problem later on.

12. Cowboy.Henk

Oct 13, 2012
    Male
    NL
    Good to see that you are considering iCloud synchronizing. :)

13. Cowboy.Henk

Oct 13, 2012
    Male
    NL
    @donut games: could you guys please remove the 5 hackers from the leaderboards by setting upper limits? They are the top 5 in frisbee, and also appear in some other lists It's a great little game. Still enjoying it!

14. DonutGames

Patreon Indie

Jul 12, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    I understand your frustration over the cheaters. :(
    But setting upper limits on the leaderboards usually just result in new hacked scores being posted, only this time below the new limit. Which kind of makes it harder to tell which scores are legit.
    So in a bizarre way, unreasonably high scores are preferable over almost-legit-looking ones, cause the former is easier to ignore if you're aiming for being the REAL #1 player in the world.

The best thing though would be if Apple allowed developers to ban or at least flag certain Game Center accounts, so that their scores only show up on their own devices and not for the rest of the world.
    Also, adding the ability for developers to attach verification data (of their own choice) along with the score when uploading Game Center data, would allow us to go through the top spots on a leaderboard and easily figure out which ones are bogus.
    While it wouldn't stop the really experienced hackers, it would keep away the BIG majority of lamers and fake posts. ;)

15. krolis

krolis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    PhD student
    Lausanne, Suisse
    #115 krolis, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    Maybe dropbox sync is easier? :) have no idea though...

And thanks for taking care about BT bugs!

16. Cowboy.Henk

Oct 13, 2012
    Male
    NL
    I guess that you are right that these obscene scores are less bad than realistic scores, in a way.

Apparently, iOS 7 offers new options to developers to ban malicious scores. Also I found an option in gc for users to report cheaters. I wonder what that does.

17. krolis

krolis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    PhD student
    Lausanne, Suisse
    It existed since the beginning of time (though, recalculated to the birthday of GC). What it does? Nothing. How many cheaters I reported, they are still there, alive and competing with each other on scoring ridiculous points... :(

18. Zevious Zoquis

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    If I understand correctly, its possible for devs to set an upper limit, and then to adjust that upper limit at will? If that's the case, then perhaps you could just set a new limit every couple weeks or so that is just slightly lower than the current hack score which would eliminate the cheaters. Then, once a bunch of new cheat scores appear you set a new upper limit just low enough to eliminate them. As long as the scores are obviously hacks its easy to see them. I would think once a certain amount of time had elapsed most of the cheats would have moved on to other games and gradually you'd have fewer and fewer on your boards...

The cheaters aren't much of an issue when there's only three or four of them because its easy for me to just ignore those top few positions and see where I am relative to the current real high scores. They become a huge problem in something like Fruit Ninja where there's possibly thousands and thousands of cheat scores clogging the boards so that I actually don't have any idea where I stand compared to the real high scores because there's no easy way for me to scroll down to the first real scores.

19. krolis

krolis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    PhD student
    Lausanne, Suisse
    Still, there is a guy called Idruw, for instance, who has 1500+ in HG. Do you think it's legit? And he has 600+ in RS, which seem to much for 1 guy. And if you look at his WS, he's best there, too. So what do you think?

20. Zevious Zoquis

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    I think those scores are within the realm of possibility...