Universal Beach Games by Donut Games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by copaeci, Sep 10, 2013.

1. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    T&C Sufr Designs. Man, I haven't heard that title in awhile. I spent hours playing that game back in the day.

2. DonutGames

DonutGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jul 12, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    Achievements

Seems like many ppl miss the achievements, so we'll go ahead and add them!

It won't be in the upcoming v1.01 update though, which has already been uploaded. Controls have been tweaked (e.g. you can now use swipes in Water Skiing), some additional help has been added and a few bug fixes / tweaks.

I guess the achievements will make it into v1.02 instead.

Man, THAT is a heart warming comment. We love Epyx's old classics!

:D :D :D

It's for the summarized score sheet, and does not affect the gameplay!

The idea behind Beach Games' leveling system, besides serving as motivational sub-goals, is basically that we wanted to give everyone a fair chance at competing.
    By using both individual scores for each sport (which requires pure skill) and the summarized sheet that takes your leveling in account, you can also compete by just being really stubborn. :)

3. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Gotta say I was quite surprised when I fired this up on the Ipad for the first time. The graphics are surprisingly good - there's actually a ton of detail and little animation touches that aren't very easy to see on the smaller Iphone screens...

4. I am adoring this. For the price there's a bunch of variety and beating your last score is addictive.

I though frisbee was best first but am really loving roller skating now.

Sitting pretty at number 1 for that. :p

5. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Is there iCade support?

6. DonutGames

DonutGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jul 12, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    Yes, but only in menus and the sports where it makes sense. E.g. you can't aim and throw the frisbee using the iCade.

7. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    The old school NES feel of this game makes wanna pull my device out of a black sleeve, blow the dust particles off the bottom chip, push it in the console and press the game all the way down, while pressing reset and power to make it work :). I can't compliment it enough, it's so irritating and fun

8. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Worth my buck?

9. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Easily, the gameplay alone is worth it. I have also not had a single crash, no lag and the game responds well to all touch controls on my device. Currently playing on iPhone 4

10. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    which part of this thread would lead you to believe otherwise?

11. TomekSzymek

TomekSzymek Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    That's why I love your games...
    Can't wait to see those achievements :)

12. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Decisions decision. Pick up the game now, or pick up the game once the achievements have been added? =P

13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm not seeing the big need of achievements as they're already in there, just a bit abstracted, I guess. If you see that I'm level 5 in Endurance, Skill, and Special of Water Skiing then you already know just about what crap I've had to do to get there via dozens little mini Water Skiing related achievements that had to be completed in order (like bonus multiplier objectives in Tiny Wings). I guess the only potential advantage of more traditional achievements here is say I had that one fluke game of Frisbee early on where I made 3 discs in one in a row and that was one of the game's achievements, I'd get credit for it as soon as it happened and not potentially games later when that was my specific objective (if that ever is one, no clue).

14. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Male
    Development Manager
    Atlanta, GA
    Wasn't going to download this, but all the positive comments have made me change my mind. Cheers!

15. TomekSzymek

TomekSzymek Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    It doesn't make a difference IMO.
    The achievements will be there soon and, buying the game now, you can enjoy it longer ;)

16. The Gamer Dude

The Gamer Dude Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    I was sitting #1 amongst my friends - until I added sink or swim :) lol. My reflexes aren't what they used to be, still it's really fun to try and beat high scores.

17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While at first I kind of thought, while decent, none of these games individually compares to the potency of the "Rat on a..." series, I'm amazed how the game's hundreds of micro goals really lock me in. As if I was about to put the game down but, crap, just get 14 stars in a run, I can easily do that at least then maybe I'll quit for a bit. ;)

18. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Haha sorry dude. I was sitting #1 until Andy joined the competition so I know how you feel :D

19. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Guys please help me! My hi-scores on GC are not updated. How could I do to remedy? Thanks to all!

20. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    I kinda already suggested this but... I still believe that balloon throwing is weighted too heavily

I am # 2 in the world in skating, skiing and frisbee and only get 77 points, 94 points and 98 points respectively for those

However i am a lousy #24 in balloon throwing but I get 125 points for that?

Doesnt seem to add up...