Universal BattleLore: Command (by Fantasy Flight Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by codeb0t, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Tutt22

Tutt22 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    This game is really good. Love the production values and the game itself. The only thing I wish it had right now is mid level saves. Can't always finish a level and have to start over.

2. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    #22 Jim Shorts, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    I hear you on the mid level save... like when I made a mistake and pressed the wrong button, when I wanted to play a lore defense card that would have saved me.

3. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    2 big strategy games this week; Wars and Battles and from the legendary Fantasy Flight Games from it previous success port on ios Elder Sign: Omens "Battlelore Command" so which one would be the best one?

4. Tutt22

Tutt22 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Yup. But I find also just when you only have about 20 minutes to play or shorter. You don't have time to get a mission in sometimes. I've been burned by that couple times.

5. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm actually not worried about learning curve as much as there not being enough to learn. I've had my fill of simplistic iOS TBS titles, and am looking for something much more intricate. Blood Bowl is what I consider the very minimum of complexity (the bugs, emphasis on randomized elements and convoluted rulebook notwithstanding ;) ).

Thanks for yer analysis! Sounds like BattleLore might be at least complex enough for my taste. Now, before I get busy with another turn-based title, I just need to finish XCOM: EW... and Banner Saga... and FFT:WoTL... and Breach & Clear... and Space Wolf... and Skulls of the Shogun... and the Ravenmark Saga... ;)

6. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Great voice.

Wow! That guy dong the intro has a great voice. If he's not known now he will be soon!

7. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Anyone playing this on a small screen?
    Wondering how it'll be on my iPhone 6+...

8. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    So, you can't save anytime?

9. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    So what would make me pick this up if I already have xcom wq banner saga and such ? Is it a good spin on the formula ? Just wondering since I have to pick between this and oddworld

10. PoloBaquerizoH

Dec 30, 2013
    Hard decision as both games are total different styles, it depends on your tastes, if you are more into the strategy board games or action adventure platforms at its best, I love all what makes Fantasy Flight games and I would pick both games, but if it should only be one, don't hesitate Oddworld is the one, as you don't see never this kind of game on the appstore

11. BoneAppart

BoneAppart Member

Nov 22, 2014
    very nice strategy game. The command restrictions are both challenging and a big plus to the game.

I couldn't find a way to save and play on another device. An iPhone is too small to fully enjoy this game. Unfortunately I had to restart everything back on the iPad... Is it possible now or we'll have to wait for an update?

12. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Thanks I'll pick this up eventually. Online multiplayer would have pushed me more over the edge so I'll just wait

13. PoloBaquerizoH

Dec 30, 2013
    The Witcher Adventure Game is out! This is a hell of a week!

14. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    This looks fantastic. I hope to produce a similar game over the next year. I come from a table top wargaming background and love these kinds of games.

15. Tutt22

Tutt22 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    I am enjoying it on my 6 plus without issue. It would probably be better on a big screen but I prefer playing on my iPhone so I haven't tried it.

16. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    I have xcom and banner saga, love em both. Love battlelore! I'm really enjoying the challenge. It's hard to compare any of these to Oddworld, as that's a totally different genre, and if it is ported well, Oddworld may be your cup of tea. As far as Battlelore and XCOM / Banner Saga... in my opinion Battlelore is a different turn-based approach. I can say Battlelore's production values are on par with Xcom and Banner Saga. I hope there is online multiplayer someday.

17. blebhertz

blebhertz Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    How long is this game?

I'm having a hard time deciding this or the witcher game. I'm leaning toward this tho

18. TokyoDan

Oct 7, 2010
    Played the tutorial and now through half of the first battle of the first campaign. Too early to have an impression. Not really understaning it yet. Can't see the reason for three lanes and the cards that you use to select which units in which lanes you can give orders to during your turn. Seems like an extra and unneeded layer of gameplay mechanics for their own sake just to have original mechanics rather than for making the game fun or tactically interesting. Don't get it yet. Need more time. That said, everything about the game is first rate. Good manual.

War and Battles (which I bought together with this) may be more my style.

19. PoloBaquerizoH

Dec 30, 2013
    #39 PoloBaquerizoH, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    Remember this game is a digital adaptation from a board game :)

20. TokyoDan

Oct 7, 2010
    I was playing the 1st battle after the tutorial (represented by the bottom right flag on the map) and after 5 or 6 turns i had only 2 buildings left to protect, and during the enemy's turn in his 4th phase of the battle (the fist icon), after one enemy unit attacked, the game wouldn't continue. The game didn't hang. All animations and all buttons worked. The enemy just wouldn't perform his final attacks thus ending his turn. There was nothing I could do but exit the battle.