Battleheart strategy, tips, & tricks

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Howlix, Feb 3, 2011.

1. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    I added more items to the wiki. I think people should try to contribute with what items they have. I posted all mine that I currently have descriptions for.

2. makitango

makitango Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I hope that you're not mad at me; I turned some things around in the wiki. Only thing I left out is "classes"... this will take far too long. :D

3. Chakachaka

Chakachaka Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Running: knight, barbarian, wizard (no time stop), cleric. All level 40-44) High score 103.

4. skarsnik

skarsnik Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Singapore
    32 Knight (shout, 2 x 20% deflection), 30 wizard (blizzard, conflagrate, meteor knockdown), 30 witch (poison cloud, horror), 39 bard (attack buff, group heal). High score 108.

Knight has 2 x 20% deflection, rest of the party has 2 x jabe (-12 cooldown).

Tanks and healers were of higher level as I had to use them to level the rest of the DPS to 30.

I cycled the AOE crowd controls (shout, blizz, horror), used conflagrate and meteor knockdown as additional pinch CC options, and spammed bard attack buff and HOT whenever it is up.

I find that up to a certain point (approx 70 kills in), the tank will not be able to survive with more than 2 normal mobs, or even 1 ogre beating on him without cooldowns and all I do is war cry then kite. CC at this stage becomes very important to survive.

Hence I find Ezak's party build of dual wizard, witch and bard interesting - will try it once i finish farming T9 weapons and armor (suiciding at 70 kills right now).

5. I like the Monk, Bard, Witch, Wizard setup.. but all are in the 30's and can't handle high rounds of Doomvale, without going über defensive.

6. makitango

Feb 6, 2011
    #106 makitango, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
    @wiki: Life-drain items got buffed in 1.0.2, please don't change it.

edit: Got a 130 score (silly mistake wiped the tank) with my setup posted a few sites ago. :)

7. Ezak

Ezak Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    #107 Ezak, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
    This is similar to what I used to have, but replaced monk with witch (had dual mage already) and got 116 on second try in doomvale (archers killed my bard in what felt like 2 seconds, but it was really just me being sloppy with CC).
    I'm stopping at 75kills now to get T9 gear, but I think I could easily get much higher score (toons are between 32 and 36 atm) with better gear and level (full T8 except bard in T9, since nothing else drops lol).
    Problem is that I need to grind xp and that gets boring :/

I use -6sec*2 CD reduction on everyone, constant blizzard coupled with 4 knockbacks on short CD is crazy dmg mitigation.
    Cursed Eyeballs are nice and all, but CD reduction trinket is always effective. If you go for dual mage combo, get them CD trinkets
    I can't afford a hole in my rotation, so if it doesn't proc on blizzard, it completely changes the pace of the game and kiting becomes much much harder (especially when all your players are targetted and have to kite).
    Witch is mainly useful because she's ranged cloth damage so she won't aggro like say, a rogue would (and then turn into a useless kiting machine).
    AOE fear can be a lifesaver..

The problem I will face the higher I get is the ever increasing crazy damage of archers, so apart from leveling, I have to reduce their damage as much as possible.
    I now save my fear when there are 2 or more archers, and I replaced conflagrate with the pbaoe knock back talent, and i'm pretty satisfied. I just about never take any damage at all to 75 (not counting initial archers hit).
    It's more micro intensive, but mage blinking into group of archers and aoeing helps reduce their damage considerably.
    I'm also considering switching bard dmg song to -15%damage taken, but well, that would just delay the inevitable ^^

Anyways, keep blizzard and bard buffs on a 100%uptime, focus archers first, kite like crazy, and when you feel like archers start hitting too hard, save all knockbacks/fear for them as much as you can to nullify their damage.

Dual Mage/Witch/Bard with 8*CD reduction trinket owns :p

On a side note, anyone know what the best "powerlevel" zone is ?
    I currently chain the rock boss for around 500xp a pop and he goes down pretty fast, but I'm wondering if someone knows a better zone ?

8. porkchop

porkchop Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    i got all my guys with items that give 10 and 20% more money but it seems im still recieving the same amounts

9. florhackson

florhackson Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Just got a 128 on the final arena, using this setup, also some questions at the end of this post, if anyone would care to help me please :D

Party

Monk - 37 (Zara's Signet, Ninja Glove)
    Wind Walk
    Evasion
    Tiger Claw
    1000 Palms
    Dragon Style
    Counter
    Solar Strikes

Rogue - 30 (Ninja Glove x 2)
    Sneak Attack
    Expose Weakness
    Flurry
    Shadowstep
    Pursuit
    Envenomed Blades
    Aggression

Witch - 38 (Codex of Jabe x 2)
    Drain Life
    Plague
    Piercing Shadow
    Hex
    Terrifying Presence
    Prey on the Weak
    Crushing Despair

Bard - 38 (Codex of Jabe x 2)
    Song of Renewal
    Song of Vigor
    Stoicism
    Song of War
    Healing Chords
    Prestissimo
    Echo of Renewal

First off, the only person I believe that is interchangeable in this party is the Monk, as I was using him as a tank. He was getting the bard's armor, plus wind walk and evasion, so he could grab aggro from everyone and then sit there taking zero damage. I was torn between Sweep the leg and solar strikes, but the 6 seconds crippling effect it gave was just got good enough.

The other 3 party members are essential to how I play. Having the 2 codex on the Bard, plus echo of renewal, gives him 2 team heals on 12 second cooldowns, and a damage increase on a 22 second cooldown, that lasts 15 seconds, meaning only 15 seconds of downtime. Also with the Bard's effect on the monk it cuts the cd times of the monk by 20%. The Bard is a must have.

The witch and the rogue complement each other,(since the rogue can paralyze, and the witch will do even more damage to it.) Also the witch can heal, and has CC. So for how I play, this is key.

How it works

Single target dps, while ccing the others is key. My witch and Rogue ALWAYS attack the same target,(unless it is a red slime targetting one of them.) Since the rogue has shadowstep, and the witch is ranged, this works out amazingly well, and since the rogue complements the witch, they burn down things fast.(specifically archers)

The monk should be rounding up the rest using wind walk, and between the bard's 2 heals, the witch's heal, and the monk's evasion, he should be able to tank it relatively well(until you get into the 80's and it get's a lot harder.)

You should easily be able to get into the 80's with this setup, and 100's if you maximise the use of your cooldowns.

Thoughts on how I could have done better

I am thinking I should make my Monk more defensive, trading spirit trance for 1000 palms, and clarity for dragon style.

Should probably trade Horror for Hex on the witch.

My questions

I know my trinkets for the rogue and monk are wrong, what should I be using?

For the rogue lvl 30 talent, Aggression or lethality?

10. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Crit trinkets probably give the most damage for the rogue in arenas (not boss farm), although I certainly cant prove that its more or less then the eyeballs or books. I could see either books or eyeballs coming out ahead on boss farm, because more expose weakness is more damage for whole party.

Regardless, how much does a little damage bump really matter for arena? I actually usually use paralyzing knife instead of shadowstep, on the theory that more cc is always better. Doesnt seem to be a popular choice, but dont think that one usually dies in arena for lack of more dps? To me, 20% evasion and 20% run speed is just as reasonable as boosting dps (if you go paralyzing knife).

11. florhackson

Nov 18, 2010
    I actually use shadowstep more for mobility, since I need my rogue dishing out his passive paralytics as much as possible, so he has to able to get to anywhere on the map as needed.

12. imac2much

imac2much Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the feedback! I agree, statistically it seems I should "theoretically" get more efficiency from 2xeyeball than 2xjabe. However, I'm not sure it's the most useful for a wizard because none of his skills are ones you would use immediately if the eyeball procs (since effects would overlap). Also, it's not as reliable since it's based on luck. It might be more useful for Witch since you can spam drain life and hex on multiple targets :)

I'm currently using a lvl 31-33 Knight, Barbarian, Wizard, Bard combo and have achieved a high score of 121. I use my Knight to pull aggro from everything except archers then either tank (1-100) or kite (100+). I feel like my overall DPS is greater with Barbarian (Enrage + Death Wish + Flurry + AR + 2 ninja gloves) than Rogue, and this is important when I want to get rid of the healing mage and archers ASAP. Savage pounce works like shadow strike to get from one end of the screen to another quickly, though it's not necessary if AR kicks in. He also has limited CC with pounce + blunt trama, though not nearly as good as Rogue's.

I'm using Wizard for CC (fireball for knockdown, conflagrate to incapacitate an enemy, time stop for any round with 3+ archers). At 100+, 3 archer shots can pretty much kill my Bard or caster if unlucky :( However, I sometimes wish I had Blizzard for the times that I have to kite (2+ ogres or 1+ slimes) since at 100+ even with shield wall + fortress + 2 evade trinkets I can't tank them very well. It doesn't help that the only tier 9 armor I've earned are 4 monk gi's :(

I feel that the Knight, Barbarian and Bard are necessary for my strategy. Would I do better with a Witch for Horror and more healing if I want to tank 100+? Or should I switch around some skills? (blizzard for time stop, thunderbolt for conflagrate)

13. florhackson

Nov 18, 2010
    I am pretty sure this is a yes, but I would like some verification, Does the rogue's 2nd ability, expose weakness, work for casters as well?

14. TheKeywork

TheKeywork Active Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Quick question for Mika or anyone else who has experienced this:

Using my Monk to tank with his Wind Walk ability, often times even if I hit every enemy on the screen, not all of the mobs will attack my Monk.

This is with mobs that should be sticking (Ogres/Orcs/Skeleton swordsmen)

Also note that my Monk is my highest armored character in the lineup.

Is this a bug? Am I missing something?

15. makitango

Feb 6, 2011
    Of course, you should'nt spam cc skills rather than queue them.

You can also use a barbarian for a ranged or a monk for a melee knockdown and a witch to incapacitate an enemy or having horror (procs) for the archers. Monk and witch in one team are already a ton of CC.

Instaheal and instaCC. Archers still don't oneshot and their targets are purely rare, you have to be very unlucky if your healer is killed even when prepared.

16. imac2much

imac2much Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Maybe unlucky but it does happen :p The problem is all my CC is single target (or small AE) since I'm not using Time Stop or Horror anymore. I just got 6 archers spread across the map at lvl 114 or so and almost beat them... then the game crashed. I guess I really am unlucky.

Didn't they fix the crashes? I've crashed twice since the latest update.

Multiple casters + bard may be the best way to go for the long run since you'll have so much CC but it would be so boring :(

17. Abisco

Abisco Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    On the internet.
    Well as far as I know, only 4 AI. characters can be attacking one of your characters, so even if you hit more then 4, any 5th, 6th (and so on) enemies will continue attacking someone else

18. TheKeywork

TheKeywork Active Member

Jul 7, 2010
    I see that makes sense...I wonder why this mechanic was placed in the game.

19. makitango

Feb 6, 2011
    Nope, it doesn't. You can even have 6 orcs spawned and they turn on your monk if you have all of them Wind Walked.

There are exceptions like archers, red bats and slimes which are immune to the tank's aggro-on-hit mechanic. The archers are even immune to the knight's War Cry.

20. cliffeh

cliffeh New Member

Feb 10, 2011
    #120 cliffeh, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
    Great job Mikamobile - as many others have said this type of game is right up my alley. I was getting quite bored of the current gamut of games on the iPad, this game I have put 20 hours into already, playing on my lunchbreaks and weekends :)

Since 1.0.3 I am happy to say I have had 0 crashes - there may be some rare ones out there but it has been a stellar effort from Mika to get those fixes out.

Also Mika I was worried about the bard "nerf" but I can see that the strength of vigor was causing song of renewal to be less used and overpowering his healing ability, I can still run a single bard setup decently well.

Now for the strategy, I haven't been able to run arenas due to crashing till 1.0.3 so I was just farming last boss and levelling my chars.. but I have a few parties I am hoping to try:

Got this one to 86, black knight died @67ish
    Black Knight@33
    Skills: Intimidate, Chivalry, War Cry, Sunder Armor, Fortress
    Trinkets: 2x Phasing Lodestone (40% evasion)

Barb@32
    Skills: Frenzy, Death Wish, Savage Pounce, Precision Strikes, Dismemberment
    Trinkets: 2x Dragon Tooth (30% crit)

Cleric@30
    Skills: Shield, Discipline (haven't tried 1.03 passion yet), guardian angel, empowering words, desperate prayer
    Trinkets: 2x Codex of Jabe (-12s cooldown)

Bard@45
    Skills: Song of Sanctuary, Gusto (on barb), song of war, enduring hope, echo of renewal
    Trinkets: 2x Codex of Jabe (-12s cooldown)

Only had a couple of runs, but I like the amount of "oh crap" buttons this gives me, yet I have still let my BK die due to some poorly timed defensive cooldowns or heals - This could easily hit 100 I think, unless some 2x healer waves start messing me about, the barb does some really impressive damage with gusto and this setup.

I have levelled all other classes to 30+, my 2nd rogue is 30 and I am getting the 2nd wizard up now to try some of the setups posted earlier.

My other setup apart from the 2x rog boss farm setup is bk, barb, bard, witch.

One thing that frustrates me is the tank mechanic - I feel you should not automatically make the monk a sticky target, rather make the mobs follow the ingame description of the highest armor - running a monk as dps with a knight tank shouldn't cause agro problems as it does currently. If this problem was solved I could switch my Monk in for my witch for a high dps arena team (gusto still on barb I think :)

Does anyone currently run monk as DPS along side knight if so what trinkets have you found most effective? I am considering running him in the current form with 1 or 2x life steal trinkets, as they are now 30% each!

BK is a staple in all my parties I feel I really cant live without taunt, unless I resort to massive CC from a caster team.

Once again great job Mikamobile team - can't wait to see more in this game!!