Battleheart strategy, tips, & tricks

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Howlix, Feb 3, 2011.

1. mxu

mxu Member

Apr 4, 2010
    I'm currently thinking of maybe... 1 bard, with 2 wizards and 1 witch. That might work... hmmm. The witch would keep using fear while the 2 wizards just teleport all the time so they don't get hurt. The bards just there to buff all their attacks and heal the wizards when ranged comes in. Micro intensive but meh.

2. Dinosaur

Dinosaur New Member

Mar 6, 2011
    As long as you have a healer, virtually any party is viable. However, certain groups will be more difficult. A group without a tank will have a problem with aggro going to the monk. If you have the witch at a higher level with x2 defense trinkets, you might be able to keep aggro.

I've played most of the combinations (every character is at least 30, including duplicates, and I have a level 60 bard). Obviously, the high level of my characters makes it difficult to say what is the best at reasonable levels.

I'm finding melee seems to do much more damage. The party benefits of the witch seem to make her better than the mages, in my view. I'm also finding that melee is dominated by knights, though I find the barbarian useful for quickly destroying single targets. In arena, knights become even more useful with 100% reflection of damage helping against slimes.

3. bl0ken

bl0ken New Member

Mar 5, 2011
    #303 bl0ken, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
    Knight in arena simply owns, can't really say enough about the knights. Monk comes in useful for knocking down bats on your healer and sometimes tanking a mob or 2 with his dodge ability. He also does very decent damage. I'm also finding in arena barbarian is one of the better dps classes, and combined with a knight, both AOE's take down mobs really fast. I don't really see how a rogue is viable level 3 arena, but rogue does own on single targets, like bosses.

For exp farming i usually kill the stone giant boss or the last boss over and over. It's really quick and with 2 x egg it doesn't take that long. I will say though once you get a decent party you can kill the last boss very easily without him spawning any skeletons. This is great for a chance as semi ok weapons or sell them for gold. Otherwise just tank the stone giant boss through his enrage and collect exp.

P.s. @mxu micro intensive is fun, at least until new levels / battle heart 2 comes out ??!?

4. Darquel

Darquel Member

Mar 4, 2011
    I've been using a rogue in arena, it's DPS/defender (it can teleport to aid the wiz/bard with shadowstep), that can take a few hits before going down.
    I find when you get overwhelmed by the mobs the barbarian seems to go down very quickly

@exp farming
    I get up to 673 exp on a char with 2 lucky eggs on frozen abyss (average without eggs is 400-500), doesn't take more than 2 minutes to do with low risk of death (most dangerous at swarm of bats)

5. mxu

mxu Member

Apr 4, 2010
    #305 mxu, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
    Okay I so I found out that there are.....
    495 party combinations for battleheart, including all the duplicates.
    I have the combination list on notepad.... if anyone is as nerdy as me and wants a peak... ^.^ pm

EDIT: I posted the party combination list on the battleheart wiki if anyone wants to see it. Working with that wiki editor is pretty annoying though >.>

6. Foggen

Foggen New Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Two Healer Plan

I've been playing for about 7:30 and just recently beat the final boss. I don't know if I'll be driven to farm loot at this point (more likely to level alts), but I'm curious to know what people think about the strategy I've used.

Characters:
    Knight - lv 22
    Cleric - lv 23
    Barb - lv 23
    Bard - lv 22 (leveled from 21 on final boss)

The Knight is spec'd for survivability and aggro, so I use cleave, chivalry, war cry, and crippling blows. I use him to get the aggro of all monsters at all times by attacking them, Cleaving groups, or war crying (for red bats and slimes). Trinkets go towards healing boost and armor/deflection.

The Cleric is spec'd to specifically heal the Knight at all times, so I use Shield, Discipline, Guardian Angel, and Holy Embrace. Auto-heal is almost always on the Knight (except for emergencies), and all healing except group heal is directed to a single target. Shields are used in conjunction with the Knight's Shield Wall to keep him as invulnerable as possible. Trinkets boost magic and loot.

The Barb is spec'd for pure single-target damage output, so I use Frenzy, Death Wish, Reckless Blow, and Precision Strikes. Trinkets go to attack speed and life drain. The Barb targets the most dangerous enemy attacking the Knight, and then activates all 3 active skills at once. Thus an Enraged Reckless Blow opens a Frenzy that can kill any but a boss monster in seconds.

The Bard is spec'd to support the Barb, so I use Song of Vigor, Gusto, Song of Inspiration, and Healing Chords. Trinkets go to reduced cooldown and XP+. The Bard's main function is to boost the Barb's attack power and heal the damage he does to himself with Reckless Blow. Song of Vigor (along with Cleric's Group Heal) keeps the party's health up, and Song of Inspiration lets me give an emergency boost to the Barb's damage output, the Cleric's healing, or the Knight's ability to use War Cry for aggro.

The general strategy is pretty a pretty straightforward tank-DPS-support affair. I focus damage on uncontrollable attackers (archers), high-damage enemies (slimes), and healers. Things can get dicey when I aggro a screen full of red slimes and red bats, but I can usually micro the knight around the screen while the barb slaughters the worst of them. I find that in most cases a well-buffed knight can take whatever damage the monsters want to dish out, and that a buffed barb can kill anything very fast. I tried using a wizard for a little bit, but got annoyed at how little he was doing when I didn't micromanage his attacks. I find that using half of my party to buff the other half makes the fighters powerful and durable enough that they can win pretty much any battle of attrition against attacking monsters. As a result I can wait out most of my power cooldowns and am almost always fresh at the beginning of a new wave.

Any thoughts? Sorry if I bored you, but this game captures my tactical imagination. I can't really judge how banal this approach is...

7. bl0ken

bl0ken New Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Your strategy is fine, but it will take you longer complete levels/kill all mobs/bosses than other party's because you're using two healers.

If you want to try out more dps first i would try speccing your knight a little differently, to take advantage of his reflecting shield and the skill which decreases Armor of mobs he's attacking. You could also try adding another melee class, rogue has good survivability. Maybe try Witch? i seem to think she complements parties a lot better than the other casters.

Once you're around level 21 the knight doesn't really need to be heavily specced in damage reduction. Also if you're running two healers i'd probably be more inclined to spec the knight for pure damage, specially if he has a dedicated healer. You can use his war cry to bring all the mobs to one spot then use cleave and the barbarians savage pounce to quickly kills mobs.

Most parties can work as long as they have 1 healer, they just become more micro intensive. basically personal preference :D

8. hotspringfan

hotspringfan Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    I always take a healer along the way, it's ok passing several battles. But the melee gets out of control after the big pig comes and it's really a strain to beat it down. My characters all are level 4/5. Should I go back to previous battle to level up my characters??

9. rogerberg5

rogerberg5 New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Great game, but...

Amazing game, but one thing I really don't care for is the chance that you get "stuck" in the arenas. At the moment, I'm sitting on 114 kills in the Doom arena with a bard and knight facing off against two healers. No matter what I do, I cannot kill them (they heal too fast), nor can I be killed (they issue no damage). Given this, I'm effectively in a state of limbo whereby I can only retreat or let the game run for all eternity. So... no T9 prize for me... not so satisfying...

10. mikkel1977

mikkel1977 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Deserted Temple
    You can STOP using your healers or let them DIE. Then u will get your weapon (after 70+ in Doomsvale)... :D

11. adorinellen

adorinellen Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Los Blancos
    who says the Bard is awesome?! The last fight, I picked him and reserved Cleric owing to someone said Bard is magic healing the members in a short time. But it's turn out to be a jerk that his healing is not working!

12. rogerberg5

rogerberg5 New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, the healers I mentioned were enemy healers (i.e., those floating skeletons wearing tarps). I had a bard and knight left. Because the healers don't inflict damage, they couldn't kill either of my characters. At the same time, my knight was unable to inflict damage quickly enough to kill either healer, so I was effectively at a stalemate.

13. Nefretta

Nefretta Active Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Right behind you...
    Yeah go to the previous levels to get EXP and do the special moves as soon as they pop up and run away from the bombs he throws.

14. Nefretta

Nefretta Active Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Right behind you...
    I don't use the bard a lot so I'm not sure about this but I think he doesn't heal automatically, he has to use his special moves to heal. When you level him up he will have more sick moves and you can abuse them by using special combinations of trinkets. I use the cleric because she is hands free.

15. hotspringfan

Mar 5, 2011
    Anyone encounter that the "keep" button is not sensitive to react? Sometimes after tapping "keep" icon it looks like freezed and no reaction.
    My devices' case or game itself?

16. hotspringfan

Mar 5, 2011
    My party members have been lifted up tp level7/8, but not sure if it's enough. I tried and failed in the Squealing Bog with the combination of lvl 8 Cleric, lvl 8 Knight, lvl 7 Wizard and lvl 5 Barbarian. They big goblin (pig) seems hard to invade and every time only a bit blood lose while all my characters died.

17. cdm5456

cdm5456 Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Begin to play this today. Will read these carefully.

18. Nefretta

Nefretta Active Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Right behind you...
    The pig has three moves: bite, throw bombs, and run into you. The pig only bites one person the whole game, which is your highest armor guy. Make your high armor guy run around and not get bitten while your wizard and barb attack the pig. Run away from the bombs and the pig running into you doesn't do much damage.

19. hotspringfan

Mar 5, 2011
    THKS for your gracious tips! Now I got some ideas, take along the Cleric keep healing highest armor Knight to get bitten. And other two lower level guys to damage the pig! A little bit clumsy as it feels like, hope it can be useful to win the battle.

20. sixthturn

sixthturn Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Keep your squishy classes together. I haven't run into many mobs with AOE abilities that can take multiple characters out quickly at the same time. If mobs jump on the screen and start attacking your squishies and you have them on different sides of the screen you are going to have to send your DPS and/or Tank to opposite sides of the screen as well. This takes more time.