Universal BattleHeart 2 (by Mika Mobile)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by solarnya, Jul 11, 2018.

1. MikaMobile

MikaMobile Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    We got a couple other reports about this and were able to isolate the issue. Specifically, it has to do with Cyrus and his silly skeletons. A fix is already submitted, which should hit in 24 hours or so. Until then, don't use Cyrus in multiplayer.

2. MikaMobile

Feb 14, 2009
    It adjusts enemy health and damage. Higher difficulties radically increase enemy health in particular, as we found that highly optimized parties can do insane burst damage.

3. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Hello, @MikaMobile. :) If you can afford it, Please consider testing the Android emulator(like BlueStack etc...) when Battle Heart 2 is released on Android(Google Play). It would be even better if users enjoy it on PC. Some App Store users, including myself, will happily buy it twice on Google Play & AppStore. ;)

L.Lawliet likes this.
  4. ixloc

ixloc New Member

Sep 28, 2012
    So after I hit the multiplayerbutton what do I type to play a game with someone else? I'm the only one i know that plays right now. Is there a list of games to join or something like that?

5. MikaMobile

Feb 14, 2009
    Anyone who enters the same room name will connect to each other (up to 4). Currently there's no random matchmaking or server list in game - we expected people would mostly be playing with friends and sharing their room name via iMessage, discord, or however you keep in touch.

Automatic matchmaking is something on the "to do" list down the line. We don't want people to just get tossed together randomly, as a level 20 carrying around a level 3 isn't much fun for either party, so some kind of intelligent filtering would need to be put together. It's something I'd put some though into, but hadn't yet implemented since I wasn't sure if there would even be demand for it.

ixloc likes this.
  6. MikaMobile

Feb 14, 2009
    An actual PC release via steam is also something we're considering. We've already built some controls for it actually (left mouse selects, right mouse issues commands on selected hero so you don't have to drag, QWE keys for activating skills, 1,2,3,4 keys for selecting heroes)

illwill, ixloc and nyanpass like this.
  7. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Holy, Awesome! Thanks! ;)

8. ixloc

ixloc New Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Good to know it's on the list! Is there an official multiplayer discord setup now?

9. deresi

deresi Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2018
    I am really enjoying this game!
    Good job, Mika Guys!!!

Hey, @MikaMobile

Additional suggestions. When playing multiplayer, it would be nice if the suddenly out players automatically switch to AI. When one player is out, the whole game ends in the middle.

nyanpass likes this.
  10. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    The necromancer definitely seems like a standout so far. The ice mage, default tank and default cleric (is that still Reynaud and Clara or something like that?) seem very adequate for their roles, but I definitely want to try some replacements.

11. Roger the Alien

Roger the Alien Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    I think programming an AI would be some work and maybe the effort should be done at other places (expansion content and so on).
    Maybe it would be better that if a player leaves, a menu appears and the other players are allowed to assign the remaining hero/heroes.

nyanpass, ixloc and deresi like this.
  12. deresi

deresi Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2018
    @MikaMobile Oh, that's a good idea. I just want to avoid the whole game out in the middle.

13. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    Is there a cap on the number of passives you can unlock?

Would be sad if there wasn't build customization and you just grinded to eventually get all of the passives.

14. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #94 Nullzone, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Running with Cedric (Knight), Rynn (Darknight), Samuel (Warpriest) as my staples for now.
    Experimenting with the 4th slot: Cleric for extra healing, e.g. against the first boss. Samurai (cause I like her), Barbarian, or Rogue so far for more damage.
    Not very far in - just beat the first boss - but having tons of fun. And seeing a metric f-ton of stuff to try, party combos you can use, even approaches how you start building up: e.g. you can go for XP rewards to level up faster, Gold to get new and better stuff, or Crystals to upgrade your existing gear.

@MikaMobile: My almost 7-year-old son immediately liked it too ("Hey, that's a cool-looking game, dad!').
    And I have a request from him: He wants to play with the monsters as his party ;) I heartily second that. Would be great to get a second set of heroes as DLC that consists wholly of monsters: Cyclops as tank, Shaman as healer, etc.

My own feedback after 2 hours or so:
    1) Absolutely seconding the - ideally optional - hero portraits, and for same reasons someone else mentioned earlier.
    2) If you think #1 clutters up the UI too much: One button that cycles through the heroes.

3) *Much* larger auto-target range, ideally the whole screen. Yeah, I am lazy ;) This would make casual playing (e.g. when tired after a long workday) so much easier. If the hero doesn't have a target, have him attack the closest one - even if it's at the other end of the screen. Ideally you'd make this optional, so people who like the classic style can play their way too.

4) Being able to re-position the skill button bar:
    On the big iPad Pro the top-left corner means I need to reach very far. Even with my large hands it's almost impossible to get up there while holding the Pro with both hands - e.g. when on the train to work. There, I'd like to have skillbars both on the left and right side of the screen, positioned somewhere in the vertical middle. But like now, when I play with the keyboard attached, I'd prefer to have skillbars in the bottom left and right corners. Yes, two of them so I can use both hands.

5) Speaking of keyboards... Can you make the heroes selectable by the numbers 1-4? And skills triggered by the letters Q,W,E (or whatever else is convenient). For use with both hands, I'd love to have 1-4 and "9 0 - +" for hero selection, and "Q W E" & "P [ ]" or "I O P" for skill triggers.
    Super luxury would be if I can configure the triggers myself.

stubbieoz, dukat111 and nyanpass like this.
  15. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    I'm having a blast with the Pyromancer, Shadow Knight, Cleric and Bard. I never played with the Wizard or Bard in BH 1, but getting strong spells quickly with the Wizard and Inspire quickly with the Bard really incentivize them. The Shadow Knight is a really cool tank/debuff/life leech hybrid, and also has the Battlemage's Ghost Hand from Legacy, which is amazing for pulling spellcasters or other high value targets from the other side of the screen.

Definitely my favorite character so far! Once I have these four pretty strong, I'm planning to swap out the Cleric for either the Samurai or a second DPS and see how far I can go without two healers.

What about the Necromancer makes him so much fun? I'm interested.

16. ixloc

ixloc New Member

Sep 28, 2012
    I'm really enjoying the samurai, Cleric, Rogue, Bloodweaver combo thus far! I have my blood weaver With Soul crush and wicked bargain and I'm working on leveling up her Drain life abilities as well. I just keep the cleric healer her and she spams Soul crush and just keeps getting her health back. it's a great combo! Then i use the rouge and samurai to occupy any extra mobs. very fun game!

17. Ryzaerian

Ryzaerian Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Decent game, but the control scheme needs a lot of work. Point and drag is extremely tedious and counterproductive in a game of this nature.

Precise movement is challenging. Characters move instead of attacking. Characters and enemies overlap, making it extremely difficult to select the one you want.

Overall, game has a lot of potential, but the controls are very much subpar. I just don’t think dragging for everything is conducive to a game of this nature. Consider a more fluid method.

18. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #98 ArtNJ, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    The skeletons stats are tied to the nec's stats in some unspecified fashion -- you can have 3 skeletons afaik. So you give the Nec a +200 health crown (a green +1 item available early) and the 3 skeletons are sturdy. I just cleared the second boss and have't needed to pick the +75% skeleton health trait -- its a choice if the skeletons start to get weaker later. You pick +25% damage for skeletons skill, and they collectively do maybe more damage than a character's auto attack. I think they also benefit from vampire if you give that to the nec. Meanwhile the nec has medium grade armor, perfectly fine melee damage, a single target damage spell (not too exciting) and the ability to blow up the skeletons for significant damage. Blowing up the skeletons gets viable once you pick up some additional skills that let you re-summon your 3 faster -- its situational, but can be good when getting swarmed and the skels are in the right spots. Basically, you get 3 off tanks -- 4 if you count the nec -- and don't seem to sacrifice much damage from other options, and as a bonus you have the option to blow up the skels. So at least so far, seems like he is a standout for the off tank role, and might be good in tankless builds as well. Long term it depends on how exactly the skels scale with the necs stats.

Not suggesting he is OP, just a bit of a standout, very well suited to provide off tanking or support a tankless build. Many of the others seem to fill their roles strongly as well, so calling him a standout is a bit of a judgment call, but he doesn't seem to have a real weakness.

houseofg likes this.
  19. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    @MikaMobile

Great game! I have a request that I've seen in other similar games that imitated your style. Is it possible to add character portraits on the top left or right of the screen during battle, then tapping each one will auto-select them and also show their skill menu. This won't hinder the current interface or battle screen at all.

I believe this would be a huge plus for the game. My only problem so far is that battles get very messy with multiple enemies or if my units are all huddled in one spot (necromancer skulls also add to this). The best way to fix this problem would be to add a persistent party menu on the top that lets you manually select for easy character picking and allowing for quick skill usage. If all my units are stacked on top of each other and I want to use one skill, it's usually incredibly difficult because I'll keep tapping through multiple characters I didn't mean to tap.

20. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Thanks for taking the time to write up that much detail! Much appreciated. He definitely seems like a versatile character, and I do really like characters that fill multiple functions-- frees up slots for optimizing/win-more party members.

I think what I'll wind up doing is just swapping out all four of my current party for four completely new characters at a certain point. That'll force me to branch out, and I'll have to get creative without a dedicated healer (Cleric) or AOE healer/buffer (Bard). Not having Inspire to lean on will be tough, but hey. Such is the cost of progress.