Universal BattleHeart 2 (by Mika Mobile)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by solarnya, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Roger the Alien : Base Critchance is 0, afaik. Even +5% Critchance (lowest I've seen so far) show up on the charsheet.
    So, without anything that boosts your Critchance, +Critpower is wasted.

2. DavidDarko

DavidDarko Active Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Male
    @MikaMobile Just a thought, but i think it would be pretty cool if you were to make a stage with a training dummy so people can test out characters with different items and what not!

M4dmartigan likes this.
  3. Roger the Alien

Roger the Alien Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    At some point experience points are useless to boost your party level (level 30).
    At some point gold is useless, if you have all legendary items and if you bought all other items you need.
    At some point books are useless, if you have all legendary items and all skills for each hero.
    Crystals can be used to boost items without a cap. Why isn‘t the limit +10 for example? If you cap deflection, the crown item can be still boosted to grant an infinite amount of health.

M4dmartigan likes this.
  4. M4dmartigan

M4dmartigan Member

Jul 16, 2018
    Male
    Also, normalizing resource gain and having an exchange vendor so you can turn gold into crystals or tomes would be a nice quality of life addition. If there is going to be a cap to upgrades, then resources should be way rarer than they are. I'd say cap upgrades at +50 and scale the monsters up to be a bit harder at the hardest end. Make resources rarer, and that massively adds to the end game grind.

Edit: also an idea I had: every 25 waves in arena could be a boss wave. That'd help mix it up.

DavidDarko likes this.
  5. Szei

Szei Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Pianist
    #285 Szei, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    I just beat the game and it was a lot of fun. But I was wondering how Skill Haste is supposed to scale. My strat was to try to get Bard to have super low cooldown so I could spam Inspire. However, that didn't really end up working so I ultimately went with something else. Seems like I should have gone for Rewind instead. My Bard had 78% Skill Haste but Inspire only went from 60 seconds to 33 seconds. Power Chord went from 30 seconds to 16 seconds. So it seems like 78% Skill Haste decreased the CD by roughly 45-50% (somewhat mediocre considering how much you invest in it) but what is the actual formula?

This brings me to my main problem with this game which is that the way stats work isn't well explained. I think BattleHeart 2 would really benefit from an in-game manual with a more in-depth explanation of how the stats interact and the formulas used. Please don't misunderstand me though, I had a lot of fun and this game was well worth it. It was just a little disappointing investing so much into my strategy only to find out the formulas didn't work at all the way I expected.

@MikaMobile Also, there seems to be a bug. When I got the Bard passive which decreases Inspire cooldown by 10 seconds, the cooldown actually went UP from 33 seconds to 38 seconds.

M4dmartigan likes this.
  6. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would also cap all upgrades...maybe +12 or so, with the later ones costing more than 50 crystals. Even with the planned changes there are many exploits left. If you hope to eventually add pvp of some kind, upgrades need to be capped. And its better for pve as well. With a cap, its possible to add achievements with special gear or additional upgrade points.

7. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #287 Nullzone, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    I like @M4dmartigan's idea of bosses in the Arena. And the exchange vendor, that's just brilliant - yet so obvious now that it's out, but someone had to think about it first. Well done ;)

But I absolutely disagree on making resources even rarer. What does that accomplish?

Post-game, or "going crazy in the Arena".
    It'll make the grind longer, more tedious, and more annoying. Plus, even with caps on everything, you'll still have a tiny percentage of folks who can push things to the absolute limit. Seen with BH1 and BHL; and already repeating here, what with the poster who got that level 100+ Necro stuff, for example.
    So, you'll slightly limit a handful of exceptional players in their accomplishments. While, at the same time, make that part of the game a lot harder and more drawn out for everyone else.
    Admittedly, this part is entirely optional, so I'd worry the least about it. Let folks go all nuts and have +100 enchantments if they want to. Because why not?

Endgame, as in "Final Boss, and the way there".
    That one's pretty ok in my opinion, and about the only part of the game where the resource balance feels about right.
    Yes, you still need to grind - and quite some time - to get top-tier gear for everyone. And grind *a lot* to get top-tier at +10 for 4 folks.
    But, you don't need to go that far to beat the final boss. Worked for me with mostly +5 Trinkets, and - I think - tier-5 to tier-7 weapons and armour with 2 Legendaries mixed in, and all of them being +2 at most.

Sidenote: I'd cap at +10 for regular gameplay, and make it a bit easier to reach that. At a certain point, you get the option to "remove all limits" and unlock the crazy stuff people are doing now. Maybe with the added requirement that you need to increase the difficulty at least one notch up from normal.
    Milestones for this that I can think of immediately: Beat all post-game bosses, and/or beat a specific stage in the Arena (one that is reachable with +9/+10 top-tier equipment, but not easily. Don't know which one that'd be, so let's just say 50 for now).

Midgame:
    I'll define that as from beating the Ratomancer to beating the Lady of the Deep.
    Ratomancer still needs some grind, but it's pretty ok. Power curve doesn't suddenly jump up a huge bit.
    Now, the Frost Knight is where the gloves come off for the first time. To beat him, you do need to grind quite a lot, unless you are really really good at the game - which most players simply aren't. Sure, you can always lower the difficulty. But "normal" is understood by most people to be just that: What a normal player can win over the normal course of the game.
    Resource balance here is not good in my opinion. You suddenly go from "some grind" to "massive grind, twice". And this really takes the momentum and "flow" out of the game. Someone just steps on the brakes for you, and doesn't take his foot off for a very long time.

Early game:
    The worst resource balance in my book. This is where players get hooked, want to try out all the fancy stuff they see, etc. In short, most folks want to see *progress* during that part of the game.
    Currently, you are really pressed to even afford a single piece of equipment during the early parts. And equipment isn't rare enough that getting a single +1 Sword feels like a huge accomplishment. Instead, the game throws tons of cool-looking and interesting-sounding stuff at you. And you only can afford a few meager scraps. Basically, you dangle a huge bunch of deliciously-looking carrots in front of the player (Oh, just LOOK at all those cool skills!) and then immediately take them away by putting them behind a massive grindwall.
    However, I also feel obliged to point out that the progress itself up to the Ratomancer is pretty well balanced. You don't need the higher-tier stuff that the Shop shows you already. Took me 3 hours with my speedrun melee-party, and they are only sporting tier-1 equipment mostly still, with 2 or 3 tier-3 pieces thrown in. Which is very much okay in my book.

Yesyes, I get that grinding is kinda the essence of Battleheart. But leave that for the nutca... hardcore players, I mean ;) Those can always crank up the difficulty for more of a challenge, that's what the nifty slider is for, after all.

For early game, I'd seriously increase the resources you give players.
    Shouldn't matter if you go for Gold, Crystals, Items or XP as stage rewards, or for a mix as I expect most people to do.
    I think that, for example, the equivalent of 5 party levels should give you the means of getting the next tier of equipment for everyone. Some grinding, and you can add +1 enchantments on everything. This part actually works pretty well up to tier-2 or tier-3: Crystal costs early on are only 2 for a +1, and the Crystal rewards grow very well in line with the increase in cost for higher tiers. Getting more than +1 enchantments gets prohibitively expensive quite fast, unfortunately.
    Similarly, I'd make sure that the first few party levels at least each give you the means to get one new skill for everyone, from the levelup rewards alone. Maybe up to level 5, and then slow things down gradually: e.g. going from 5 to 10 only gives you 3 new skills, 10-15 2, and 15-20 only one.

Also, almost forgot:
    I'd also limit the shop selection in the early stages. No need to show the players expensive tier-2 and tier-3 equipment that they cannot afford and don't need yet.
    Up to Cyclops King tier-1 stuff only, beating him unlocks tier-2 equipment in the store. Ratomancer unlocks tier-3, Frostknight tier-4, etc.

Ultimately, my argument is that there should be way less of a grindwall for normal players on normal difficulty, to make the game more accessible for them.
    However, if your goal is/was to make a more hardcore game, fine with me too, of course. You're the dev, it's your baby after all.

M4dmartigan likes this.
  8. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I would rather not have a cap. Infinite scaling gives players something to do once they've cleared the game and farmed all of the gear they want to obtain.

9. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Samurai is kind of a junk tank for single player isn't he? Maybe good if your doing multiplayer and have high rewind or skill haste to keep counter going, but just too dang fiddly for single player. You have better things to focus on then using his actives just so. I guess the lack of metal armor is nothing in the endgame, but it sure hurts if your trying to use him to win the main game.

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @MikaMobile : Could you publish a list/table of what each levelup up to 30 gives you as rewards, and what the XP requirements for each level are? Would save us from collecting those numbers the hard way :)

11. M4dmartigan

M4dmartigan Member

Jul 16, 2018
    Male
    @Nullzone you make fair and reasonable points. But the end game resources need to be nerfed hardcore. I feel like endgame should be made grindier for the grinders. Early game felt pretty ok to me, but then again I am one of the crazy people.

12. Szei

Szei Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Pianist
    I was thinking about the way you acquire Legendary items and I was wondering if it would be better to have them be rewards for beating bosses, getting to certain Arena stages, or other accomplishments instead of just buying them (i.e. make it more like the first BattleHeart). Since you just buy them, I found myself just using mostly +Wealth items and grinding enough money for legendaries.

The way you get Legendary items at the moment discourages players from using resources to explore the passive skills and from buying and upgrading normal items. By the time I beat the game I realized that I had hardly used any non-legendary items. I only bought around 5 weapons/armors (all before the second boss) and exactly 8 secondary items (2 Skill Haste items and 6 +Wealth items) in the entire game.

It's really a shame because I remember how cool it was gradually working up through the normal items in the first BattleHeart. In BattleHeart 2, I never used them because I just skipped straight from low level items to the Legendary items. It also made Legendary items feel less special in this game compared with the first one.

I've already beaten the game so I suppose it does not matter much to me at this point, but I feel that the item progression isn't as satisfying this time around. Not to mention it's kind of a shame missing out on all the weapon artwork for the mid-late game normal weapons.

Nullzone, M4dmartigan and shfrost like this.
  13. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    The Necromancer is hilarious. I’ve gotten so used to intense skill micromanaging, but with his skeletons and the right items, you can just sit back and watch enemies get hacked apart. It’s great.

Do those of you who use him a lot tend to focus on items that boost crit and damage, or health and defense, in terms of which aspects of the skeletons you find most useful to augment?

Thanks!

14. mistermonky

mistermonky Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Just bought a legendary and I got something called "Aegis" which gives 15% deflection and 50 power. It doesn't look like I can equip it on any of my characters though. Does anyone know who this item is supposed to be for? Maybe I haven't gotten far enough and something unlocks eventually?

15. wolpak

wolpak Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2011
    How does changing difficulty change the game?

16. Roger the Alien

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
  17. Roger the Alien

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    It seems if you have 100% skill haste, your skill cooldwons will be halved.

18. M4dmartigan

M4dmartigan Member

Jul 16, 2018
    Male
    #298 M4dmartigan, Jul 17, 2018
    Big ups to @MikaMobile for taking this feedback to [battle] heart. This latest patch is definitely a step in the right direction. <3

P.S. started playing MPlayer local co-op with my brother with difficulty maxed. We've been experimenting with less traditional builds. Currently running War Priest for tank and heals, Bloodweaver for single target and those juicy off heals, Frost Mage for Aoe and CC, and rogue/barb. I'm actually considering running a second Bloodweaver, because you can class stack in Mplayer. Not gonna lie, I feel like War Priest is a god because he is a true hybrid and he grabs aggro so easily I can just kite stuff around while the mages nuke it down.
    Theory crafting here, but in arena without broken levels of items, I think that if you ran 2 frost mages with stacked spell haste, 1 Bloodweaver, and 1 Cleric it could actually be sleeper op. The cleric for the party invuln. Mainly because frost mage has the single greatest cc ability in the game. And at a high enough level of arena your guys will get 1 shot by a bunch of different stuff anyway so there's not much point in having a tank.

Good times!

19. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #299 Nullzone, Jul 17, 2018
    @MikaMobile : Could you add more savegames directly in the game? I'm already running out and would like more games to experiment on.
    Yes, iCloud is an option and works great (just tested). But swapping files back and forth is a lot more tedious than having more available directly. Plus, I don't know what happens if I e.g.
    1) Upload game in Slot #1 to iCloud
    2) Delete it
    3) Start a new game in Slot #1
    4) Upload that new game to iCloud

Will step #4 overwrite the earlier game from step #1?
    If not, what happens when I download into slot 1, do I get to choose which one I want?

If you make the game selection buttons a bit smaller, there's room for 9 on the big iPad Pro screen. And yes, I can easily see this will be more clunky on an iPhone. But it's not an interface you need all the time, so having to tap a slightly smaller button when you load a game should be ok even on the smaller screens.
    In addition, on smaller screens it can be a scrollable list. Actually, I'd love to simply have unlimited savegames, nevermind scrolling around some :)

20. Mattosai

Mattosai Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I still don’t understand how multiplayer works in this game (after reading the other topic), tried us west coast, with toucharacde/toucharcade, empty rooms.
    i know players must probably communicate the same room name at the same time probably but i tough there was enough ppl to have regular peeps.
    Well, being in EU, timezone won’t help....
    Guess i’ll try to look around me ~~ or other forums maybe ~~
    @MikaMobile an interface with open rooms is maybe a possibility ? the usual create or join options ?