Universal BattleHand (By Kongregate)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Impressively, fixed.

I was expecting this to disappear into the mists of support - but got a response back within a couple of days and, following a series of email exchanges, support (Robert, to be specific) accessed my account and replaced the battle card.

Genuinely impressed - the error had, tbh, somewhat reduced my enthusiasm for the game.

2. midasmulligan

midasmulligan Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2015
    Anyone still investing time into this? How's it holding up?

3. Red Reddington

Red Reddington Active Member

May 26, 2015
    It's holding up fairly well. Decent little turn-based fantasy RPG with lots of polish.

THE GOOD
    -As I mentioned, lots of polish in the art, UI and overall game experience.
    -Tons of content. There are several levels that contain 10 dungeons each, and you can repeat "elite" versions of each dungeon for harder battles and bigger rewards. And that's just the Campaign mode. There's also the Gauntlet, where you face increasingly tougher foes in each round. There's the Arena, which is pseudo-PVP (meaning it's not realtime). And it looks like Guilds and Challenge Mode are on the way.
    -I really like the characters. There are 10 characters you can acquire. Each specializes in one of five elements, which gives it an advantage over another element. The most interesting bit to me is character traits, passive and active abilities. They have an interesting variety of powers which can synergize well depending on which two characters you send into a match.
    -Fairly generous resources (at least at first). Early on, the game is throwing gold, gems and booster cards at you at every turn, from beating dungeons, finishing quests, earning achievements, etc. Granted, you do have to save up quite a few gems (premium currency) to purchase a gold card pack (my recommendation, since the cards in gold packs are SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful). But if you're happy with lower card packs, you'll be earning them quite frequently.

THE BAD
    -Energy! In this case, keys. At first, it's pretty easy to play a lot, because dungeons only cost 3 keys. But before too long, they cost 9 or more per dungeon, and you run out pretty fast. Of course, you can buy more with premium gems, or wait for them to recharge. Luckily, this is a game I play only in stray moments, so energy never became a major problem for me.
    -THE (EVENTUAL) GRIND. Later in the game, resources keep flowing, but prices increase faster. I've still been earning lots of gold, gems and booster cards, but gold prices for upgrades are definitely outpacing my income. And if you want to evolve your cards to become more powerful, that can cost a lot of alchemical components (random items you earn from dungeons), which you'll have to grind for as well. You will also have to grind just to level up your characters, or they won't survive later dungeons. The game does have auto play and raid tickets to help speed up the process, but believe me, if you want to get past the third or fourth set of dungeons, you will absolutely have to either buy IAP or grind your everloving heart out.

Overall, if you're looking for a new card-based RPG to play, I'd suggest giving it a try. I'm still getting a reasonable amount of enjoyment out of the game, even though I think I may be reaching my limit as far as the grind is concerned.

4. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    Need to try this.