iPhone Battle Worlds: Kronos (by KING Art GmbH)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Dittsche, Nov 6, 2014.

1. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Allright, I bought it.

First impressions:
    1) The graphics are ok, lower than expected but they have been lowered due to performance issues. Maybe there are very big stages and many vehicles later on and maybe the memory will get down. The problem is that these graphics reminds me iphone graphics and not so tablet-ish. But on the other hand, there is not an iphone version!? I hope it will be eventually an iphone version because some games like this (turn based strategy), CAN be played with scrolling etc. You can take your time to see the terrain and think what to do. On realtime strategy, it's not ok. Also in iphone 6/6+ I believe it will be just fine due to bigger screen. I really would like to be an universal app.

2) The filesize of the uncompressed game is 808mb. Fine by me. Not very big but not very little. XCOM is HUGE!

3) Some graphical problems in the start but the developers could fix this because it's not very nice to start the game and see the main screen, after that to be resized, then another screen with the spacecrafts, after that the screen goes purple and then the screen with the spacecrafts reappears. I strongly believe that this could be issued with an update.

4) The PC full cut-scenes before a mission has been converted to just static pictures but at least there is voice and this is fine by me. I prefer having a smaller game in filesize, than a big-sized game. It's the portable version and not exactly the same.

5) Some animations (not all) have been lost. For example the sea is static. I know there are some games for ipad worst than this but if the sea had only one-two frames for animation, it would be better.

6) It crashed for me. Yep, unfortunately it crushed when I was on the menu (with the ? symbol) where I could see the tutorial / game / credits. Fortunately there was an autosave and I restarted the game and I had just lost only one movement but maybe this could ruin the whole experience if it will not get issued quickly. By the way I have iOS 7.1.2 (ipad 4).

7) Thank God an internet connection is not required and it has not any iap!

8) I noticed that the scrolling inside stages is not very smooth.. Can you please do something for it or it's memory / performace issues?

9) I like the Greek vase when the intro starts.

10) You can play campaign, single-player maps, multi-player.

Overall I like the game. It has depth, more than Advance Wars, the background music I think it's the same like PC (no complaints here) and if the issues can be resolved, it could a very good game.

If I wanted to play the full game, I would played in my PC. It's the same like Anomaly Warzone. The console / PC is the real thing but the portable version is not so inferior.

2. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Graphics won't be as good as the pc version, that's obvious.. All that matters to me is the gameplay ##.. I'm hoping it's easy to find games online

3. DanRiverBrew

DanRiverBrew Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Any chance of this going to iphone especially now that we have big ones?

4. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Not any crashing for me on an ipad air ios 8 And yes it could say that has more depth than Advance Wars

5. Domisan

Domisan Active Member

Aug 27, 2014
    instabuy for me and i am very happy with it! the campaign is great so far and i really like the multiplayer too!

6. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Shame, as I'm certain the ipad air 2 should be able to come fairly close to the pc version. But you can't make a game only for the most recent device unfortunately.

7. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    This looks fantastic, and will definitely buy it. I just wish it had a random map generator as user created content can be a little rough.

8. duncanedi

duncanedi Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Ok! bought it :) your first impressions where good enough for me :) even if I like graphics a little too much.... thanks!

9. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Is the strategy simplistic a la fire emblam or meatier like panzer general?

10. rangent

rangent Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    I'm curious too, anyone have an impressions video they've put together (or want to put together)?

11. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    PC or iPad? That's the question....

12. rangent

rangent Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Seems like it's got a lot more depth than Advance Wars / Fire Emblem. I found this impression video (PC version):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRJG9wNiVMg

13. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Not sure about the PC, but I was going to buy the Mac version but it was $34. I opted for the iOS version which is significantly much cheaper given the current discount.

14. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    It's $20 on Steam (looks like it's PC/Mac/Linux).

15. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Took a look at how the two versions compared in graphics. I don't know if it's the use of colors but the pc version looks alive with the animations, more realistic graphics, etc while the iPad version looks like (looks like, I don't own the game just going off a YouTube video) a fancier flash game. Maybe the video doesn't do it justice but still sad to see it doesn't translate that well to mobile. I'm sure gameplay is the same, but I can't deny that I don't like my eye candy.

16. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    My quote was from the Mac AppStore. Steam is another option for Mac users, though I don't know what the differences in assets or gameplay are...

17. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I've played Battle Worlds: Kronos on PC and while enjoyable it seems ideally suited for touch screen interface because there's a lot of mouse dragging and scrolling on the PC edition where those interactions would seem more seamless on a touch screen.

Battle Worlds: Kronos did get an epic FREE "Trains" DLC (4 new units, new campaign) update on PC a while back which was very much appreciated, the developers seem like quality people willing to support the game. I assume this is part of the mobile launch.

Plus any game that encouraged user generated content and sharing is a win in my book.

18. pseudoart

pseudoart Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Thank you for your first impressions. However, this was the only part that had anything to do with gameplay. Could your share more, please? :)

19. mattaid

mattaid Member

Jul 12, 2013
    I'm kind of new to the genre a matter of fact my first taste of these types of games was XCOM and I loved it so I'm very interested in purchasing this game.. The reviews seem very favorable but I was wondering if somebody can let me know how this compares to XCOM (gameplay, graphics, and etc)???

Thanks!

20. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I have not played Xcom (I really would like to but I will play it when I will get an iphone 6 due to bigger screen) but I will write just a few notes from the game, from my first impressions yesterday (I am at work now).

It's turn-based which means that you play your units turn by turn and then when you are done, CPU enemy plays his turn. You have units with different abilities. You have some units with heavy damage and some other with light damage. So, it depends where you will put your unit next to the enemy unit because you want not to receive many damage because also there is counter damage from the enemy unit as well. The key here is to get the heavy armor units to fire first, get counter as less as possible and then, the other units of light firepower of yours to continue the battle until the enemy is destroyed.

You have also units that you don't need to have a close-combat battle but they can fire missiles of a distance of two hexes, so these are behind the "tanks" and then you have a unit where it can move but it can also stick to the ground and fire missiles for a large distance. You will lose a turn if you want to turn it to turret. In general all the units have two actions - movement and fire. If I am not mistaken you cannot fire twice but you can move and fire, fire and move, etc. It has also some sort of benefit if you have two units of yours together in close combat (from what I understood) against a enemy unit. I don't know yet if it's like in the latest Fire Emblem (3DS) where if you have two heroes, they can combine the attack and do more damage, even kill the enemy from just one turn! I have to play more to find out for Battle Worlds..

Also you have small units like robots where they can move more freely in the terrain (above trees, etc) and they are very very important because if they attack enemy base, you conquer it and it's in your side then! So after this, you can deploy units and I believe create some if you have money. It's like in Advance Wars series games.

You can also have air / sea units and transport some of yours via sea boats, etc and I believe in the end, you will have lots of different kind of units with different pros / cons. You have different damage depending from the terrain as well and also if a unit has been destroyed, you cannot move to that hex because it's "occupied", so you have to find another alternative to move or attack. It's kind of tricky because some units like the heavy damage units can be able to move to these hexes. So you have to rely on these units as well and protect the small units so that you can conquer the buildings of the enemy.

You can also "heal" your units and get ammo too from some hexes! It has larger stages than Advance Wars!

I'm sure it has lots of other things in the later stages.

I'm sorry for my not so good english.. I hope I was helpful.