Universal Battle Supremacy: Evolution (by Atypical Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Frumius

Frumius Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Starship Science Officer
    Beta Antares IV
    --

I think your post puts it in the proper perspective.

Though the game currently lacks some of the basic features of their previous games, I think that most of those will be coming. And though there are some pretty annoying aspects on both Mac and iOS versions of this game currently, I think those, too, will be addressed.

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    #102 Pony, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    Can confirm the iPad Air 2 does suffer with a lot of smoke and fire effects are going on.
    The controls are getting used to, but getting better and better at it.
    Really have to stop playing though. Thought I could live without Y axis inversion when flying, but I've never been so wrong in my life.
    Please make this happen in the next update!

3. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I stopped playing this game because of the controls.

4. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

#104 Baracus, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    Same here for now. Got to about mission 15 and thought I'm not enjoying this as much as enduring it, so I'm gonna wait.

The first few levels in world 2 seem a lot more empty than the whole of world 1 so far. I mean really short missions and just 1 simple objective. World 1 had more steps to each mission. Is that how they got over 100 missions? By splitting up the length into 3 small missions so it's more like 30 missions really.

I will reiterate that I think the theme is really cool. The idea of transforming to 3 totally different purposed vehicles is great.

...but the actual transformation could be better. Currently it doesn't really let you flow from one pose to another and continue moving. Would feel a lot better if you could be driving and in 1 nice fluid movement change and fly away. But it makes you stop and then there's a delay to the controls working again in the new mode so the whole process is kinda jerky.

And why can't you change directly from tank to plane? You have to step through the drone pose which makes this lack of flow even worse. They should have made the animations in a triangle so you can go from any pose to any other pose in a single step.

EDIT: also a bit stuttery frame rate on iPad mini 3rd gen doesn't make fine control adjustment and fast turning any easier with the controls :)

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    I wonder about that as well. There are morph animations for all combinations as seen on the vehicle screen.

6. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Ya, I did as well. Actually only played a handful of missions that I rlly just suffered thru. I rlly want to like this. Conceptually the idea is inivative but lacks fluidity. The aiming and tank driving suffers and no tank to jet change is another sore spot. Also, absolutely can't deal with no inverted y axis. I just can't and almost refuse to retrain myself to fly in such a counter intuitive fashion. Shelved, maybe forever.

7. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    Glad someone is enjoying it, God knows I rlly wanted to.

8. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Likewise. It is a fantastic framework for a game, but until the controls have been improved, the more relevant issues in this thread have been addressed, and some of the missing features and polish of older Atypical Games titles have been added in, it is not a fun, cohesive whole.

9. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Nailed it. As you mentioned the missions are also becoming a weak point. Continuously moving on with no real flow. Shoot down a few weak enemies from some random objective, then do it again 50 more times. Maybe if it was more challenging it wouldn't be so bad. They tried adding diversity to the missions with a few races which end up feeling really tacked on and not fun.

I'm not trying to come down on the game because it's a really cool theme and idea, it just wasn't fleshed out in my opinion. I sincerely hope they can pull the nose up and make it the gem it should be. Really pretty graphics only go so far! #

10. Grimstone82

Grimstone82 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    Finally got around to buying this and man, talk about a great game ruined by horrible controls! When I say horrible I mean HORRIBLE! Three separate vehicle modes, and all three of them control terribly. The tank is the closest one to being passable but I just can't get the hang of controlling the drone or the plane. There really is no excuse for that, there shouldn't be any type of learning curve for a game like this. It's definitely a looker, and the gameplay is rather cool too, but the frustration from the poor controls just kills the excitement.

11. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    Ya, truth be told. Sad stuff indeed.

12. Grimstone82

Grimstone82 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    #112 Grimstone82, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    Bumping because I tried playing it again and was instantly reminded of the disappointment I felt when I first loaded it up. It is obvious the devs spent a great deal of time on this game, I really don't understand why they would have released it with controls this bad. They completely break what would have been a seriously amazing game.

I really do wonder what went through their minds when they declared the game finished- did they really think the controls were good? Or was it that they just couldn't figure out a way to make them any better? Take the drone for instance- I really don't see the point of having both the drone and the plane when you really can't fly the drone like it's an actual drone. You can't fly straight up or down, you can't move forward while keeping the nose angled down to take out lines of enemies. It flies/controls just like then plane with the exception of having the ability to hover. Was this by design or consession?

I really can't express my disappointment enough, because it really has the potential to be one of the coolest iOS releases in recent memory, just destroyed by probably the worst controls in recent memory. I truly feel like I flushed $4 down the toilet.

To the developers- please, please, PLEASE fix these controls and give us the game that we all thought we were getting when we decided to fork over $4 of our hard earned money. In its current state, it's not even worth the band wit required to download, let alone the hefty (for an iOS game) price tag.

13. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I've been reading this thread and completely agree with all of the control comments. Atypical Games other efforts have all been awesome, especially nailing controls so I was shocked with how bad they are here.

And also am sad to see that the dev hasn't come back here in a while to address the concerns.

Really hope they fix this because it has huge potential but is pretty much unplayable at the moment.

14. Frumius

Frumius Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Starship Science Officer
    Beta Antares IV
    #114 Frumius, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    I think we can expect a update to address many things. There are a lot of great aspects to this game.

Also, at least in my case, many things that I thought were not working well -- including controls -- I appreciate more after playing. I would say that controlling on the Mac with keyboard and mouse is easier for me than the iOS controls are. Of course, not being able to invert them would be terrible if I needed that. But I would bet 50,000 quatloos that there'll be an Invert Axis after the update.

I think the update will be soon™.

Meanwhile, let's all just sit tight. I recommend a good book: "Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell. It's the book that those movies about comets hitting us comes from, except 67X better. Dang good read.

15. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    It's funny though that they often"forget"to include it at first.I was waiting for a long time before we got that in Radiation Island.

16. henryfakesmile

henryfakesmile Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    usa
    not to mention the "forgotten " game mode suppose to have like capture the flag in both battle supremacy game
    i couldn't had find the mode in both battle series lol
    also this Battle Supremacy: Evolution multiplayer is so dead i can't even get one full match

17. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    Wish someone from Atypical would drop by to let us know if they plan on updating the controls for this.

18. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Any idea how to change your vehicle when using a MFi controller? I started playing this again this weekend when I got my new AppleTV (and it's awesome on there!) but I'm stuck as the tank.

19. Marcos stein

Marcos stein Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    If they can make this smooth (on ipad air 2) like Radiation Island will be awesome.

20. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    #120 anthony78, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    So, an update finally is here. And....no changes to the controls!!!

Sadly disappointed with this game.

Edit: Wasn't in the change list but they did add the option to invert the Y axis. But they still are pretty bad.