Universal Battle Supremacy: Evolution (by Atypical Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Oct 28, 2015.

1. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  2. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #62 ScotDamn, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    It's mostly that sometimes the right stick (aim/look) doesn't respond at all. It's decently implemented otherwise but the unresponsiveness is unacceptable. It's also strange that moving the right stick is exclusively for aiming and not turning. The left stick is accelerate AND turn which is a real head scratcher. And What's with the lack of invert?

They need to work on the controls for this to be more than average IMO. They have a cool gimmick with the transformers and the shiny graphics are lovely but if it doesn't control well, than what's the point. To be fair, after spending an hour or so you do get "better" at the controls but it's clear they could be a lot better.

3. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    My bad if this has been asked before but how hot does this make your phone? Does it suck battery pretty bad? Those graphics are insane dip I'm expecting that

4. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    You know I was about to post about this, funny you ask. My iPhone 6 gets pretty warm. I remember when Battle Supremacy came out, at first, my phone got boiling hot. This isn't nearly that bad, but it does drain the battery quicker tha some games. Atypical was pretty quick to minimize the issue the first time around so hopefully they work their magic for BS Evo too.

5. dalglir

dalglir Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Scotland
    I may be having a blind moment but: has anyone spotted a free roam mode in this yet?

6. MartianLM

MartianLM Member

Oct 7, 2011
    #66 MartianLM, Oct 29, 2015
    Never played Future Cop but I totally get where you're coming from with G Police, and having played the game I completely agree with the comparison. G Police is one of my all time favourite games. Battle Supremacy seems to be excellent. High quality all round. I've played about 15 missions so far and it's well worth the money. I switched to using a controller (Mad Catz CTRLi) and it made it even better.

A thoroughly recommended game if you like vehicle based shooters.

No IAP to spoil things. However I have also found an occasional issue where the right control stick (look), especially in tank mode, just stops working properly.

Only possible other complaints would be that it's pretty easy in campaign mode, but I've got a long way to go yet, and the lack of any pacing in the game play. It's very arcady so constant action, just shoot everything red, which seems to me like it could be made more tense by making you wonder when the next attack's coming.

FWIW my experience is on an iPad Air 2.

7. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    That is exactly what I meant. You use the right stick to aim and then the ship slowly turns which just sucks and is far from the great direct controls we had in their earlier games.

8. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Was on the verge of purchasing this... but... after reading the entire thread up until now I am really on the fence because of all the control issues.
    Knowing Atypical games, they will listen and they will continue to improve and polish where this is due for (some) time to come.
    Until then, I'll just sit back and put it on my wish list while keeping an eye on this thread. ;)

9. Marcos stein

Marcos stein Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Needs to improve controls and framerate. Laggs a lot on Ipad Air 2.

10. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Wait...what? Are we playing the same game? Only in tank pose is the left stick used for acceleration and turning, and right stick is used for controlling your turret. In drone pose the left is for accelerating and strafing are the right stick is used for turning and aiming. In plane pose left again is for thrusters and right is for turning and aiming.

11. fili_1982

fili_1982 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Programmer
    Romania
    Controls custiomization for gamepads & joysticks coming in next update

12. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Oh jolly good. Including inverted Y axis option for touch?

13. MartianLM

MartianLM Member

Oct 7, 2011
    #73 MartianLM, Oct 29, 2015
    I've changed my rating of this game from 5 to 4 since playing some more. The game is great but with a few flaws that take the shine off (but certainly don't ruin the game). The main flaws I've found are listed here, all from the Campaign as I've not tried multiplayer, and I've hidden a few as there are some spoilers in there.

Right control stick in tanks is a lolfest, either doing nothing, or something that's not what you wanted. Mad Catz CRTLi used.

The AI control is ok for the first map or two but quickly becomes utterly utterly useless at even pointing at the only enemy on the map. I've turned it on at the start of maps and it's sent my vehicle in the opposite direction to the enemy and never turned back. Sometimes in AI driving mode the camera is locked to one view point, other times you can use the right stick to look around.

Vehicle upgrades. The game never tells you to go and do this so you could easily miss the option back on the main menu. Then a number of upgrades... sometimes nothing is available when you click on them despite more dots being available, including the first one which might make you think you can't do anything to any of them. Why can't some be upgraded, it never tells you? Maybe you have to be a higher level? I don't know, there's no explanation. And why could I upgrade one 3 levels and then not to level 4 and 5. But another goes straight to level 5 no problem. I don't get the Transformer upgrade - 'Tank' upgrades armour, but then Battle > Armor upgrades armour. Why split these things that do the same thing, does Transformer do something else as well?

What do star ratings do? I finished last in my first race, got 0 stars, and the next mission then opened. Whut? Stars have no discernable effect on gameplay (other than perhaps replay value), and what you get them for is not explained and seems to be a touch arbitrary.

Most disappointing thing for me so far - Tanks seem pointless in every way. Planes are only useful for getting from A to B, meaning I spend 95% of time in drone pose, which seems a shame. The whole 'transform' thing seems wasted as you don't need to adapt to combat conditions or enemies.

A control in hover mode for rise/sink would be nice, as currently you have to face up and fly forward to go up, instead of just being able to 'float up'. It does automatically rise up when you pitch up far enough, but then you can't target anything. The D-Pad is unused in gameplay *hint hint* :)

In the Settings > Controls is an 'Arcade' toggle. There's no explanation as to what this does (I only just saw it so haven't tried it yet, but it should say next to it Shirley...).

Campaign 3, mission 6. You can get a two star rating by doing literally nothing. Start the map and press nothing for the 5 minutes. You will get 2 stars and complete the mission. I'm guessing that might be true for more of the mothership guarding missions.

Base destroying missions you can just rush to the base, destroy the targets, job done. Takes 30 seconds and is the best paying in the game. Easy farming for upgrade points. Seems wrong.

In the first two car races I've done, I just drive straight and fast and I never get touched or seem to have any chance of losing, so the levels seem pointless. If you get caught in the pack it's just a skill-less spam fest. I don't like these levels.

14. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Far as I can tell Arcade just has self-centering if you let go of the stick. In normal you must straighten up yourself.

15. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #75 ScotDamn, Oct 29, 2015
    Ok that's great news. I'll up my rating to 4 if so.

I'd like to request that turning is tied to the aiming and separate from thrust. Also an invert y axis please!

16. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Yeah drone mode is fine. Plane mode the right stick is up/down and roll left/right, to turn it's still thrust and turn on right stick, ever so slowly. So basically tank and plane are subpar and drone is acceptable.

17. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    So badly need inverted y axis for touch controls. Ruining a stellar game for me. How this could be omitted is inexcusable rlly. Come on now.

18. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    I reallllly need to be able to put the shield button by the zoom button. Really glad this game doesn't get really hot using the 6!!! Great game

19. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    I certainly hope these control amendments include on screen customization. I kno u said game pads and controllers. I need to change onscreen controls and y axis, just to be clear.

20. Revolvix

Revolvix Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2014
    This. I was enjoying it to begin with using a controller but the right stick lock on camera is infuriating. Sometimes when you try to turn the turret when the tank is stationery it sticks solid so you cant move then all of a sudden it flies all over the place. Its getting confused with targeting the enemy but in its current state its unplayable for me. Also so far i haven't seen any sort of upgrade menu for your vehicles, just one mission after another. Perhaps that comes later, it does look gorgeous though. Will wait for an update, i seem to be saying that a lot recently with releases which is a bit frustrating as updates sometimes take a lot of time.