Universal Battle of the Bulge - (by Shenandoah Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by djflippy, Dec 13, 2012.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    The combat for BoB seems to be simple, but the actual play is not! I have just having my first MP again another guy -- I even yet to play the single player yet! I see he made a weak offense and I used my panzer reserve to throw it back!

As for Battle Academy, think of it as the iOS version of Steel Panther (if you know what it was).

Ah, don't get me start on Combat Mission Touch!

2. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Nice. I just took BoB and Ba lite, looking forward now to get the family to sleep and play it!

3. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Excuse me, but what is the link to BGG's discussion of BoB?

4. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Check the comments of the last post where they say it has been released.
    I just played the tutorial .... Wow! Now I understand and really look forward to have time tonight!

All new board game can wait now till Xmas iTunes cards ;-)

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
  6. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    #66 Emos, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
    Yes Combat Mission Touch...well that just makes the baby jeebus cry! :( that was probably my most bitter disappointment in iPad gaming! I remember I literally yelped for joy when I saw the surprise release because I've always thought that CM would be perfect on touch screen and always hoped it would be brought to iOS. CM:T is....OK for what it is but the full scale version I hoped for was not there. It felt more like a demo or lite version of the real Combat Mission game. I still wail in misery to this day! ;)

Nice comparison with BA and Steel Panthers though! I would liken Battle Academy as your "typical" tactical turn-based strategy game with individual units and roads and buildings. I still feel its the best representation of a TBS on the iPad, I wouldn't even classify BotB in that genre. BotB to me is representative of an operational level board wargame in the Avalon Hill or SSI spirit :)
    For example here's what BotB would probably look like if it was a paper game:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/image/55110/breakout-normandy?size=large

7. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Only played the tutorial and a quick run of To the Meuse as Axis, and am really impressed. I am not a big fan of operational level games at all (though I did spend Many hours with Atomic Games' V4V series back in the day), but I can see this really growing on me. The mechanics show an incredible amount of thought went into them, and will really help to get multiple playthroughs out of a single map.

Looking forward to Alamein already, and would love to see Hell's Highway done with this engine also.

And as for CM:T...pffft. What a waste of potential that thing was. Really shows the difference in the way devs think (or don't, as the case may be) about the future of iPad strategy/wargaming. Thankfully we have forward looking developers like Shenadoah and Slitherine bringing us great products, and sites like BGG and Pocket Tactics to keep us informed.

8. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
  9. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    Deutschland

Shenandoah Studio is aware that the game is not available in Germany (and I believe Austria and Switzerland), despite us having set it to be. We’ve contacted Apple to straighten things out.

10. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
  11. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    YES!
    YES!
    YEEESSSS!!!!

I just won my first Race to the Meuse game.
    So epic!!!!
    My Elite 116 Panzer division conquered Huy and my flanks repelled all Montgomery's attempts to isolate my units.

Was FREAKING AWESOME.

I'm now ready for the full game.
    This game is amazing.

12. Ndemic Creations

Ndemic Creations Well-Known Member

Great game - recommend it 100%!

13. sealwong

sealwong Active Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Love it so far! Very easy to pickup but hard to master. Still have to beat the race. Draw at best.

14. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Playing the grand campaign now
    It's HUGE.
    Very different from the race to the Meuse.

Loving it.

15. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks all for the links.

Looks like this game lures out many old-time wargamers!

The last operational level game on this campaign is SSG's TAO (is it for free now?), very beautiful but iirc, is quite complex. If you can find it, better check it out.

As for V4V series, that is the reason why I want the next one would be Operation Crusader (with the option to setup my starting positions). I am not sure so I would see how El Alamein turns out.

16. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Ya really, the game is easy to love and fun to play, no if I can only figure out how to beat the damn first level. It doesn't seem impossible, you deffinately need to put your thinking cap on if your gonna win though

17. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    I struggled with that, in fact it took seven goes to crack it. Oddly I completed the main bulge battle as axis on the first go. I think the opening mission does a good job of teaching you how to move your units and retain occupied space.

18. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #78 Pitta, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    Just completed the main Battle of the Bulge scenario.
    Freaking epic.

Played many games (both the fast scenario and the full campaign one) and I have to say that no two games are equal.
    And I won't even start about async multiplayer.

For reference, I was able to win the main campaign with the fast victory objective. Any other game where I failed that, was a miserable defeat...if you aren't able to put a division after the Meuse before the 19 December, the game is a brain melter...so much happen after the 20 (not good things for Axis).

Never had so much fun with a war game in my life.

Back to Ardennes, I must pass a bridge :p

EDIT: Patton down too :p

19. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I beat Monty in the second try. Concentrate panzer spearhead will do the trick. Playing Allied is another ball game.

Anyone up for a game. See my GCID on the sig.

20. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    It is indeed a great game, despite initial knee jerk reaction I'm impressed with how well it plays