Universal Battle of the Bulge - (by Shenandoah Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by djflippy, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Quick question for a quick answer hopefully!

I appreciate all the super positive impressions but this genre has always been firmly in my blind spot. Anything for me to see here?

2. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Sorry but my poor English prevent me to understand the question.

If you are asking if the game is fun to a non-pro wargamer...well...I'm no pro wargamer and I find the game incredibly fun.
    It's fast and deep at the same time.
    Maybe I played some games you already know and like/dislike so I could make some comparisons.

Let me know.

I'm stuck at work now with heavy snow outside...feels like the Ardennes...I can't wait to get back home to play.

3. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Well, actually, more like about as far removed from "pro" as you could go. :) I've never been able to get into one of these war games. Not a single one. Actually, I really enjoyed Romance of the Three Kingdoms on the Amiga back in the day. But I think that was likely largely due to the "war game" part having a context and being part of a greater whole as opposed to battle for battling's sake.

Still, the vibe in this thread is highly appealing. Actually, would be nice if there was a lite version to try come to think of it.

4. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Well...I can't think about a more suitable game to be introduced to wargaming.
    If the WW2 setting appeals to you (or you just want to know more about the battle and the period) the game is really fun...turns are fast and seems to me to be really suited to async multiplayer too.

It is very deep under the hood, but it is all masked by the killer interface.
    I guess that to win, sooner or later, you will have to read the rules...but it's fun nonetheless.

5. auerland

auerland New Member

May 8, 2012
    Not in the Swiss store

And not in the German, not in the Austrian. Very strange...

6. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    As "simple" as Battle Academy I presume? (no offense intended)

I have the game, but a link to BGG on this is very much appreciated.

7. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I do not own battle academy and I am only trying to figure this game out from the various Comments as there is a variaty of choice this week! It feels like it has a simplistic gameplay from the various comments and a relatively short single play time. Still, it seems that this simpler (as in less unit types, faster turns, etc.) approach makes the game deep.

I personally think I might just buy it,. yes, I changed my mind. And this because only way to like a game is playing in the end. Even if I would like to have more scenarios for solo play.

How is battle academy (apart from its hefty price)?

8. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    There is a lite version of Battle Academy.
    they are fundamentally different games...BA is at units level, this is at operational level.

9. matthjes

matthjes Active Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Well, it shows up in the UK and in the Danish app store...so at least in some European countries...but still not in Germany or Austria.

Maybe its a problem with the store: I have no problems opening the following link in my browser:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battle-of-the-bulge/id521833787?mt=8

It also works when I change "us" into "uk" or "dk", but it tries to open iTunes whenever I change it to "de" or "at"...strange...

10. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Is there really only 2 scenarios on the one map?

Other than feeling slightly ripped off if that is the case the game mechanics are interesting, the day aspect changes tactic a bit, need to get my head around it a little more but I like the idea of the concept. As for hardcore, I think it would be a medium, easy to get into and has supply lines, terrain, and so on but things seem to be handled in a friendlier way, not really watered down but some fat has been cut.

Background presentation is well treated and has been handled with a lot of care and thought. The user interface is also finely crafted and coherent. I do take exception to the low res examples of counters and so on in tutorials and menu items (why not just load the game assets? Would also make future upkeep easier) but other than that things are crisp.

But ouch if there's only the one map and two scenarios.

11. matthjes

matthjes Active Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Well...it's the Battle of the Bulge, as single (but big) German offensive spanning just over a month. So there is only a single map (the Ardennes).

12. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #52 Pitta, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
    Just discovered that while playing multiplayer sounds are different (ie different radio music).
    And background sounds change according to the weather of the day too.

Freaking awesome.

EDIT: I just lost a game.
    DO PRESS THE REVIEW GAME BUTTON AT THE END.
    Incredible.

13. matthjes

matthjes Active Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Whoa, stop teasing me!!! :mad: ;)

14. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I guess historically that makes sense, but would have felt you were paying for a game rather than a scenario, but my own fault for not reading the description and just going off posts.

It will be interesting to see if El Alamein will be IAP or another $14 standalone game. Scenario packs would be ideal.

15. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    This is a board game. Important to remember that. Most board games come with a game board and counters. That is what this is, so any complaints about lack of content or scenarios are misjudged.

16. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah pretty much. The best way to describe this would be an introductory-level pen and paper board wargame in the Avalon Hill tradition, except optimized for iOS. Grognards over in BGG are comparing this to a board game called Breakout Normandy. All of the math and other calculations such as the Combat Results Table (CRT, the bread and butter of divisional level wargames), terrain modifiers, counters and pips are all handled underneath the hood so you can concentrate on movement, combat and strategizing.

For those worrying about only one map two scenarios, please don't! The main campaign will be huge (just as the actual battle was, officer cadets can spend semesters studying the Battle of the Bulge) and there are so many choices and decisions to make that no two battles will ever be the same in my opinion. Only played for a short time last night but I am absolutely in love with this :)

17. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    I'm not a serious wargamer/grognard but am really enjoying Battle of the Bulge thus far. I've only played 2 games of the short scenario (3 in-game days for the Axis to reach the river) - one loss and one draw - but it definitely makes me want to play more and explore the depths of this amazing game. I'm not overly familiar with WWII history so the included history notes, photos and maps for each day's briefing are fantastic and add a ton of atmosphere to the game. The UI is extremely polished and the design work on the unit icons and other small details is excellent. The game always forces you to make tough decisions since you can only activate units in one territory on each turn. It's a pleasure to play and I think anyone who enjoys strategy games would love it.

18. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #58 Pitta, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
    To be fair, they clearily state that on their website and the videos clearily show that.

After being hammered by Allies in the 'short and easy' scenario I can already say the game will occupy my time for a loooooooong time, expecially the real full Battle of the Bulge scenario.
    Not to mention the async multiplayer, which is really well done.

While I would prefer new content as IAP as well, I think they are taking the other route...mostly because every IAP would double the footprint of the game (no fair for the ones who do not want additional scenarios).

EDIT: I'm in love with the game too, despite not being a 'grognard'.
    To the point I would say this is the very first wargame that totally clicks with me and I simply can't stop playing it (Battle Academy, while amazing, didn't clicked so. Same with Panzer Corps on PC).

19. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    According to devs twitter, they released it in Germany today...they are investigating eventual problems but it should be up soon.
    Or so I understood.

20. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009