Universal Battle Decks (by Chillingo Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    I got spec ops in my last frontline. I picked mostly snipers/mortars with evade, and merc grenadiers and grenadier items. I would try to shut down anything the enemy brought out by moving up, killing it, then moving back. They could do the same, but because I had evade it took twice the attacks, so they didnt have enough CP to move back again. I would have backline medics buffing my units every turn if the enemy couldnt kill them outright. This forced the enemy to come at me and fight me on my turf.

My bane was area of effect airstrikes as it stripped away multiple evades and crushed my squishy snipers. If a sniper got buffed enough i would load him with weapons and start hitting the base, or using him as bait to pull the enemy out of position.

My main aim was to quickly nullify enemy units, even if it cost me my own unit. By doing this I interrupted their tempo and combos, and forced them to play the game on my terms. This game is definitely giving the tactical bit of my brain a workout.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Nice! I myself have just started getting the Spec Ops play down a bit better. Early on I made some sniper heavy decks but clearly forgot the point of scooting back, so I was feebly pinging folk with my glass cannons. I now am better understanding both the need to run back and how to better protect my fragile snipers.

3. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Are the Battle Deck servers down for others as well?

4. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I don't mean to TRIPLE post, but is anybody else here at TA playing this one? I really quite enjoy it even with my general distrust of EA.

5. Boobi

Boobi Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Earning money
    BC, Canada
    I hear what you are saying I too distruct the EA logo. The game has proven fun but not sure if I am comfortable buying packs, anyone remember Assassin Creed Recollection?(Ubisoft)

At start there where issues with connections but it has gotten more stable and the battle are getting to be more fun.

6. Boobi

Boobi Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Earning money
    BC, Canada
    Alright I take that back, started a game then "Unable to connect to Game Servers"

Bleh

7. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, still occasional odd connection issues leading me to wonder if some of the odder opponent quits (he's clearly beating me but then he simply disconnected) are actually the server acting up.

While I find their bots actually decent (I think any battle vs. "Commander" is just playing the bot), I find myself being forced to battle them less often which I assume means there are more users playing.

So, Boobi, what is your main faction at the moment? While I'm still trying to get to know all of the factions, I still have the most success with my Marines. I'm not sure if it is that I have the best cards with them or simply that I have really found some winning combinations with them.

8. Boobi

Boobi Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Earning money
    BC, Canada
    Playing CyborGen, I did start out with marines I think, but when the game "reset" on me I was forced to restart and went with CyborGen and haven't looked back. I still have not tried all the factions but for now this works well.

9. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I like what I've seen of CyborGen but had a really terrible run with them in Frontline. I tried really focusing on a deck of Enforcers and Drones, but clearly didn't do a good enough job with support troops. What kind of stuff do you include in your deck besides the Enforcers and Drones?

10. xvzinjvx

xvzinjvx Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    #70 xvzinjvx, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    Agreed w/the EA thing but I've managed to hit level 10 with all the factions except for ArmaTek and have been Rank 0 since day 3.

Heres how I built each faction:
    Marines - Defense buffs with rifleman supported by Erebus (gives "Return Fire")and Ares ("+2 attack to units").

Spec Ops - Snipers w/Evade + Long Shot and Confidence.

Rebels - Speed + Suppression/Last stand + Motors and Ninjato.

Airborne - Mines + Units that impact the board immediately + Field hospital.

Cyborgen - AoE units with special cards for buffs. I only use Booster (+2 atk) and Support Drone (+1 def).

ArmaTek - Tanks (duh?) + defense buffs + repairs and low cost air attacks.

The most "different" play style is Rebels since I tend to play control-y in BD due to how everyone else is playing. I feel like most people should play rebels because i cant tell you how many times I've had Draco (3/2 Deploy any tile merc) used on the first turn to hit my base.

Obviously all my decks are pretty boring and obvious from a purpose perspective. I think the most "innovative" deck I played against was a Marine using cards like:
    Frenzy
    High Cap
    Scorpion
    Jackal
    Ox

Whats your deck looking like?

11. BadWally

BadWally New Member

Jun 8, 2015
    This has been my favorite game for the last couple of weeks.
    I think it gets so much right - the ui, art, scale. I really like how the deck building and turn based tactics are combined - probably my favorite marriage of those two concepts in an ios game.

I started with cybergen because those seemed like the strongest cards I opened. A big block of enforcers (including all the area attackers), a slightly smaller block of drones, and the rest are the bigger air attacks I own, rabbits to heal enforcers, and mines/cheetahs to run interference for enforcers.

My marine and armatek builds are getting close to that power level. Interestingly, all three of these decks are following a sort of template of: block of attackers, block of buffs/support cards for attackers and then the same set of merc cards to fill the decks out.

12. xvzinjvx

xvzinjvx Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Same. My Airbone, Marines, Spec Ops and CyborGen decks all use their faction +1 defense buff/units and grind out the game. They all have their own flavor and i like my spec ops deck the most due to Confidence on evade and having range 3 just makes it so op.

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I never knew of Erebus until you mentioned him, and have now just made a copy of him to add to my Marines deck, thanks. While I can't recall names, my Marine deck is based mainly around medics and gunners. I go gunners for my infantry as much as possible due to 1 of my 2 ultra rares, Beast, who grants permanent bonuses to adjacent gunners.

14. Boobi

Boobi Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Earning money
    BC, Canada
    Just had an awesome game, opponent got my base to 1 hit pojnt and I lucked out drawing team strength and had enough troops close enough to do 11 damage. Loveling in more each day.

15. BadWally

BadWally New Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Is anyone having trouble getting a live game?

I'm able to connect to server for things like deck building and gold accumulation. And I am connecting to game center. So I feel like I'm properly connected.
    But I couldn't launch a head to head match all weekend. I'd attempt to start a battle and the graphic would just scroll around the screen endlessly. The most I let it run was a couple minutes. But it never even matched me to an ai opponent.

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I've experienced this sort of nonsense with their servers before myself but didn't play this weekend. As much as I do enjoy this game, second maybe to the state of the Magic Duels server, these servers are a joke.

17. BadWally

BadWally New Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Thanks for the quick response.

This was one of the games I was settling on as a replacement for Magic.
    Sigh...

18. Boobi

Boobi Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Earning money
    BC, Canada
    Loving Armtek but the servers are unning on hamsters, continues to unable to connect, useless searching for players, and disconnects - although that could be players quiting. Still the server must not have been stressed tested, its odd that they are being over run right from the start.

19. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Tried to redownload this, it's not available anymore. Shame, I think it's not a bad game at all.

20. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land

I can download from my purchase history