Universal Battle Chasers: Nightwar (by HandyGames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 31, 2019.

1. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    @macplash I’m sure you can google or YouTube and probably find a guide? But the quest starts off pretty set on where to go so I’m guessing your ok on that part?

The order in the top right can change depending on what you do and what the enemy does. Like a basic attack happens instantly as do some other moves and abilities, others take time to charge once you select them which puts that’s characters turn back. Like it becomes garrisons turn and you chose an ability then it swaps to someone else’s turn while he prepares to strike. If you hold on the abilities it tells you how long it takes for the action. The enemies do the same, sometimes attack right away and sometimes charge an ability.

Mana can only be refilled by sleeping at the inn or levelling up, it’s meant to be used carefully and tactically. But you gain overcharge whenever you strike with the basic attacks and with other things it’ll tell you in its description. The overcharge shows next to the mana like for garrison he gains 15 a strike, then you can use the overcharge like mana. So it’s good to get some basic hits in and then use the overcharge for your abilities and save up the mana for tough fights. The overcharge lets you still use lots of abilities in tougher fights that aren’t over quickly.

You can hold your finger down on the abilities if you go into the different tabs at the bottom and it’ll tell you what they all do. Same for the basic attack and guard etc.

You also get abilities while exploring you can switch character on the top right and they each have different ones and you can see what they do by going into the character information on the party screen. Those are limited uses like the heal you can use out of combat 6 times but then you need to rest in the inn. With all that said I’m just over 9 hours in and I haven’t had to rest at the inn once yet.

macplash and stubbieoz like this.
  2. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    @ste86uk
    Your explanation was both better and quicker than mine :p

ste86uk likes this.
  3. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #123 macplash, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    @ste86uk thank you, that was helpful, especially the information about resting in the inn. I’m hour and a half in and already figured out a lot by myself. I guess I’m just too lazy looking for a guide online. I mean, I tried, but didn’t find anything as useful as I hoped.

I’m still not sure about the attack order entirely (the one in the upper right corner), but other stuff seems pretty straightforward so far. I really like abilities that hurts all the enemies at once like the fire waves and also like those overcharge bonuses. Bestiary is quite helpful and getting to know enemies more with each fight is awesome.

So far I’m following the main story. Just made it through the Northern iron gate, and I’m pretty much loving the game with every next encounter. Looks like I’m going to be eternally grateful to you for recommending this masterpiece and convincing me to actually try it. Btw, so far not a single crash, hiccup or slowdown whatsoever. Seems the devs pull a miracle on this one in comparison to the state the game was in during its launch.

——-
    EDIT: I’m in front of the iron outpost and it asks me to choose a difficulty. Is this the first of the dungeons I’ve read about? Like the 1 out of 8 I think. Can I replay that for a better reward eventually? And last question: can I zoom out the map during exploration? I have no sense of direction whatsoever and I’m occasionally getting lost already.

EDIT2: also, I came across the Arena but can’t enter it yet I guess. I read it’s the best way to grind some XP if struggling with difficulty. I’m not yet, but I’m already wondering how to get in. Generally, I like to grind and OP myself whenever possible. So I’m probably gonna do it in this game as well.

ste86uk likes this.
  4. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @macplash you’ll figure it all out like you already are, I guess it’s just been much easier for me because I’ve played a lot of RPG games and I love tbs and rts is nothing is ever really radically different for me.

It is a shame about the slating reviews about crashes etc when it’s amazing to have this on mobile and no issues at all for me either.

I’m really glad that your enjoying it I’m sure it’ll just grow on you more as you learn more. Those overdrives are great it’s all I use I hardly use mana apart from tough fights and I just completed the second dungeon on heroic. I keep getting new skills and points to put into training and it just changes things and gives more options. Although I’m kinda not looking forward to unlocking the other 3 characters and trying to decide which 3 to keep in my party.

Just one small bit of info, you can exit and save the game anytime you want, but if your in a dungeon and you exit and save as some have taken a while it will load you back at the entrance to it. But if you go back in your progress will be saved you just have to travel back to where you were up to, no enemies will have returned or anything. I really love the saving it makes me feel like I can drop in and play for 20 minutes if that’s all I’ve got and just save whenever I want. Oh and that bestiary tracks kills to a point and gives you small buffs for killing so many of them. Also rewards for collecting the lore I explore everything.

macplash likes this.
  5. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #125 macplash, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    @ste86uk made some edits to my previous post. Can you please take a look at those?

Also, I didn’t know there’s a skill tree or upgrading stuff. I guess I’m only about to come across these features. So far my characters are level 4 only and I didn’t see any prompt to level something up manually.

And yeah, it’s a shame people have tendency to leave negative reviews on the App Store without changing them once the issues are fixed, but that’s why I always point out to importance of beta testing. The launch of the game is usually crucial for the success. I’m not a developer, I might be wrong on the topic though.

——-
    EDIT: okay, 3 hours in. Level 6. Made it through my first dungeon successfully. But it’s 3:30 AM and I’m supposed to wake up in 4 hours. So, going to bed. But if it’s not obvious: I LOVE THIS GAME!:)

ste86uk likes this.
  6. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @macplash I’m glad your having fun and loving it that’s great news. You’ll unlock the talent trees soon then you just earn a few points every level up and can spend and change them whenever, mostly small buffs so far for me but some help too. Each character has two trees and it seems you can spread points across them, I’ve done gully as a guardian, garrison as swordsman but some in wanderer too and I forget his name but the war golem in nature all for healing. Gully always gets the gear with the best stamina and defence as she can taunt when you unlock that and takes most the punishment.

I’m only level 10 on mine do your catching up! But yes you can replay the dungeons whenever you want. As for the difficulty if you press on the next one for heroic it’ll say easy, average or hard to give you an idea which to pick. I believe it’s based on your level, I did the iron outpost on normal and then the second dungeon normal and heroic both said average difficulty so I did heroic. Although I keep getting great weapons for Garrison and none for the others!

I can’t enter the arena yet either but it talks about that beast woman in town so I think she will unlock at some point to give you things to do and to tell you to go maybe? As for the map I haven’t found a way to zoom out but it has a navigation icon on the left to zoom out and show you the map but it’s not incredibly helpful.

macplash likes this.
  7. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Hopefully nobody thinks this is really bad but I only purchased this a week ago and then the price dropped so I it it refunded so I can purchase again at the new price. But the AppStore just shows like I still own it? When previously with one I did buy and then it went on sale the day after it shown for me to buy it again in the App Store.

Anyone know how to do it?

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I believe it works on the honor system — they don’t take access to the app away from you.

9. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    They use to do that but I’ve only done it once before to re-buy at a deal price days after buying it. With that one I deleted it and then it shown for me to purchase it again to get it.

I’ve also had them not work upon launch recently after cancelling a purchase. I guess I have to delete and download again but not sure it saves my data if I do that.

Too much hassle to save £2 I should have just kept it.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Haven’t asked for a refund for a while, so I’m sure you are right. If you want to balance things out, you could buy a different HandyGame — luckily they have more than a few excellent ones.

11. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I’m pretty sure if it ever has an update it’ll prompt me to buy it again so I’ll have to try and offload it tonight and then see if it prompts me to buy it when I try to download it so I can get it at the new price.

I mean it’s more than worth it’s full original price but when it drops so soon after purchase you want that better price. If it was over the 14 days after I purchased I wouldn’t bother or even think about it.

12. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk from what I googled, just delete the app. It should show it’s price on the App Store instead of cloud icon. So you can buy it again. Don’t forget to save your progress on the cloud before you delete. But tbh, why would you go through such trouble for 2 bucks just puzzles me.

13. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @macplash so offloading should work too then shouldn’t it? Not sure if it has cloud save I’ll take a look.

Honestly if I thought it would be this much hassle I wouldn’t have bothered. The one time I did do it, it was easier than this and just let me buy it again right away at the lower price.

14. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk I don’t know what offloading is, so I can’t tell you if it’s gonna work too or not. And when you choosing your save file in the game, there’s this green cloud icon next to it. Just tap that and you’ll be offered with a choice to either save to Cloud or load from Cloud.

After 6 hours I made it to 2nd dungeon, characters level 10, but now I have a lot of points I’m supposed to spend on perks but have no idea which one or where. Any ideas?

—-

Attached Files:

ste86uk likes this.
  15. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @macplash offloading just removes data the app but keeps the save game data so makes the file very small for you to just download again and carry on playing whenever you want.

Nice your gaining on me now and it’s taken me 10 hours well 11 now, but I am exploring everything I can find and usually killing everything on the map too plus the side quests.

As for the points it’s up to you if you go into the party screen there’s a tab there for each character which then has two tabs each like Gully has defender and an attack one, you can press on them to see what buff they give and they all cost different points. You can spread them out however you like and swap them around whenever you want with no penalty or cost or anything. My Calibretto ones have healing after battle and healing at the start of battle for the most injured.

The pic shows the page you want but I’m sure you found it anyway.

Attached Files:

16. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk yeah, 9 hours, level 12 and I just made it to Junktown. All the side quests done as well. And I finished the dungeon on Legendary, got an achievement for it. What a game!

Any idea where I can find Fishmonger? I caught epic Jub-Jub and I’m supposed to sell it to him. Also, any idea what those exclamation marks mean?

—-

Attached Files:

ste86uk likes this.
  17. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @macplash nice congrats, you’ll be teaching me soon! The fishmonger is on the way to junktown it’s a little island to the north on a bend. What was it like on legendary? Which one did you try that on?

Not sure about the exclamation marks sorry.

18. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    The 2nd one. All 3 difficulties were Average, so I figured out it doesn’t matter.;)

19. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    It said hard for me at whatever level I was when I done it so I just did heroic sadly as I tried the first one when it said hard and it really was.

20. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I just died to airship pirates.. wow, those are so hard to defeat. Any tips? I assume I can’t outrun them, or can I?