Universal Battle Chasers: Nightwar (by HandyGames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 31, 2019.

1. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    icloud now live!

Mycroft and stubbieoz like this.
  2. scape211

scape211 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    So maybe this has been addressed properly but this game is utterly unplayable for me. I have an iPhone 8 and recently downloaded the game since it got solid reviews and scratches the rpg itch I’ve been wanting. So I didn’t mind paying for the heavy price tag upfront ( not really heavy but heavy in terms of apps).

Since downloading I have had crashes constantly to a point where I would maybe get through one battle at a time and hardly progress. I have tried turning down the graphics to 50%, pausing during battles, and shutting down my device to clear memory. Am I missing something where I can actually get a little further? I know multiple people have had crashing issues, but mine seemed rather severe. If it was only during certain sections or after I got like 15min of play it would be a little better. But as of right now I can’t even play it and considering getting refunded. Any other ideas I should try?

3. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    If you get nothing here, you can email support:
    https://www.handy-games.com/en/contact/

4. scape211

Jun 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    will do Talbs. I did just try turning off wifi and cell on my phone and it got slightly better it seems. Was weird that connection could have an effect, but still didnt clear the problem so maybe its a fluke. Either way, ill check in with support. If I find anything conclusive ill post here for others.

5. scape211

Jun 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    Just wanted to report that support messaged me back. They apologized of course and know that my issue is tied to increase RAM usage in the last patch. This has led to frequent crashes on many devices. They are working to resolve the issue. Unfortunately though, nothing I do on my end will really help.....just need to wait on the devs

stubbieoz likes this.
  6. Darkfyra

Darkfyra Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2017
    Crap I wonder when this game will be ok to purchase because it’s yet to be in sale in the Nintendo Eshop.

7. Phillip5

Phillip5 New Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Male
    Still waiting for an invisible joystick option before I pull the plug on this game.

What’s up with games using gigantic joysticks that cover up their beautiful artwork?

8. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #108 stubbieoz, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Huh?
    I couldn’t remember a joystick in this game and just started it up and yep there was no joystick.
    Just tap to move on overhead map and tap to attack in battles. All works great.

Edit;
    My mistake. There is a joystick in dungeons. But there is nothing wrong I could see regarding its size or transparency. In fact it disappears when you lift your finger off the screen.

9. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #109 Gwarmaxx, Dec 25, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    where TF is the "gigantic" joystick, pal? o_O looks a standard size to me.

10. Anyone already beat the game?

11. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I had this on the switch and never really got into it, I remember wondering why it was so popular because I tried it twice and never went back on it and that after paying switch prices for it.

Makara Nou and Gwarmaxx like this.
  12. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Eh, I really like it. Probably one of the best mobile premium RPGs in recent times. It might not be the best RPG but I'd say it's an amazing RPG. To each their own I suppose.

It's a very lengthy game so it's no surprise if people haven't beaten it yet. You get your money's worth. I play slow anyhow.

ste86uk likes this.
  13. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I don’t remember what it was I didn’t like so your post has inspired me to give it another shot and since it seems to be at its lowest price other than when it was free for some reason? It seems worth getting now to check it out again.

Maybe it just didn’t compare to the other amazing games I was playing at the time like Super Mario Odyssey.

14. it looks good but not sure if i will like it. But hey it hits the lowest price

ste86uk likes this.
  15. chengchisang

chengchisang Well-Known Member

May 25, 2018
    Local minimum... :). But hey the price looks great, I have bought it!

ste86uk likes this.
  16. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    With the comments from a few of you here and me wondering if I just tried the game at the wrong time when I was pretty ill I’ve purchased the game.

The sale helped me in that decision being it’s cheapest price yet but that’s not the reason I never purchased it.

So far I’m only an hour in but I’m really liking it, it’s very premium and beautiful on iOS and love that I can just save and exit whenever. So many games that should have it lack this basic need on iOS. I’ve still not done Oceanhorn 2 because they didn’t have it.

17. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Thanks for reminding me I had this game. :)

I tend to buy games and play for a while and then something new comes along and I buy it and promptly forget all about what I was playing before....... hence why I have an almost a full 256gig iPad Pro that is 99% games. :rolleyes:

I just fired up this game again and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to return to. Quest list very helpful and main campaign is highlighted which direction to go. Combat was easy to pick up again and I started winning battles straight up.
    And as you said the save system is very user friendly, a feature that I tend to put a high priority upon, especially in iOS games.

I have a lot of games that I haven’t played for a while and I simply forget what to do next and the game itself doesn’t help to trigger my memory. I would need to start all over with them so I usually just start them up and then quickly close them off.

But this game is very user friendly and I can easily continue with my 8.6 hours, already played, saved game.
    And apart from that it is a damn fine turn based rpg.
    You should enjoy it, ste86uk ;)

ste86uk likes this.
  18. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @stubbieoz I’m glad my post reminded you about this game, I definitely know those feelings with all the games I buy and when I check something out again after ages and forgot how it worked and have to start again or just can’t be bothered.

Only 3 and a half hours in so far, just wondering for those of you that have played more what is the worst that can happen with interactions? Like when you chose to do something? I know I could google what will happen but I don’t want to know but can I die? Lose gold? Or can it just make things harder for me? If I’m not lucky that is.

Also just wondering how you know when to play a dungeon in average, heroic or epic? Is it based on skill or level for when you should try the next step up?

19. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    So I just picked this up on sale after @ste86uk had convinced me that I have to try it, but after the first half an hour I’m pretty much lost already. Does the game has no tutorial? Aside from telling me how to move in the beginning, there’s absolutely no guidance whatsoever. I went into a few battles against some slimes but with no explanation what to do.

I figured out I have attack and defense buttons. I got some abilities but they cost mana I guess? I don’t know how to refill it. The icons in the upper right corner during the battle doesn’t make any sense. I thought it’s an order of whose turn it is, but it skips some without explanation.

So, can someone direct me to a good beginner’s guide with thoroughly explained game mechanics and whatnot? Preferably video guide and ideally for iOS so I’m not confused by the different UI right away. Or did I actually somehow skip the tutorial in-game? Any help would be highly appreciated!

I love what I’ve seen so far, but what does it matter if I have no idea what I’m doing. Unless it’s part of the design and I’m actually supposed to figure out everything by myself in which case I’m not that thrilled.

20. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    During battle you have the character and enemy turn indicator bar in the top right hand corner.
    When you select a skill or magic ability, in the description it will say if the skill is instant, very fast, fast, etc. When you tap on the skill you will see your character icon move along that indicator bar, showing you when the character will actually perform it.
    Instant = instantly.
    Very fast = maybe instant or will happen after one other character moves.
    Fast = will happen after a couple of others have moved first.
    and so on.
    Confirm the ability and the character icon will then move along the bar accordingly.

The first part of the game is indeed the only tutorial.
    When in the game tap on the pause button and you can access the Game Manual which explains the mechanics of the game.

If a spell costs mana then the amount is mentioned in the spells description.
    Mana gets filled by using/crafting mana potions or going to the tavern and resting in the town of Harms Way.

ste86uk likes this.