Universal Battle Chasers: Nightwar (by HandyGames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 31, 2019.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Fully agree.

I got this on my Switch a couple of months ago and barely played it. As metalcasket mentioned, this game is perfect for an always-there platform — I’ve been jumping in and out over the last couple of days and gotten way farther than I did on the Switch. And so far it has really been worth it. There’s really a lot to this game, and it’s all coming together quite nicely.

metalcasket likes this.
  2. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Looks like a patch was just released that addresses that very problem.

And wow!!.... this game plays, sounds and looks absolutely fantastic on my new iPad Pro 12.9”. :D

But what the heck is up with that home bar thingy Apple put in?!
    I suppose I will get used to it eventually but it sure is a distraction at the moment.
    Hopefully Apple will do something when the new iPadOS is released and give is an option to hide the damn thing.

3. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

welcome to my biggest frustration with the iPhone

and I’m on the beta, they’ve done nothing to address it at least on the phone. I have been trying to figure out what the solution could be and I can’t think of anything Apple would get on board with.

at least on my xs max it’s partially disabled, but there is no way to fully have it off, I’ve not seen any apps that fully “turn it off” - it’s one of the main reasons I’m not upgrading to the newer home button-less iPads.

4. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #44 Pitta, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Woah.
    Again....just woah.
    Suffered my fist TPK, cleared my first dungeon, solved a bunch of cool puzzles, killed my very first boss, listened to more dialogues, watched many more cutscenes (including super cool ones out of nowhere about side quests or special powers like FF summoning), crafted items, discovered lore, had nice finding fishing (!!!!)....this game has it all, including incredible AAA polish.
    I’m super hooked by the story too.
    I didn’t know but dungeon are somewhat randomized, like in Warhammer Quest....and while being a MASSIVE game with a ton going on, it’s pretty perfect for mobile to do a dungeon (or some rooms, or just some fights)on and off.
    I really didn’t need a new massive game, but I’m super glad I bought it...has been fantastic so far.
    Did anyone mention the game is absolutely GORGEOUS and full of details?

Highly recommended.

BTW...regarding the bottom iOS bar to change apps.
    Do you know you can permanently disable it on a per app basis?
    I do all the time, especially in action games.
    Now I don’t remember how to activate it because I did it long ago (it’s an accessibility setting, but it’s a bit convoluted the first time), google ‘how to hide iOS bar’ or something like that.
    I just triple press and disable it (and you need to do the opposite to exit the game).

5. andsoitgoes

I think you may be referring to guided access mode which can be enabled in the accessibility settings.

basically turning it on removes any ability to navigate away from the app you’re currently in. It’s used as a parental tool as well as for KIOSK setups to prevent people from leaving the app that’s selected.

the problem that I have with doing that as it effectively cuts off my ability to receive notifications in any way shape or form. I need to test to see if it also silences my Apple Watch notifications as I’m likely wearing my watch when playing, but if it doesn’t I can’t use it 90% of the time for fear of missing an important communication from my family, or a phone call or whatever.

if there’s another way, I’ve not found it through any searching. I still wish Apple would allow us to disable it but so be it.

6. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Re the home bar of x devices. Devs have two options when building a game. First is the have the bar fully visible and backgrounds the app as soon as it’s flicked up. The second is to have the bar half visible (opaque) and requires two flicks up to background the app. There’s no visible option at all and it’s an oversight by Apple imo.

For what’s available to build in to the app as of right now, the devs have done what they can.

andsoitgoes likes this.
  7. andsoitgoes

agreed on both points, I expected it to be like oh so many games that don’t disable this at all (again, looking at you walk master!)

the way this game handles it is the best possible way we could get with apples current system.

It SORELY needs correcting. Having the bar invisible UNTIL you swipe up should be the gold standard. Maybe once we get past the learning period and have a few more devices under the belt of the general population there will be the opportunity to do something. I would love to see on setup the ability to choose this alongside the zoom feature or whatever. Like after a DAY who can’t figure out how it works, literally no one. A 90 year old would be able to understand it, but this is apples hill they’re dying on.

I honestly have no complaints about how this port has been handled. Other than lacking MFI support which, again, should be the standard.

Talbs likes this.
  8. downgrad3r

downgrad3r Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Thank you for clearing that up! I was planning to purchase this as soon as I finish Hyper Light Drifter. Now I can do so with confidence.

This suggestion is very helpful and greatly appreciated!

Great insight! I am willing to accept the notification trade off at certain times. Your detailed response has helped to inform my use of the function.

I understand both sides here. Your point is well-taken, but there are a number of people who—for reasons we may never fully understand—simply fail to grasp the mechanics of iOS navigation even after extended use. It would be a great option for advanced users. An option to enable guided access without compromising notifications would be perfect. Allowing app-switching during guided access would defeat its stated purpose. I supposed the same could be said for allowing either that or notifications, though. The One+ 7 Pro, an Android device that runs on the “Oxygen OS” variant, has introduced a gaming mode. Guiding Tech describes it thus: “Apart from aggressive CPU utilization, it also comes with an advanced [do not disturb] mode that shuts off every call, message, and notification (except the alarm and low-battery notification).” I’ve included the link for those interested. Might be something we could suggest via Apple’s feedback program. They may be more receptive since gaming appears to have become a point of emphasis.

https://www.guidingtech.com/top-oneplus-7-pro-tips-tricks-oxygen-os-features/

One last thing: the devs have indicated that iCloud rests atop their wishlist (see attached image). I also provided them with a link to the forum via email. Maybe they’ll stop by to provide more details on future updates.

Attached Files:

ioso, andsoitgoes and stubbieoz like this.
  9. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I agree that the dev of this game has done the best available to them and made the Home Bar opaque so it is not as noticeable.

And the “guided access” is an available workaround though I get the feeling that quickly pressing the power switch three times to enable it and then three times to disable, will result in my power switch being the first thing to break on my terribly expensive iPad. :(

downgrad3r likes this.
  10. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    A rather informative review for anyone interested (on the switch version but all applies):

I’m not in yet, but have wishlisted this. RPG’s just aren’t quite my thing mostly because I find the story and cutscenes bloat the game experience for me, though I’m seeing many say the story is decent in this one so that might make things better. Have wishlisted it for now.

houseofg likes this.
  11. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I’m impressed that they have this game and Titan Quest as well as delta updates that can update the app in place. Very nice for those of us that are filled to the brim on our idevices to not have to offload something to update an almost 2 GB app.

stubbieoz likes this.
  12. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Amazing premium game with stunning graphics at a very low price. Thank god devs like these exist bringing PC games to ios. I also appreciate the fact the game IS full screen on almost every device i have seen. Great answer to all these devs who bring pc games to ios making lame excuses for black borders around the screen. I would pay 5 times more for this gem.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I’m still torn on this mostly due to having to make space ! How quick are the battles as I’m not normally keen on turn by turn battles. Is there a button to have a fast battle ??

Are there lots of random fights. Can you run ?

Also is it an open world or quite linear ?

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    1: battles are pretty fast, but there is no fast battle button.

2: random fights happen only in the overworld. For the most part, it’s similar to ChronoTrigger , where enemies are are visible and can be avoided (though they will chase you). And yes, you can run from a fight.

3: it’s path based but free exploration, with things opening up as the story progresses. The story is linear, but there are side quests, optional dungeons, etc.

15. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Everything was already answered by squarezero, but I just wanted to add it is worth every byte of your limited hard drive.
    I also asked the dev if the iOS version was exactly the same as the Steam version as I already own that. Sometimes devs somewhat dumb down a game when coming from pc to the mobile platform.
    Happy to report that the dev stated the game has exactly the same content as the pc version and the only differences are specific for the touch screen interface.

16. andsoitgoes

One thing I will admit to is the movement around the map is QUITE slow. To me that’s one of my biggest issues with the game, that and not being able to see your party’s moves while in battle, but these are all insignificant refinement issues.

i NEEED MFI Support, though. My arm was so sore after playing over the last few days. I might have to switch the save to my iPad so I can just use the pencil and control the game. It’s just killing me. That or I’ll have to grab it on the switch, but I really don’t want to throw away $14 if there is the possibility they’ll patch it.

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Huh? Not sure what you mean by this.

18. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Two things I would like to see is the ability to transfer saves using icloud (at least between iPhone and iPad) and MFi support.
    The reason I would really like MFi support is the rumble feedback in this game is really well done on the Steam version so I would assume it would be the same on mobile controllers.

One little thing to know is that later in the game when you level up somewhat and you come across lower level enemies in the overland you can just choose to ignore them. Saves a lot of boredom fighting low level enemies.

andsoitgoes likes this.
  19. andsoitgoes

Sorry been a LOONG day. I meant being able to see your party’s move list. Like if you’re in game and you forget which one in your party has the best healing ability, there’s no way to know beyond waiting for your turn to come.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Ah — yes. Hasn’t been an issue for me.