Universal Battle Chasers: Nightwar (by HandyGames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 31, 2019.

1. sharfaust

sharfaust Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Also, it doesn’t make much sense to put the entire name there (which uses ellipses if the name is too long) when the app icon has the entire name of the game already.

BlueTrin, JasonLL, Taeles and 2 others like this.
  2. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Oh dear. TQ is the only one of their catalogue I’ve owned or followed, clearly not a good example!

Bought yesterday afternoon, given its payday. Though alongside graveyard keeper, which is currently getting most of my attention!

3. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    This game is spectacular.

The only request I have is to have an option to make the joystick invisible. I love the fact that it works literally anywhere on the screen, but I would much prefer the joystick to not appear when I start moving the character.

OddAlun and JasonLL like this.
  4. OddAlun

OddAlun Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Aggreed! My request is auto rotate... I tend play landscape games with the Home Button to the left.

JasonLL likes this.
  5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Wonderful game. Nothing but absolute praise. You can immediately see how this could get Grundy (thanks autocorrect) and repetitive, but that’s where this being on mobile and us not playing on console/PC is the biggest advantage. It really is the perfect game to bounce in and out of when you’ve got a few minutes.

Regarding the app icon’s title, that was absolutely an issue I was always willing to fight for, but ever since iOS introduced folders I don’t find myself bothered by it at all. I do agree that it’s silly having to have the full title when it’s there in the icon though, and it would be nifty just having a clean Battle Chasers though.

The intro-disabling issue, I must say, is super nit-picky. :p Sorry L.Lawliet. *runs away* I mean, we do have to sit through 10 seconds of splash screens anyway. It’s not like holding your thumb down for an additional 3 seconds is the end of the world.

6. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    How is TQ not a good example? They’ve been updating it constantly unlike the previous owners of the game. Seven updates in the last three months including iPhone X support. It’s been running great for me lately.

It was that effort that encouraged me to get this game TBH.

7. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I suspect I stopped following the thread about three months ago, then!

8. chengchisang

chengchisang Well-Known Member

May 25, 2018
    MFi-controller supported?

9. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    A million times this! I like the home button on the left because then the headphone cord is in the upper right which means it doesn’t interfere with the bottom left v-stick / left thumb. It’s a common oversight, from what I’ve seen, and auto rotation usually gets implemented soon after release.

10. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    No. some of the navigation buttons work on my steelseries nimbus but no, the games entirely unplayable with a controller atm. Wierd too, I seem to recall them confirming controller support months back when I asked them on facebook. Hmm.

11. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Honestly not sure why anyone would want to use a controller for this game. Far more suited to touch screen IMO.

One of the reasons I got this even through I already own it on Xbox One. Just think JRPGs are great on mobile.

ioso likes this.
  12. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Woohoo!
    I have been excited for this since I first heard it was coming to iOS as I already have the Steam version and always felt it would be a perfect fit for mobile, and today I’m getting the 3rd Gen large iPad Pro. Can’t wait to see how it looks on that baby. :cool:

Apart from the request for auto rotate, and the invisible joystick, I sent a request to the devs to be able to transfer saves from the Steam version to iOS, and vice-versa, if possible.

13. OddAlun

Dec 2, 2017

14. OddAlun

Dec 2, 2017
    #34 OddAlun, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Carefull, read the app store reviews... sorry bug detecting 2gb mem on newer ipad pros.

15. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I’m in your camp here with everything.

to quell some of the points:

People have issues with icons and stuff in almost every platform, so why can’t we want a change to make the app name fit within a limit we have? I don’t think that’s at all unreasonable to ask. We have a premium device and are paying for a premium release. Apple is at fault to a degree as this is STILL an issue over 12 years after the debut of iOS, but that being said developers can see what the thing looks like, if it’s as simple as truncating they title to make it fit, I truly believe that should be a consideration.

now to the opening intro movie, when a game that has so many niggling issues such as Harry Potter can have a setting to toggle off the intro animation, there’s no reason that once you watch it it should still hang around. Again adding a setting to disable that after the first go isn’t unreasonable. It’s a big game and will likely be in a situation where we have to reload it from memory, and honestly watching an intro might be fun for the first few times, but for a game we could be playing for over 100 hours, being able to toggle that off just makes sense.

and finally man that home bar issue. That’s a real bugbear for me. I am getting so sick and tired of that simple adjustment being ignored by developers that it really hampers my decision as to whether I will buy a game. Too many times playing games will I accidentally trigger multitasking and while this doesn’t really impact the gameplay, it does add a layer of distraction that I don’t think is necessary. This is not a difficult fix, and games like Civ responded immediately and took care of the problem. There’s no reason anything should detract from getting engrossed in a game, there’s zero reason why it can’t be toggled and considering how it just gets slapped on in updates by developers, it also doesn’t strike me as something we should be having to ask at this point considering next gen every device will likely be without a home button. currently the only solution to resolving this is putting on guided access. Which while an okay solution on, say, an iPad - it’s absolutely not a solution on a device like a phone. I can do it, but it effectively turns on do not disturb, so I won’t get a single notification. I haven’t tested whether it allows notifications to funnel through to the watch yet, which I really should test, but we should totally not have to make that sacrifice.

again, though, this is also an issue that I put on the shoulders of Apple even more than the app name. Having the nav bar default to require two bits of activation or simply allowing the customer to choose which apps have it default to “always active” or “hidden” would be ideal. I don’t foresee Apple doing that. But it goes back to the other fact: DEVS KNOW THIS.

Now that said, will I buy this? Oh 99% chance I will. I’ve been looking for something like this to sink my teeth into and it’s time for a bit of a nostalgia trip. I have yet to find a game that scratches my FF3 itch that doesn’t feel like it’s got a foot in 2 worlds, I need a meaty game that has a perfect fit on mobile, and those issues while significant I don’t think are fully deal breakers in my mind.

downgrad3r likes this.
  16. andsoitgoes

sure is!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Chasers#Battle_Chasers:_Nightwar

Written and pencilled by a legend in comics, wrote for uncanny X-Men in what I consider the true pinnacle of the X-Men comics, the late 90s. Also was the director of the pretty freaking awesome game Darksiders, too!

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Dude, thing is, the intro is skippable. They don’t force you to watch it every time. That would be absurd considering it’s a couple of minutes long. It literally takes you 3 seconds of holding down on your screen and you’re done. Having more options is fine, but let’s be reasonable...this is the farthest thing from necessary, given that there’s already a solution to the “problem”.

18. chengchisang

chengchisang Well-Known Member

May 25, 2018

Yeah, as you say, it is on XB1, and FYI is on Switch, why in the 'verse does this meed nothing supported with controller on iOS? Let's ask them to put a touch screen control for your XB1 version, shall we?

19. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Woah.
    Rarely I saw a game as gorgeous as this one and one that screams AAA premium so much at every screen.
    My first hour just flew by in the blink of an eye.

squarezero and Son of Anarchy like this.
  20. andsoitgoes

I have severe RSI and having a larger than average phone (the max) I can really irritate it using the touch screen.

the game has its roots on consoles/PCs which means it was built around controller support. I understand that 99% of the people playing might not need it, but for people in the same boat as me, that addition would be much much much appreciated.

I posted my comment before playing the game, so I’ll amend it a little bit now that I somehow soaked in a damn hour of the game!

First, MC I should have believed you. You were totally right. The skipping isn’t a thing at all. I still see a world where having that option wouldn’t be a terrible thing; but hell its just fine. It takes a few seconds extra and it’s nothing I’ll get mad at.

ALSO - this game completely treats the navigation bar perfectly. I don’t want it permanently hidden, I just want it to require 2 swipes to activate it and this game does JUST THAT, so I have ZERO complaints at all!

So far I’m loving the game. The voice acting does leave a lot to be desired and I won’t say that the writing is up there with, say, FF3 which to me is the gold standard of JRPG, along with maybe Lunar which holy crap how did that game have such a fantastic story.... I really need to replay that one but OOOF is it hard!

so after an hour in game, literally my only issue is not having MFI support. And that’s something I will message the devs about. Everything else? well the best thing I can say is that this game is way better than it has any right to be for an indie game. I expect to sink A LOT of time into it.

ALSO, don’t rip the sign from the door. I stupidly did that and now I’m terrified of the consequences I’m going to face. Yikes.

Taeles, squarezero and metalcasket like this.