Universal Battle Bay (By Rovio Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 3, 2017.

1. brianj22

brianj22 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Nah, you're right, my bad. I always says don't knock it til you try it and then do just that. I'll download now hahaha. Rovio just turns me off.

2. brianj22

brianj22 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2016
    But yes there are points in games where they're really fun but you're just grinding at a certain and you lose the fun.

3. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    #23 BravadoWaffle, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    There are no bots in the game after the tutorial. Just bad noobies. I am P0rthos in game and have been playing since it soft launched last year.

It never really feels like u need to grind, and no paywalls or crazy timers or b.s. Like that. U just play and learn, and earn while u learn, and u crush other players while doing it, so it's fun. ;) They are surprisingly generous on giving away items and resources. Overall though, its more a game of skill than a game of grinding for weapons.

Very in depth strategy here, and it only gets better the deeper you go.

4. Bumpygames

Bumpygames Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2016
    croatia
    cool free game
    but no need for long iritaiting tutorial at all

5. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Downloaded it and played the tutorial and a few matches so far seems pretty decent so I'll keep playing and see how it goes.

I wish I could unlock the defender or repair ship early I generally play defence or healer when the choice is there. Anyone tried them yet?

6. TheVimFuego

TheVimFuego Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Absolutely, the number of games where the progression has slowed to a crawl due to ramping up the in game costs are huge.

I like this one though and as others have said it's skill based and the rewards seem generous.

So much so I may chuck some $ in eventually just because I'm getting so much fun out of it and want to encourage more of the same.

7. TheVimFuego

Dec 7, 2014
    The defender is cool health wise but I prefer more firepower. A couple of relatively quick-loading weapons and a bit of speed is my preference.

The healer is great when you're lobbing out health crates for others. Success largely dependant on your teammates having a clue. ;)

I'm on the verge of my first ship upgrade ... not sure what to go for ... I'm mostly just levelling up the crew in the meantime.

8. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Yeh I am starting to enjoy the more weapons bit at the minute I was using grendaes and a sniper but I swapped to an upgraded cannon and mortar and I usually do the most damage and get the most kills.

What is sugar for exactly? I'm maxed out can't see what to spend it on.

Also just a small negative but the game is ugly as hell the ships themselves look fine but the scenery...

9. TheVimFuego

Dec 7, 2014
    I went completely against my instincts and went for the Mk2 Defender now tricked out with a rare Cannon (got from a crate thanks to my pearl stockpile) and epic Blast Cannon with the biggest turbo I can muster.

Sugar is for upgrading the crew, I think the idea is not to have any downtime and keep the upgrades going. Higher levels give boosts to items and enable perk slots for them. Lengthy waits though, I always find myself maxed out.

10. BravadoWaffle

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Good combo! When you get your 3rd weapon slot, add in a flare gun, napalm, or firebomb for some real fun. Canons combo well with burning weapons thanks to Bhurt's burn bonus skills. As far as blue items go, Big Shield, Little Shield, Turbo, Rudder, and a Bandage are my recomendation.

I play defender as well now, used to play Speeder, it's a lot of fun. Needs a little balancing, but still, it's fun to be blue.

Use sugar to keep one crew member training at all time. In between training times, use sugar to upgrade your weapons and items.

11. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    So far I've just been training the first crew member mostly I can't see why to bother using the others I have available over it yet.

12. Artifex 28

Artifex 28 Active Member

Apr 13, 2012
    Extremely pay to win. To unenjoyable level.

13. BravadoWaffle

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Poppycock. I've paid next to nothing into the game and never ever had an issue. Currently sitting at #26 in the world, and #1 in the US. Not pay to win by any means. In fact, those who drop tons of cash into the game tend to not fair well against the smarter players who use tactics and strategy. It's not a game of weapons, it's a game of skill and teamwork.

14. TheSop

TheSop Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2016
    Great game, two questions.

1) if you go into options and then select Account, I have a very long account id made up of random letters of upper and lower case and numbers that can be copied to clipboard. Is this normal, what's it for?

2) Why is there always a red 1 notification in the app icon when I haven't got anything to collect in game? It won't go away.

Thanks

15. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I wish there were other control options I'd like a tap on a location to move and leave aiming as is. I find the movement with the thumb not to be that great at times it doesn't feel very smooth or as responsive as it should be.

16. rammywts

rammywts Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Go through the list of the other crew and you will see. More Hp for ships and shields, damage for weapons, etc

17. Artifex 28

Artifex 28 Active Member

Apr 13, 2012
    I was about 50 matches deep in the game. At that point the tankiest ships around had about 1.3k hitpoints.

Then suddenly a player with a ship with 4.4k hit points appears.

Granted, I was on 100% win rate so might have higher ELO opponents, if such exist, but as a F2P that killed the fun for me completely. Instant uninstall.

18. cuppy

cuppy Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Any TA guild yet?

19. BravadoWaffle

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    #39 BravadoWaffle, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
    So you u installed after your first loss? Lol. ;) that's tough...

If you won your first 50 matches, that would give you an infamy of around 1200. You would be battling far above your weight that early on. Matches are based on infamy scores, not elo. So I'd consider it a compliment that your game thought you were good enough to see what bigger and better players are like.

It all balances out, and if you encountered a player that low in infamy with 4.4k hp, it means either he won't be there for long (he paid to speed up his progress and will be in different league very soon), or he is so bad that he deserves to be that low. In which case, you get the pleasure of sinking his fat backside. =]

20. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It feels like I'm only battling bots. All standard usernames which ends with 2/3 numbers. I feel like I'm past the tutorial with 10 games or so.