Battery Replacement?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by undeadcow, Aug 23, 2012.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #1 undeadcow, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    My iPod Touch 3G 32GB running iOS 5.0.1 has been giving me problems for a while by sporadically charging when plugged in to devices (giving an error that charging device is not compatible). Recently the battery icon/percentage got stuck at 100% all the time. Now the iPod is dead and does not seem to charge at all. I ordered a replacement battery including tools to remove the screen ($6) and soldering iron ($7) from Amazon and am going to go for the gusto. Aside from a botched attempt to solder copper plumbing piping and limited experience ripping open personal computers I don't have much experience with iDevice repair. Does anyone have any advice or tips in this scenario? I am aware of the multiple YouTube video and web pages, but thought I'd see what comes up here too. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Also, for what it's worth I called Apple Store in my area and was told they would not quore a repair estimate over the phone so I would have to come in to speak with a tech. The internet tells me that they don't replace batteries but give a discounted reconditioned unit. ...so here's a special "screw you too" to Apple.

2. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    yeah, i've heard this as well, and it's really annoying. I just don't trust third party batteries. [probably they are fine, but just in my head]

I wonder if it's because yours a previous generation? would they replace a 4G's battery?

3. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #3 undeadcow, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    My research indicates that Apple endorses a general "up yours" refusal on battery replacements regardless of device generation. The more I research battery replacement solutions the more I'm tempted to switch to Android (but sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't; plus I feel like I've invested enough in App Store).

Amazon.com has OEM batteries that indicate satisfactory reviews so I'm going to take my chance. Also I noticed that screen replacements are also remarkably cheap.

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I would look up a guide on ifixit for the battery replacement

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The Apple reconditioned units that Apple gives are as good as a brand new model. Plus if you have a scratched screen or case, that will all be gone with the replacement - their reconditioned stuff gets new cases and screens if needed, and a new battery. Plus you'll walk in and then walk out with the replacement. It's not such a bad policy.

Now having said that, I've never taken anything into them for a new battery, so I don't know firsthand that that's what they do in those cases.

6. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I will acknowledge getting a new reconditioned unit at a discount is sometimes a good deal; but wonder about the development of a product that not even the manufacturer feels comfortable repairing.

7. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Attempted to change out my battery resulted in cracked "screen" (external cover of actual internal screen), burn to my index finger, and a still dead iPod. Conclusion: I still feel better than letting Apple charge me $109 for a reconditioned unit. Good timing at least with 5G expected in a few weeks. I might toy around a bit further but was only speculating the battery needed changing to begin with.

8. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I assume that if it's a phone in question, you actually get yours back, correct? After all, every cell phone has a unique device identifier (not the UDID, the IME, I think.

There are other possibilities. I now that there is a well reviewed case/second battery for the iphone 4/4s, maybe similar options are available for other models.

9. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    One more thing...I do believe Apple is killing off the ipod lite, with the exception of the nano. If so, Every one is going to have to make make a switch, sooner or later.

I always believed that batteries that couldn't be swapped was a terrible idea.

10. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    ipod lite?

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Exchange. I recently purchased a replacement (my iPhone 4 got water damaged) and it was an exchange. No problems in the transfer, so I'm not sure what the UDID and IME are for, but they don't seem to be of any matter. Or maybe it's because mine is an AT&T one and uses a SIM card? But I presume the do the same for phones that don't use a SIM.

12. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Wow this is new to me I just took it for granted you could get a new battery if you wanted as that's how almost everyone justified the non replaceable battery in the first place.

Apples really looking worse to me everyday lately, I think my iPod is on it's last legs too but lucky enough my phones completely replaced my iPod lately and I can buy new batteries and even extended batteries for that with no hassle at all.

13. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    To clarify, I don't know anything about what they do if you go in for a new battery. I was talking about when they exchange in-store for other reasons (defect, or in my case, water damage). In the past I thought they said they'd do a battery replacement for $100 or something like that. My guess is that that actually entailed an exchange, but I don't know as I've never done it.

14. If I were you, I would just go to a repair store either in your city or on the internet. When I broke my iphone 4 screen, I thought it was the end of the world, but called around and found a place where I took it in and they fixed it in 30 minutes for $80.

Iphone batteries are much cheaper to get fixed, been quoted from around $30 to $50. When they take apart the iphone, the screws are really small, and there are tons of parts. I think it is easier to use a shop than do it yourself. I'm an electrical engineer, and it's just a lot of work to do the work yourself.

15. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Greyskull might be referencing rumors that Apple will not release another iPod Touch and switch instead to a 7.x'' screen "iPad Mini." We should know more between September 12ish to late October.