Battery-lite games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by thumbs07, Nov 16, 2010.

1. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Two super ones I've come across; trainyard and whirl word.
    What are some other good ones?

2. kaboom132

kaboom132 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Best way to go battery-lite is to turn on Airplane Mode.

Otherwise, the simple and addictive 2D games like Doodle Jump, Flight Control, and Helsing's Fire are good for that.

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Also avoid any games that use the accelerometer - some games use it just to orient the screen up/down...

Another good general tip is to set the brightness to Auto.

It seems that 2D games should use less battery, but I've found that the 3D game The Quest is very easy on the battery if you fix the orientation. (I've spent many hours playing The Quest. ;))

4. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Definitely don't play Orbital or Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. Two of the most battery-draining games around, from my experience.

5. Zoet

Zoet Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Newcastle, Australia
    The very best game for conserving battery I have found is Phoenix Wright.

Unity games should be avoided If you want to conserve battery. They seem to be particularly battery hungry.

6. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Game Dev Story I've played for 5+ hours before it dying on me, after a full charge.

7. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Zentomino and Tan Zen last forever

8. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Good recommendations, tips ta.

9. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    PathPix and Arcade Solitaire: TriTowers have lasted forever on one charge for me.

10. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    Do not play gameloft games for too long in one seating.

11. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Flight Control
    Bit Pilot
    Any Nimblebit game
    Helsing's Fire
    Trainyard
    The Quest
    Game Dev Story
    Any Keiffer Bros. game (Aquaduct, Orba, Abca...)
    Word Solitaire: Aurora
    Huebris
    Carcassonne (which I'm actually impressed. With how good it looks you'd think it'd be a drain)

12. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Does anyone know of any others? This thread is really helpful :)

13. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    First of all to make your battery last longer you need to stick to the standard iPhone battery saving rules, for example:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=525741

This way you can always save a couple of % of battery, and who knows, maybe because of that you will save someone’s life one day :)

Next thing, you have to keep in mind what drains the most of battery when it comes to games. The biggest battery killer is obvious – 3D graphics. The more advanced it is, the more energy it drains. So the conclusion is this - you want your battery to last longer, stay away from games like Aralon, Infinity Blade, Galaxy on Fire 2, Space Miner, Revolt, Rage etc.

Another thing – Game Center, Openfeint, Plus+ and all the other networks. If you play a game using one of these, your battery life will be shortened. The reason for this is that the game connects many times (or stays connected all the time) when you play. If you are using 3G the battery usage gets bigger. So if it's not a problem, go into airplane mode while playing to save some battery energy.

You want to play longer without charging your battery, stick to the games that have 2D graphics (good example is puzzle genre):

Cut the Rope
    Doodle Jump
    Fragger
    Angry Birds
    Azkend
    Heroes of Kalevala
    Trainyard
    Blocks Mania
    Fantastic Contraption
    Super 7
    Ragdoll Blaster
    Sparkle
    Smiles Drop/Zen
    Time Geeks
    Geared 1 / 2
    Super Stick Golf

From my experience most of retro – pixel – art games don’t drain battery too fast so:

Zenonia 1 / 2
    Seed 1 / 2
    Inotia 2
    Game Dev Story (very battery – lite, I can play for hours without recharging)
    Stone Wars
    Mecho Wars
    Rogue Runner
    Knights of the Phantom Castle
    Trace
    Palm Heroes
    Itarus
    all of the games from Donut Games – Cat Physics, Rat on a Scooter, Castle Smasher, Jungle Crash Land, Gold Miner Joe, Sunday Lawn.

Here’s my hint – if you want to check the battery usage of a game, play it for around 10-15mins and check the back of your iPhone/iPod. If it is very warm it means your hardware (processor etc.) is very busy, so it drains your battery like paying taxes drains your wallet : )

All of this is based on experience with my iPhone 3Gs, iOS 4.2, with a battery that is around 11 months old. I know how to take care of battery so even now I feel it is in rather good shape. Hope it all helps.

14. Gamebook Adventures don't chew up much.