Battery life

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Mag, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    #1 Mag, Jul 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
    Right now I'm at 52% battery and got 2hr 51 mins usage and 14hr 11mins standby.
    Usually I get about 5-6 hours of usage (depends on how much of the time is spent on games).
    I've read that due to the improved cpu and gpu in the 3GS the battery lasts shorter than the 3G while doing games.
    Anyone who can say if this is normal battery performance or below average?

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I've heard that's it's below average, but it also has to do with the new OS. The constant push-notifications take up a lot of power while they run in the background.

3. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
  4. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
  5. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I have a 3 Gs and battery life can last 7-9 hours or only 1-2 depending on what game I am playing. I have most everything turned off most of the time (push, wifi, localization, etc. ) games don't necessarily have to look like they are graphically intense either. I can't really find a reason for why it sometimes lasts along te and other times gets used up rapidly.

6. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Does turning localization completely off, or just saying NO to whenever it prompts and asks for permission for localization make any difference for battery?

7. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    I'd say turning it off completely, since having it on wastes power prompting you and prepping for if you do say "yes".

8. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Well, the power it takes for prompting etc is probably like 0,0001% of the battery, I was wondering if, when it's enabled, keeps track roughly of where you are to make a gps fix easier once it does get prompted, or something along those lines. I'll disable it though and see how it goes the next week.
    I heard for some people restoring their phone without using a backup helped loads for the battery life, but I dont want to lose all my saved games.

9. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    It's hard to say - when I am out and about I turn the localization on, so I get asked if want to use those features. At home, when I just using it as a game machine - I turn it off to try and preserve battery life.

It has actually got frustrating enough for me that I bought a 10 ft male / female USB extension cord so I can keep the iPhone plugged in while I am playing something.