Universal Bastion (by Supergiant Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Agas, Aug 29, 2012.

1. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Might be time to upgrade my ancient iPad1. I'd love to play this one on it!

2. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #22 violentv, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
    meh... you are probably the one of the rare few who didn't enjoy Bastion. Everyone has different expectations of games though! I have also been disappointed with some universally praised games.

The game caught me the moment the narration started. The gameplay is pretty fun too..although I suck and kept falling off the ledges. However gameplay isn't the only thing that makes bastion stands out. The beautiful art, the dynamic narration, the way the story is told(multiple endings too), some truly emotive scenes and the beautiful beautiful tracks all come together to create a great game.

It is priced pretty low too at $5? It is quite a big middle finger to all 'premium' indie appstore developers who are complaining about apps being priced too low."Look..here is a port of a multiple awards winning game on multiple platforms being offered lower than your premium ios games"

3. liquidthunder

liquidthunder Active Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Man doesn't anyone have a NZ account so they can tell us how it plays?!

4. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #24 Ayjona, Aug 29, 2012
    Oh. No. After a year or more of dreaming of playing this on the iPhone, I should have known the developers would pull an "can only work on a larger screen".

This and TWEWY on the same week... This is the week the iPad became a RPG gaming giant, and many of you fellas became utterly broke ;)

5. Robotwars

Robotwars Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Bandwagon? Bastion? Now I've heard it all. This game was beloved by a large majority.

6. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Hmm, I guess it was just because when I got it for Steam it was hyped and praised as the second coming of Mario (obviously the gameplay is different but in regards to quality/influence). And I just simply couldn't get it, just like I couldn't get either version of Lostwinds. I don't know :L

7. swarmster

swarmster Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
  8. violentv

Nov 4, 2010
    This..worries me.

9. liquidthunder

Jun 8, 2009
    You would have preferred they release it letterboxed? How would you have handled the change in aspect ratio differently?

10. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    After rising the FAQ, instabuy for me. $5 is a very reasonable price for what sounds like an excellent port.

11. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Wonder if it's retina for the new iPad.

12. violentv

Nov 4, 2010
    Actually yes. lol. Played it windowed with wide screen res (with black bars) on my PC. The 4:3 aspect ratio offends me for some reason.

13. Cg2005

Cg2005 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    DC
    Yes, it is. They also said that the download file is 530.9mb and the installed size will be around 1gb.

Another nice feature is that they give the option for touch movement (like Horn and Orc) but also provide the option to switch to a virtual joystick.

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I believe it is.

15. ghen73

ghen73 Active Member

Apr 28, 2010
    #35 ghen73, Aug 29, 2012
    So torn on this...not for the price, but for not having played it in its original format first; may have to double dip...I'd just hate for awkward controls (speculating on past "re-imaginings" of beloved games) to ruin it. Just my genre too. Hmm...Steam this afternoon, iPad tonight?? Not sure...would love to hear how it plays before deciding, in particular from someone who played the original. I've read in other forums that the PC/Xbox versions have button combinations that can get tricky, and they had difficulty imagining how that might work on a touch screen without dumbing down the experience. Anyone else that's played it feel the same?

16. liquidthunder

Jun 8, 2009
    Well we're all super happy that you didn't get to make this decision then, because most of us don't want a game that only uses 66% of the pixels on our display.

*sigh*

17. violentv

Nov 4, 2010
    #37 violentv, Aug 29, 2012
    Thank you for your condescending reply and for answering for the rest of the playerbase..and it is 75% btw. I would appreciate it if you could understand that some of us don't like having the original resolution/graphics cropped.
    *sigh*

18. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    I definitely have to recommend this game to everyone. I like most of everyone else have it for pc and XBLA. I enjoyed the game very much with the narration and variety of weapons you can use to switch your style up. It has beautiful water color type graphics. The game has a couple challenges for new items and a new game + mode. Also I loved the music on it. Great game might be slow for some but you have nothing to lose at $5 simply amazing.

19. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    OH HELL YEAH:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:,I thought today was gonna slow

20. KillingCartoon

KillingCartoon Active Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm surprised there aren't any first impression videos in here yet. Im curious as to how the controls feel, and ive the game looks the same as on PC