Universal Bastion (by Supergiant Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Agas, Aug 29, 2012.

1. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks a lot!
    Hope it shows up soon

2. Pal Van Marrsterhausen

Pal Van Marrsterhausen Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Make sure to use headphones as the intro says! :)

3. riChchestMat

riChchestMat Well-Known Member

#143 riChchestMat, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
    Has anyone worked out the saving yet? There's a save menu but it seems non functional and I can't see a way to load alternative save games either.

On an iPad 2 the graphics are blurry compared to PC but the gameplay is fine. The tap controls are weird, especially with ranged weapons but the virtual controls are just fine. I didn't have any issues with falling off the sides even in the dash at the end of level 1 (after grabbing the first core). I played with mouse and keyboard on the PC anyway.

For those that didn't know this also has the infinite lives option that the PC did so you can enjoy the story and atmosphere even if you aren't a great player. This offsets any potential control issues.

Memo to self: stop saying 'fine'

4. petcar

petcar Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Norway
    Not available in Norway:(

5. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Not available in my local AppStore. I hate Warner Bros releases.

6. FluffyLogic

FluffyLogic Member

I still need to finish this on PC! Along with a thousand other games :rolleyes:

7. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Wow... Never played a game this much besides.. Well no other. Love this game, so intriguing.

8. NonSoft

NonSoft Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    I'd been hoping that this game would come to iPad, and it was definitely worth the wait. I played the original on xbl and so far this version is just as good.

The Classic controls(not sure why they defaulted to touch controls) are spot on, even for the proving grounds which tend to require a bit of finesse and quick movements.

Anyway, if you are on the fence about this one, stop hesitating and buy it now. :)

9. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Haven't had a game pull me in like this since Swordigo. Excellent port, top notch everywhere.

-scampers off to continue playing-

10. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    I have never played Bastion before, so why should I get this for my shiny new ipad?? could you also give a realistic score out of 10

Thanks Gary

11. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Because it is probably one of the best indie games ever released, from gameplay to hand drawn graphics which look incredible on the new iPad to award winning music and a cool narrator. Bottom line: worth $5.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Theres 16 pages of feedback in this thread saying why you should get the game!

I've bought it, it looks stunning on the latest ipad, had a quick go and its very addictive and something quite different. Looks amazing, but check out the other pages on this thread

13. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Haha, you sound like me! I had vanilla GOF2 but for .99ยข I had to double down on that game... It for the most part seems worth it too if you have a iPad 3! Then again I guess I am doubling down on TWEWY and Bastion too since i previously owned those on too! So yep, bought, downloaded and now full too! I see it as an opportunity to clear off what has been sitting on my iPad and not played between games I know I will play! Sometimes (especially with a 64GB) it is easy to fall into that rut of downloading and keeping a game just because you have the space, even when you never touch it.

Now to make sure I have space for Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition come September 18th! Gotta love being an iPad owner!

14. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    #154 pka4916, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
    I would leave your "shiny new ipad" in the box, so you don't need to worry about it...

This is the lamest comment I've seen so far.... How about looking through the thread.. 16 pages of comments.

15. Sezzar

Sezzar Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012

LOL, i was thinking likewise, keep it shiny n unmolested, dun let the reviews convince u so:D

16. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    WOW. This has got to be my new favorite Action RPG for the iOS... Finally a game that beats out CrimsonHeart (I knew it would happen... eventually)!!! I've only played for about 30 minutes so far, but damnit I'm in love. LOVE LOVE LOVE. =oD

17. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Sounds promissing.. Did not have time to look at it..
    I just smash the buy button , based on the screens I saw.

18. riChchestMat

riChchestMat Well-Known Member

Is it me or are the weapons different? No charge attack for the hammer and you can't throw the machete. I whored the machete on the PC because it covered close range and ranged attacks with the optional bleed. Now I have to carry the bow as well.

19. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    It's been awhile since I played it on the Xbox 360 and have short memory, but didn't you have to upgrade the weapon first? I don't remember.

I just started playing, maybe 8 minutes in and the only issue I have so far is that I wish I could move the buttons around. The switch weapon button would have been more convenient if it was in the upper left corner of the other action buttons instead of farther upright in the classic controls.

20. caltab

caltab Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Is anybody playing with the default controls. I really didn't like them. I feel like classic should have been the default.