Universal Bastion (by Supergiant Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Agas, Aug 29, 2012.

1. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    well take crysis
    it doenst run on a gamecube

the 4. gen maybe isnt strong enough for the game
    or they just need more time to make it playable

2. MalikNL

MalikNL Active Member

Jun 30, 2012
    To the people saying the reason iphone 4 can't handle bastion are talking out of their stupid ass.

Apple forced the developer/publisher of bastion to release it on the newer devices to boost sales because you can run this game on an iphone 4 with the proper files and it works great, no lag or anything. You need a jailbroken device.

3. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    they were built to run on it
    fifa 13 aint a benchmark rather mc3
    bastion has a envolving enviroment and also a speaker and a few other things
    it was built for xbox and pc later for ipad and now for the latest devices it may be able to run on 4.th gen in an update but on it´s current the requirements dont seem to meet

4. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    So why don't you just email the dev and ask them? They can give you a definitive answer. But sounds like it may run on an (jailbroken) iPod 4, according to Mr. Hostile's recent post. Could be that it runs just fine, but they didn't have time to test on older devices resulting in them disabling the game as to avoid potential crashes, etc.

5. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Could all iPod 4 owners get their own forums completely separated from the rest? That would be awesome...

6. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Psp is dedicated to gaming. Apples and oranges and all that. The touch models generally have less memory, and sometimes a weaker processor, than the equivalent iPhone model. It is what it is.

The psp...totally different hardware...different ios...you can't compare mp3 players to portable game systems. Same with consoles; if you look at the specs only, especially the numbers, you would thibk they shouldn't br able to run what they can. But the architecture os totally different.

7. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I'm lazy. So, if someone could do me a favor; answer this for me: If a game like Torchlight was on the left side of a line, and, say, Zelda: link to the Past was on the right side, where would you place this game? I'm not comparing this game to either in DETAIL, just, which style is it tilted more towards?

8. Phoenix24

Phoenix24 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 7, 2012
    Lancashire, England
    Hahaha. Yep iPod 4 & IAP phobes deserve their own site.

Seriously guys get over yourselves, as most devs won't spend loads of time and money to support devices that are not designed for graphically intensive games. The number of iPod 4 owners spending $5 on games is probably low, compared to iPad and iPhone owners.

Apple aren't stupid and their latest iPod seems to be actually a better deal than the iPhone 5. Time to trade up or better still, letter to Santa ;)

9. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    #469 Darth Nihilus, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
    Well disregarding your insults which are really not necessary here my keyboard warrior friend.

I agree with you, it's illogical that a game that demands so little graphically is not supported for the Ipod 4, I mean, 2D isometric game with lots of FX yes, but they're still 2D FX that run in a couple bytes at most, should be supported for the iPod 4 considering games like Final Fantasy run great on the iPod 4 and it's 3D with LOTS more FX.

Same thing happened with SG: Deadzone, It baffles me that it's not compatible for iPod4 since it looks the same than Shadowgun and a little less impressive than Dead trigger, which both run silky smooth.

I have a jailbroken device, out of curiosity, how can I run Bastion on my iPod 4? is there anything I can download after buying the game to make it run on my device? but please, if it includes piracy don't tell me, I don't want to get banned.

10. Darth Nihilus

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    I would agree, if that was true, which is not.

MC4 is coming out for iPod 4 too, which is basically the graphic standard lately, if the iPod 4 is capable of handling that, is capable of handling anything below it, it's axiomatic.

11. Phoenix24

Phoenix24 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 7, 2012
    Lancashire, England
    Aplogies for any ignorance shown, but logically my view of iPods is that they lag behind iPads and iPhones both hardware and softwarewise. My wife has an iPod 3G and it's basically a music player that can play AB and the like.

Most smaller developers seem to cater for current iPhone first then iPad, then non current iPods, whilst the iPod 4 is now quite old, like my old 3GS.

Most iPhone owners change their phone at least every 2 years, and it seems that Apple expect iPod and iPad owners to do the same, if they are serious gamers.

I agree with you that it is inconsistent that some big games are made for older devices, but these tend to be huge developers who are big players in the iOS gaming market, where smaller devs don't have the resource or inclination to cater for the smaller element of the market on older kit.

I haven't bought this yet, as my wife has the iPad, and me the 4s, and still unsure how this will look on the small screen.

Any vid impressions would be great.

12. Darth Nihilus

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    #472 Darth Nihilus, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
    1. Gta 3 on the iPod runs at twice or 3x the resolution compared to the Psp.
    2. The textures on the iPod GTA3 are not scaled down, in the psp they're awful, plus there is texture flickering.
    3. the draw distance on the GTA3 for iOS it's at max I would assume, and in the psp you can barely see past 1 or 2 blocks.

explained.

Source: I have a psp 2001 and I have that game, and many others, still play MGS Peace Walker, occasionally best PSP game.

13. Darth Nihilus

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    Lol no problem, but yeah I remember when the iPod/iPhone 3 stopped being supported, it was called for and most developers stretched their support for their games in such platforms until the last minute.

But now it's happening sooner in my opinion, the iPod 4 is being cut off while it still has a lot of potential to run most of the games that are coming out lately.

14. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Any 4S impressions ? Specifically how it fits to small screen + performance?

15. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Still not yet out on the PH Appstore... #

16. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Okay I'm back after a couple guys told me to take the plunge and....................

It's amazing. I admit it has similarities to KRPGs on the ios but is not really even comparable. It's so amazingly well made, plays well on the ipod, and it's visually beautiful. I'm really enjoying myself.

I do hope this game last a long time. Can anyone give me a quick idea of how long one play through takes? Thanks a lot!

17. miumius

miumius Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    It sure is small but it's fantastic. My suggestion is use classic controls if you don't want to be falling all over the place. The graphics look great :)

18. miumius

miumius Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    It really depends. A speed run can go 4-8 hours but on PC it took me 12-13 hours (but I'm crazy and suck at gaming). On iPhone I would guess a little longer since its a more difficult (controls) and sporadic since I doubt you'll be playing straight on the phone.

19. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    Color me impressed, Nihilus.

Another reason: the PSP reads from the UMD, and caches very little data in the game on the onboard memory. The rest comes straight from the disc. On the iOS, it's already on your device, so everything is cached to the RAM.

FYI, RAM stands for "random access memory". In short, it's what all electronic devices use to store necessary data to run software, be it your web browser or Crysis: Warhead.

20. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Okay thanks. Thanks not too bad and you can start a new game plus it looks like so it should keep me occupied while I wait for my TWEWY Pins to evolve from shutdown ;)

And yeah I actually understand about the IPT4 frustrations as I constantly was having trouble getting compatible games recently for it. But I had been waiting for a new ipod for so long that I didn't even hesitate to get the IPT5 (which as many have stated has incredible improvements that make the IP5 improvements seem not so stellar). And I mainly wanted to get rid of that crap camera they put into an IP4 that takes worse photos than my 4 year old cheap cell phone. Anyhow, there's not much you can do here. TWEWY was one hot game on my wish list and I was really devastated when it wouldn't run on the IPT4. Now that I can play it, I see that I was really missing out. There's many reasons why it may or may not run but unfortunately you may just have to upgrade. There does come a point where each device will be obsolete =l