Universal Bastion (by Supergiant Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Agas, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Rusothil

Rusothil Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

I've played it for about 20 minutes today on my 4s (can't play any longer because I have two midterms tomorrow), and gotta say the small screen didn't matter to me. My fingers are mostly off the screen using the joystick movement, and I occasionally will touch the right hand of the screen to shoot, but my fingers aren't getting in the way of the colorful backgrounds or enemies.

2. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    It plays well. Get it. Trust me.

3. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks guys! This game is now bought :) I am so freakin excited for this!

4. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    This has to be one of the most ignorant posts on the forums in a very long time, and that's not an easy achievement.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Totally agree, utterly stupid statement from that person !

Bastion is a brilliant game, i'm glad its universal, shame it wont work on my iphone/ipod touch, was tempted before to get a new ipod touch and this might seal the deal.

I dont buy many ipad only games but Bastion is briliant.

6. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Hey now, He WAS asking a question, not making a statement.

I think we should look at this as an opportunity to show him just how excellent and NON Krpg this game really is, rather than ridiculing him, even if it is clear he didn't really research anything about the game.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    But if he had gone to the first page, watched the video it would have given him an idea of how this game is.

I'm no fan of KRPG's but i remember seeing the trailer for the ipad and had to buy the game instantly after that.

To be fair i've missed the odd detail on the first page of some game threads but i normally always watch the video which gives you a great impression of what the game is like.

8. andsoitgoes

You WILL NOT regret it. Moving from the 4 has been mind blowing. I really don't see how it can go from here. Anything higher than this on this platform is almost pointless!

I don't think I'll feel the draw to upgrade for at least a few years.

9. andsoitgoes

But he's not bashing the game. The way you and sapphire were presenting it was like he did, that's the issue. Unless the reason is trying to back KRPGs because I have yet to find one that isn't mediocre at best.

10. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Given that this is the same person who posted this,
    ...and he has admitted to owning Torchlight 1 and 2 (which makes me wonder how he could not know about Bastion) I'll stand by my statement.

11. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    game plays nice and smooth in the iPhone 5, am using tap controls. a zoom feature would've been helpful, but the absence of it is not a deal breaker imho

12. Tinkerboy

Tinkerboy Active Member

Nov 12, 2012
    CEO of Tinker Games
    Bandung
    A MUST HAVE! People! Try it! XD

13. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Will Bastion ever be available in Asia?

14. jamsie07

jamsie07 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2012
    So universally everyone agrees this plays well on the iphone 5 in regards to the screen size?

Still scared to take the plunge but really want to! Any chance of someone putting up video on it running on the 5? =]

15. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    Yes zoom would be nice. I find myself thinking: if I had not played this already on the Xbox, I wouldn't really be able to tell what I am picking up. But, as you said it's definitely not a deal breaker.
    This is one of my favorite games in the past ten years or so. You should get this one!

16. jamsie07

jamsie07 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2012
    I asked em over twitter about adding a zoom function

@SupergiantGames any chance of you adding a zoom function for iphone? The people of the toucharcade forums agree that would be great

Their reply:
    It's something we considered and felt would create many new problems so we don't have plans for it at this time.

17. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Lazy? Do you have any idea what it takes to make a game in the first place?! And the fact that they made Bastion Universal (after stating that they probably wouldn't support iPhone) is far from being lazy.

18. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Maybe the older devices can't handle Bastion. If they could have the older devices supported, then they probably would have.

19. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    You've pretty much done the same thing as call Gearbox lazy because your OG XBOX won't run Borderlands 2...

and you've already answered your own question...

No support for older devices because... they're old

face it... we're lucky we get any new games to run on our 4th gen iPods.

20. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Who's to say they aren't working right now on optimizing to support older devices? And if they aren't, then there could be many reasons for it: not enough resources, time, money, or maybe it just doesn't make sense for them from an economical standpoint.