Basketball Stars by Miniclip

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Benjo, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    Thanks for the extra ideas, Obi - I've passed those on to the dev team too.

Also, I'm very pleased to say that Basketball Stars is now available worldwide :D Check it out and let us know what you think!

2. Binaryman

Binaryman New Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Lucky balls

Gotta agree, played a game where a guy got 6 and I got none

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Think I'm gonna hold off on this at least for now. I'm always leery when I see a game by 'Minirip' because they're always forcing you and prodding you to buy this, buy that, mini transactions, etc. They're SO money-hungry, it's not even funny! # They find the strangest ways to separate you from your wallet. Some of their games are real good, but (IMO) ruined by their constant over-the-top greed! So, with that being said, I'm gonna wait and see. Maybe they'll shock me out of my mind by breaking the mold this time, but I doubt it. #

4. obiray

obiray Member

Mar 13, 2016
    i can add that i havent really seen any money hungry business. i dont play miniclip games though. the only thing ive seen in this game is where you have to pay for spins. but its all cosmetic crap and i just play without it. but the game is new. who knows what they might do next.

5. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Holding off to see how it goes.........l

6. obiray

obiray Member

Mar 13, 2016
    actually hold off until they remove these 'lucky balls' its just a bunch of bull crap to take skill away from a game. the amount of times ive lost in the last hour. i play near perfect games while the opponent is average and im still losing.

then you play the high end games ($500,000 matches) and we are so close but one of us gets a ####ing lucky ball.

if you havent played before - the 'lucky ball' is a random 2x points that a player will get. It doesnt try to balance them or anything. just random.

7. LuckyBallsIsCancer

LuckyBallsIsCancer New Member

Mar 21, 2016
    This game gave me all kinds of cancer.

I just made this account just to say this.
    I got cancer from this app due to 2 major things that should be fixed.

1. The lag. I am connected to a 5ghz network with 60/Mbps while sitting beside the router and still lag which always ends up in a loss. Y'all need to fix this. It is ridiculous how laggy it gets, I am always getting the poor connection icon in the bottom even when I'm on my LTE. FIX IT!!!

2. The lucky balls. The lag was terrible and it ruined the game but I never deleted the app because of it. Lucky balls on the other hand made me delete the app multiple times and redownlading it hoping that it would not happen to me again. There are multiple games where I'm either in favour of lucky balls or my opponent is. I have played the $80k game 4 times and all four times, my opponent was in favour of lucky balls. My opponent would receive 4-5 lucky balls while I would receive 0-1 and sometimes the other way around. I believe in fairness and equality and I think you guys should fix this so it would distribute lucky balls equally or just remove this feature. If you can only fix one, please fix lucky balls or just remove it. I can live with the lag.

Ps I didn't actually get cancer.

8. obiray

obiray Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Hmm maybe your lag is because of where their servers are located. I'm from Australia and USUALLY I don't lag. My home internet downloads at 4/mbs.

Good to see Someone agrees about lucky balls. Even lucky balls being distributed equally won't help unless they are given at the exact same time as some players would get their lucky balls while on fire and get 2x.

They need to rework it completely. Create something else that isn't luck and will stop draws from happening.

Maybe in an event of a draw/tied game, make the shots harder to get perfect and you'll have to stop it right on the line

9. Rizosarmy

Rizosarmy New Member

Mar 22, 2016
    I agree the lucky balls is a pain in the bollox sick of loosing money cause of them i've given up playing until the remove them from the APP.

10. Firepants

Firepants New Member

Mar 22, 2016
    Crashing

I've recently downloaded this on my iPhone, I keep losing massive amounts of money due to the connection dropping mid game and my player keeps resetting his clothes / look...very frustrating!

11. LuckyBallsIsCancer

LuckyBallsIsCancer New Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Yup, it's official. This will be last time I will delete the app. Absolutely horse s***. It's like app knows that I'm playing the $80k game and says "f*** it, lets give his opponent all the lucky balls and none for him". Please rename the app to "Basketball Luck", because you can't be a star with the lucky balls in the way. No joke 80% of the games I play are luck based between me and the opponent and 20% are skill because there are no lucky balls or they are all distributed equally. I'm gonna go hibernate, wake me up once they removed lucky balls or at least rename the app to "Basketball Luck". Peace###########lmao.

12. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    Hey everyone, just dropping a quick reply to say that we've been reading all your feedback and taking it on board while we look at what's next for the game. Thank you so much for sharing it.

13. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yeah, that comment about cancer isn't funny at all. (Hope you're not jinxing yourself) Tell you what, that's nothing to even joke about.........

14. Lordymatsuo

Lordymatsuo New Member

Mar 30, 2016
    I just registered to point out the issue with the lucky ball is game breaking.

Either remove it or make it so both players get the lucky ball at the same time and its up to the player to take an extra second or 2 to focus on that ball because its worth more points.

I play your pool and bowling games and happily buy occasional IAP but i wont spend a single penny on this game until lucky ball is made fair.

Imagine buying IAP cash say £7.99 worth and losing it in 1 high stakes game because your opponent got 3 lucky balls and you got 1.

Please remove it or make it so both players get it at same time. Personally just remove it because even same time wont be fair if opponent has fire ball as well making lucky ball worth 12 and you don't have fire ball at that exact right time so yours is only worth 6.

Honestly it adds nothing to the games. The bonus backboard points are fun because its available to both players and is slightly higher risk to shoot off the backboard so players can choose to try for it or not.

15. obiray

obiray Member

Mar 13, 2016
    heres a link to 2 videos of games ive played.

the first game is to show how near the end of the game you can use your skill of backboard shots to make a comeback and win, or in an even situation it will show how the better player will win and not luck. (i know i got 1 extra lucky ball at the start of the game but aside from that, the example is still viable if someone was in the same situation as me without the lucky ball)

the second game is to show how a nice even game can be F***ed by lucky balls and theres no point in playing, trying to compete or taking the game seriously.

i used Cristos in my examples because hes the most well known guy. always at the top each week etc. so the examples can be used for high end players.

https://youtu.be/7_WbiP0x7Gc

16. Benjo

Benjo Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    Community Manager
    London
    Hi everyone - we've been overwhelmed by how much everyone has been enjoying Basketball Stars up to this point, but we have also been hearing your feedback on the Lucky Balls. Because you have a random chance of getting a Lucky Ball, this does mean that - on occasion - you might get a match where you end up with 3-4 Lucky Balls, and your opponent only gets 1, or vice versa.

With our update, we're making a significant rebalancing to this. Lucky Balls will still be random, but the amount that you and your opponent receive will now never differ by more than 1. This should make for a much more balanced game, and place more emphasis on being able to make those Backboard Bonus shots to boost your score.

One other change with Lucky Balls that you should know about: in Attacker-Defender mode, you'll be able to steal your opponent's Lucky Ball. Successfully pull off a steal or a block when the attacker has one in their hands, and you'll take over on attack with a Lucky Ball of your own.

A big thank you to everyone here for your feedback on this - we hope this change makes a difference to your enjoyment of the game.

17. obiray

obiray Member

Mar 13, 2016

sounds like good progress Benjo!

any reason why they just didnt remove the lucky ball? i mean its based on luck in a game that im hoping to be based on skill. I feel we gave good alternative to replace them and i understand at the same time it sucks to completely remove a game mechanic as opposed to rework it in a different way. but you will still have the problem of 1 person getting their lucky ball while on fire and the other person not.

and id also like to ask... if there is a game being played and player 1 doesnt miss a shot but player 2 misses 2-3 shots. do you actually believe its fair or any good for player 2 to win?

ok that might seem a bit rhetorical... maybe im taking this game made for kids a bit too serious and i should go play league of legends or something. can you let me know so i can move on.

anyways congrats on the player base. i saw guest number 15,000,000 in a game. im sure you have even more that i havent seen.

18. a59

a59 Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Hey everyone, i registered just to comment on this topic.

The "Lucky ball" system should be removed all together since as already been pointed it gives unfair advantage to your opponent, even if it's me getting the advantage sometimes it's still an unfair win.

Right now even if i have progressed in this game i'm gonna remove it until the lucky ball is unloaded from the app. It's frustrating when you're placing perfect shots the entire round and your opponent gets a lucky ball in his last shot then beat you. This approach is unfair, and i hope the developers rethink it as soon as possible. If the lucky ball is here to stay then both players should get the exact amount of them say 3 and have the option to tap to activate each during the game when it's necessary to lift the score up because scoring a 6 points lucky ball for me is nearly useless when my opponent scores his 12 points lucky ball when he is on fire, that's why the current system of lucky ball distribution is faulty to say the least.

19. obiray

obiray Member

Mar 13, 2016
    #39 obiray, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    ok Benjo, can you pass this onto the devs?

how about this... if you want to keep your lucky balls make the points for a lucky ball +3 no matter what. if youre on fire then they get points for the shot(+6 for perfect, +4 for normal) PLUS 3 points for the lucky ball (not +6).

so even though its a +3 bonus, it does not get doubled when on fire. its always just +3

if they hit a backboard shot with a lucky ball then they get the backboard points, and +3 for the lucky ball.

so change lucky ball to a +3 bonus instead of a 2x bonus. not to get confused with a backboard shot that gives the amount it says. lucky balls will actually add +3 to your points.

this will create balance and you dont have to remove your precious lucky balls.

20. a59

a59 Member

Apr 13, 2016
    I don't understand their obsession with the blue ball unless they want to sabotage the gaming experience on purpose. No self respecting multiplayer game gives random advantage to the opponent to lead the score, it's insane that they insist to keep it despite various complaints, even after the update and claiming it's not "slightly more fair" it isn't for one simple reason, if it's given to you when in regular mode and to your opponent while on fire mode that's 6 points difference and sometimes your opponents gets 2 while you get none. They should get this sorted.