iPad Baseball Superstars

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Carlos-Sz, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    #1 Carlos-Sz, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2009
    Baseball Superstars is out.

[​IMG]

[hqyoutube]f8z2Vmpy9PU[/hqyoutube]

$4.99

I may try this... :)

Quick review:

In the game description we read Baseball Superstars 2009. But don't let the game title foolish you. It's not a modern game.

The worst part of it is the poor port feeling. It's clearly not a game designed for iPhone. Not even graphics or sounds are up to iPhone hardware. The menu music can be described as torture. I may say subpar production.

However, if you really, really enjoy baseball you may find some fun here. It has 5 game modes so it seems to have a lot of things to do.

My final words (take in consideration that I just like to watch Baseball, I don't even play it) it does not worth the price.

2/5 (Caution!!) :D

2. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Looks ok but... 5 bucks
    I think ill pass

3. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Any better than cell phone version?

Here is the 2007 cell phone version. Seems to be an iphone adaptation of the Korean title

4. dbl_dose

dbl_dose Active Member

Dec 19, 2008
    This game looks pretty fun.
    I'm gonna try this out.
    I remember playing an old version of this game on my previous phone.
    THis game is definitly worth the money. that's fo sho

5. STP_Steve

STP_Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Editor of slidetoplay.com
    San Francisco, CA
  6. jborislow

jborislow Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    #6 jborislow, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
    This looks similar to Bad News Baseball for the NES... that was a great game...

Well I just bought it... My last purchase before Christmas...

7. field5

field5 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    did anyone play this yet? how is it?

8. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    Thanks Steve. I've added a video in the initial post as well as a quick review.

9. field5

field5 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    #9 field5, Dec 19, 2008
    damn I really wanted a good baseball game....but I was a little confused by your last comment..."My final words (take in consideration that I just like Baseball, I don't even play it)" did you mean to add the words "to watch" between "like" and "Baseball"??
    anyways thanks for your review!

10. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    Yes. I'll edit my review to add the word "watch".

11. IFeelLikeANerd

IFeelLikeANerd Active Member

Dec 18, 2008
    So, if i were looking for a good sports game should i pass on this and get real soccer 09, or wait for an upcoming sports game. I heard that Tiger Woods 09 is coming out soon, is this true?

12. field5

field5 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    would u mind listing the 5 different game modes?

13. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    I don't know nothing about TW. Maybe CraigLaw could give us a light here...

All I can say is that RS is a great game.

Normal
    My League
    Season Mode
    Homerun Mode
    Mission Mode

14. field5

field5 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    thanks....im trying to hold back but......must.....have.....baseball......don't......want......crap.....what.....to......do???

15. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    I didn't like it but I never thought that I should have a Baseball game in my iPhone.

However, $4.99 is not that expensive. What do you buy with this amount?

Take a look at the video, it may help you decide.

16. field5

field5 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    I buy half of Rolando :D

17. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Tiger Woods: December 31. 2008

Real Soccer is a great game, and I don't even follow soccer.

18. Raptor25

Raptor25 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    #18 Raptor25, Dec 19, 2008
    I played it for over a hour.

First, the negatives:
    - Graphics are bad, GBA like.
    - Obviously it doesnt have any licenses
    - Port-ness, the menus arnt even touch you have to use the d-pad. The only thing so far you use the touch pad for is if you want you can tap a baserunner to have him advance.
    - No online use that I can see or any advanced kind of features.

But, theres some good.
    + Very fast action. Several cellphone/gba style baseball games ive played have always run slow and taken too long between pitches and such. This is lightning fast, and since it obviously has no realism it doesnt feel out of place to be so.
    + While not realistic in the slightest, its still a pretty fun game of baseball.
    + A nice set of modes. Of course it has a regular quick play full game, but In season mode you only play as your batter (or pitcher) so it skips everything else just posting scores, so you can play a "game" in a couple minutes and just get stats for winning and hitting well and watch the standings as you do so. The coach says something after each game. Every 5 or so games you can choose something to upgrade or do and after each season you get some money to buy stuff. Theres a homerun derby mode thats pretty fun, and a mission mode where you get points to buy stuff by completing an objective (3 hits, strikeout X people, etc.).
    + So far I havnt unlocked any (you have to do well in season mode) but I like the aspect of having special characters the appear with unique pitches and graphics and such.

I think it should be more like 2.99 and still really want a nice mlb licensed game with current graphics, but as the only baseball offering on the iphone I don't regret purchasing it (thought I might), its fun and has quite a bit to do and unlock.

And man, starting a season mode with bad stats... I played ~40 "games"(just me batting) and am hitting about .190. Though after playing a bunch of homerun derby I think im finally getting the timing down.

So uh yeah.. i wish it was a litlte cheaper, but its fun.

Note: Im a die hard baseball fan who watches almost every local game and has thousands of posts on multiple baseball message boards.

19. field5

field5 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    thanks for the info...I'm starting to cave...maybe I'll wait till christmas and if it doesn't drop by the 26th then I'll buy it

20. D-Back

D-Back Member

Dec 19, 2008
    I am soooo on the fence right now on this one. I have wanted a baseball game for the iPhone since the app store opened its doors, but I just bought Sim City and am debating on Rolando. We need more impressions!