Universal Bardcard (by Kevin Mikles)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by anthony78, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Roxton

Roxton Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2015
    That feeling when your game-completing run gets ruined in the 11th hour by immediately matching two staircases upon entering the crucial junction.

Attached Files:

2. Roxton

Roxton Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2015
    Well, I think that’s it! See you in Chapter 2.
    I’m guessing the Solemn Avian has something for you if you have an Avian Blessing when meeting him, but that’s a difficult proposition.

Attached Files:

3. Moshfosh

Moshfosh Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2013
    I really can’t recommend this game enough especially for only $2. I had to stop playing for a little bit because I have a tendency to over grind in rpg games and after a certain limit for your familiar the game would just crash. The dev fixed that problem right away so everything is good.

If I had one complaint it would be for the dev to add a quick level feature. Even with Al my fancy relics, if you start the game on floor 16 at level 1, you are almost certainly going to die by the next floor if you aren’t lucky. It gets easier to keep starting from floor 1 every run but it’s a hassle.

4. Moshfosh

Moshfosh Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2013
    I felt very fancy being on the leaderboard but here you are the guy at #1. What are these ones please? Papa no has yet.

Attached Files:

5. Roxton

Roxton Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2015
    Puzzle piece:
    Portal from rightmost room on 13
    Brass Horse:
    From Solemn Avian room on 18, take the stairs instead of the door. (Sneaky!)
    Eyepatch:
    One of the three organ melodies. I forget which. There’s one on 12. The other two are mutually exclusive. If you take the doors on 17, you’ll get one. If you go down on 17, you’ll get the other.
    Vial:
    Portal from 22. Proceed to bat room.
    Spoon:
    When learning the escape ability, kill the troll instead of escaping. Get a key. From the bat room on 22, use stairs instead of door. On 23, use ornate door.

Please let me know if you find anything else!

6. RascalMagic

RascalMagic Member

Sep 8, 2022
    Male
    Game Developer
    Hey all! Bardcard developer here. Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks to everyone for trying our game out! And huge congrats to Roxton for maintaining #1 on the leaderboard. Crushing it.

We're in the process of collecting feedback and laying out a roadmap for the next major updates. The conversation within this thread has been very valuable -- thank you for your opinions and ideas. If you have any more, we are listening :)

If you are interested in our plans, check out our preliminary roadmap here: https://rascalmagic.com/roadmap/

We're always looking for beta testers to validate new large features. This can also be an opportunity to play a version of the game in regions where we have not released yet. If you are interested in testing development Bardcard builds, DM me your email address (we'll need it to send TestFlight invites) and I can get you on the list.

Thanks! We're excited to make Bardcard even better.

7. StratAll

StratAll Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Hey RascalMagic, good to see you here in the forums.
    Could you let us know why your game, which seems original and gets some good reviews here, is not available in several countries?
    Will you do a global release at some point?

(Edit : I read your roadmap meanwhile and I see you focus on translating for localization, rest assured that many gamers in Europe for instance prefer games in English and not a local version.)

8. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    Why are you ignoring people asking for an international release?! We wanna play your game.

9. RascalMagic

RascalMagic Member

Sep 8, 2022
    Male
    Game Developer
    Alrighty! We're convinced: Bardcard in its current non-localized state will be available in the following regions in the next 24-48 hours:
    • Austria
    • Belgium
    • Denmark
    • Germany
    • Netherlands
    • Norway
    • Sweden
    Releasing Bardcard has been a huge learning experience for us. We strive to develop quality work that follows best practices, but we're also a 2-person team working on this part time so our resources are quite limited. Since the game is fairly text-heavy, we figured it would be a poor experience for players who may not natively speak English, but we also have no prior experience releasing internationally and understanding how the global population plays and perceives games. We're happy to gain this experience :)

Localization is still on our roadmap but I think I now feel more comfortable releasing in regions that have a large English-speaking population while not necessarily being the first language. Let us know if there are more regions we should add! And, let us know if the regions I listed still don't show Bardcard as available after 48 hours.

Echoseven and Anotherkellydown like this.
  10. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    Add Japanese pls...

11. Rocco SE

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    Thank you soooooo much for flipping the switch! This is a gem! Love the original genre mix of memory and roguelite. Presentation and one-touch controls are great as well. Really happy with this game.

12. StratAll

StratAll Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Thank you, downloading now!

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Guys, just release this thing in the entire MENA region. I guarantee you no one is playing games in Arabic.

14. andreadeda

andreadeda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Well i'm italian and i never play games in italian if there is an english option; translation is never that great and i'm so used to english terms that the italian interface usually puts me off; i hate it when the game starts in italian and i can't change the language straight away.
    Anyway, that's my way of asking to please release it on the italian store as well....

15. RascalMagic

RascalMagic Member

Sep 8, 2022
    Male
    Game Developer
    Thank you all for the international insights -- very interesting to hear a preference for English even when translations are available. (Granted, my understanding is that most translations are terrible. Kind of sad and something I'd love to do right for Bardcard one day, although the point about learning and expecting English terms is super interesting.)

Anyways, I just enabled Japan, Italy, and some MENA (more of this region to come soon). Should be available in 24-48 hours.

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  16. andreadeda

andreadeda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Thank you; just bought it from the italian store.

17. Hulkino

Hulkino Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Just made the same!!

18. Rocco SE

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    I absolutely love this game. Only minor gripe - and already mentioned in here: starting from a checkpoint makes no sense at the moment, you‘re simply to weak then. So, it means starting from scratch is a must (and feels a little annoying knowing there are checkpoints). Otherwise easily a fav of 2022.

19. AltsKev

AltsKev Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    i hope a french store release :p

20. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Hey, why not a worldwide release?
    Marketing wise if you look from AAA big publishers games to indie gems, they have 6-8 languages for the bigger markets worldwide and to all others, English are more than enough. As I live in a country with a difficult language from the thousands of games i have bought from AppStore's day one, is a matter to have found my native language in more than 5-6 games... and that's more than alright for me.

solarnya likes this.