Universal Bardbarian - (by Bulkypix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Glad there is a good temporary fix :D

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Yo Devs, any idea when that endless mode is coming? :D

3. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Yep, you've found the bug. At the end of each wave, if I'm logged in to gamecenter, nothing happens, if I hit quit or reset the game locks up. But, at the end of each wave when the next wave dosent respawn if I log out of gamecenter before hitting quit or reset, the game goes to the menu's or resets as requested.

Tested on all four stage choices, same problem with gamecenter and same work around of logging out of gamecenter before wave ends to progress.

Fustrating though, I'm really fond of my achievements heh.

4. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Just posted my 5 star rating on the App Store, having no problems on a Retina Mini and loving the game. Bought the doubler after playing about 15 min or so, and it's been very effective at a very fair price; it seems I'm constantly upgrading something.

The game itself reminds me a lot of Nimblequest with a tower defense spin to it. But Bardbarian is a much more enjoyable game with more depth, as well as being unmistakably premium in design. (Especially when buying the doubler) The art and music also deserve special mention, they really push this game over the top.

5. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    They said soon... I hope soon means next week for them :D

6. esdotdev

esdotdev Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    We're going to see if we can get it into the next version which we'll try to get expedited. So maybe early next week if we're lucky. But it may not make the cut, it's lowest priority behind all the bugs and tweaks we want to make based on initial feedback.

Thanks a lot guys for confirming the fix, and big shoutout to "Jrec15" for testing the app, and send me the error dump which solved the mystery.

I may actually be able to sleep tonight after all :D

7. esdotdev

Nov 24, 2011
    We get that a lot, but we started before Nimble Quest had even been announced.

We're actually inspired by a fantastic flash game called SnakeSquad:
    http://armorgames.com/play/13945/snake-squad

8. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    I hated nimble quest soooo much! Simply because it could have been a really fun game but they destroyed it with the most grind heavy progression with the aim to strangle pennies out of your weary grinded out souls!

Bardbarian for me is absolute perfection balance wise and I really hope you guys do well from it! I will lose faith in humanity if great games like this get phased out for turd grinders like nimble Q!

9. bardbarian

bardbarian Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has purchased, played and supported Bardbarian. You guys are so damn awesome and I can't express how grateful I am for your guys comments, suggestions and feedback. I'm really excited to have something to show for the last year of my life, i'm sure shawn will agree to this.

Game design to this scope and magnitude has been such a learning process and eye-opening experience, though this is the most hectic my life has ever been, worked more than I have ever worked before, and sacrificed a lot of personal time and even put personal relationships in jeopardy on more than one occasion, I can honestly say it never felt like work, I genuinely love making games and I hope that Bardbarian can be successful enough that myself and Shawn can continue to do this. Seriously thanks again for jumping into the little world we created.

PS. I do livestreams of game related artwork when I'm drawing, if you'd ever like to tune in, I post primarily on twitter, so stay in touch!

10. Jake7905

Jun 20, 2013
    Completely agree, NQ was a good idea gone freemium. Bardbarian feels like it has an actual purpose when playing besides grinding. Actually the 'grind' in Bardbarian reminds me of the 'grind' in Ridiculous Fishing. Which means that you're constantly unlocking and upgrading stuff, with no waiting and no paywall.

11. Jake7905

Jun 20, 2013
    Niblequest was an obvious point of reference for me, but this game stands on it's own, and to be fair, is much different then NQ.

12. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    This game is very good, I have hundred of apps and this is definitely top tier in terms of fun !

13. esdotdev

Nov 24, 2011
    #153 esdotdev, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    You wouldn't believe how much pressure there is these days to implement F2P mechanics. Many publishers wouldn't even consider our title because it wasn't.

We don't really believe in it, and are trying to prove that people will still pay for great games. You guys have re-affirmed this 100x over, which is just awesome to hear. Some F2P games are great, but they're very few and far between.

14. bardbarian

bardbarian Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I can recall many conversations where shawn said, IAP IS LAST we do not build a game around paid mechanics, we want a solid core experience and IF the user wants to speed up their progress they can, no dwarfing gameplay. (unless you use dwarf in your loadout)

15. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Such a refreshing attitude from these devs. Not only is the game a total blast, but also purchased the doubler.
    I was a little hesitant that the doubler would break the game and be able to upgrade everything too fast but it's totally made the game even more enjoyable. No grinding feeling at all, yet constantly feel like I'm making progress to unlock everything.
    This is truly a perfect balance of "grinding" fun, not a "grinding" chore/bore. :)
    A fantastic and fun game and completely recommend it.

16. Zaraf

Zaraf Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    So quick question on this, what exactly do you need a publisher for? You developed the game, and then release it on the appstore. Where does the publisher fit in? Is it just so that you can fit on the BulkyPix bandwagon instead of being a "no name" entry?

In traditional video games, publishers were needed to make the actual cartridges, cds, dvds, advertise the game, etc. With the appstore, you don't need any of that and even advertising is done by the developer (like on TouchArcade).

So again, what's the publisher for?

17. esdotdev

Nov 24, 2011
    They make sure you get noticed by Apple. If that doesn't happen you are almost Dead On Arrival. They also do a lot of other useful stuff, like playtesting, feedback, localization etc. It was well worth it for us, to just ensure that we would at least get some returns for over a years worth of work.

We only have a deal for iOS though, Android and Steam will be under our own banner :)

Oh and this just happened, WOW! Speechless:
    http://toucharcade.com/2014/01/17/toucharcade-game-of-the-week-bardbarian/

18. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Congrats on GOTW! You guys earned it. It's definitely a great game. I haven't been addicted to a game like this in awhile. I hope to see more from you guys in the future.

19. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Congrats! You definitely deserved it!

20. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Congrats! This is a fun and awesome game!