Universal Bardbarian - (by Bulkypix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 15, 2014.

1. esdotdev

esdotdev Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Yep, if anything I'm worried we're a little too generous with the gold! But we're not very impressed with the current state of IAP's on mobile, so we're doing our best to strike a solid balance between, making enough money to survive, and not creating some horrible dual-currency timesink (Dragon Age, I'm looking at you!)

2. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    This (endless! looks so good by the way)...

along with this ^...

And this (thanks guys)...

... made me buy it :)

3. rittchard

rittchard Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    I picked this up on a whim last night and am so glad I did. One of the best iOS games I've played in a while. Feels fresh and the graphics and sense of humor are all outstanding. I love that it incorporates a lot of elements from different games but finds its own niche, and sets itself apart from other games in the process.

A steal for $0.99 (and still a steal for $1.98 if you get the golden axe upgrade).

4. angua2105

angua2105 Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Hi,

great game, loving it so far (played for around 5 hours yet). One thing that I wanted to mention as it seems that the devs are reading the thread: Unfortunately, after each try - when I want to return to the upgrade-screen/ shop - the game seems to load but nothing happens. I have to close the game and restart. That's a bit tedious. Restarting my ipad 3 did not fix the problem.

Aside from this i haven't had as much fun with a game in a long time! :)

Angua

5. christopherrocs

christopherrocs Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Hey, u told me this worked on the iPod 4 but it didn't. Please support this is horrible...

6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This... game.... is.... AWESOME!

7. esdotdev

Nov 24, 2011
    Thanks for the report, so it just sticks on the loading screen, and the doors never open back up?

8. esdotdev

Nov 24, 2011
    #88 esdotdev, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    Sorry Chris,I thought the iPod Touch 4 was the same hardware as iPhone 4, and it is, except it actually only has 256MB of ram, not 512. Like the iPad 1, this is just not enough ram for all the textures we need.

Sorry for the mis-information :( We will have BulkyPix update the store description to make this clear.

Most of the issues here seem to be something to do with texture memory, and loading issues. So I will be doing a full pass of our loading system, and see if I can reduce the memory footprint across the board. This should help fix a variety of similar issues. Probably looking at a couple of weeks before an update will clear the publisher and Apple review board, although we may be able to apply for an expedited review.

9. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Thank you for your replies endless sounds like a nice mix up and interested to see what +mode would be but very happy with the game as it is already.

Any thoughts on my request about having the raccoon collecting gold in survival too? It's nice not having to go chasing after it all or letting it vanish : (

10. esdotdev

Nov 24, 2011
    We talked about it, but feel like it would ruin a lot of what makes Survival so great. Getting the gold, without dying, is one of the trickier aspect of the mode, and without that, it would be too easy to simply run in circles and collect gold.

Also, if we were to add Ratcoon, we'd have to nerf the amount of gold dropped, or it would just be way too much. We prefer to keep it skil based and reward the players who can handle it.

We are going to make some changes to the mode soon though. The Fire Golem will become much easier to kill, and we're gonna work more on reducing the 'clump' that forms in the middle.

11. christopherrocs

christopherrocs Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2013
    So does that mean I will get support?

12. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Hey guys, great game! Enjoying it a lot.

Yes. I have the same problem. The doors never open back up and when I press the "try again" button instead nothing happens at all.

It hasn't always been like that. It started happening after playing for a while and now it happens all the time.

It's just a minor annoyance tho because you just have to reboot the game and you are still able to keep the money from your previous run.

13. PSquared

PSquared Active Member

Nov 4, 2013
    I must say I really despise this. Hate is too strong a word but only barely. A healer that kills herself to heal even when your party are at full health. Additionally she takes up a party spot. Additionally she has no attack. If you wanted to put in a health pack then put in a health pack but the entire thought process behind this choice not only eludes me but makes me upset, frustrates the heck out of me, and reduces my ability to enjoy the game. If you feel having an actual healer is too powerful then up the cost to a point where it is balanced but to make the healer essentially a health pack item that kills itself uses up a party slot can't attack and continues killing itself even with nobody to heal.... No. Just no.

With that very strong opinion said the game is fun. Not great but fun. Definitely feels too grindy and not well balanced. The first boss especially seems like a huge roadblock unless you grind the same boring starter levels over and over. I'm not sure if this is just poor balance/scaling or an attempt to subtly convince people to shell out additional money for the golden lute... But there you have it. That is how it feels.

I don't think any of these issues prevents the game from being amusing and there is a lot to like here. I feel it is worth its price tag... But with that said I feel it is a mediocre game with the potential to be a great game if it was better balanced and fine tuned. Hopefully future updates will refine the games issues so it rises from its current mediocrity up to the very high quality game it has the potential to become.

Anyways, that's my personal opinion for what it's worth.

14. esdotdev

Nov 24, 2011
    #94 esdotdev, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    Just to address those comments:

1. The point of this design is to not permanently to occupy a slot. We originally had the healer just heal, but we found it annoying that she was stuck occupying a party slot, when you no longer needed her. By making her disposable (and drastically reducing her note-cost), you can now summon her whenever you need, and then get rid of her. Since she gives back 3 notes when she dies, it is a cost of just 7 notes to heal your party. As your party size increases (to a max of 7) this becomes more and more useful.

If she keeps healing when everyone else has full health, and commits suicide, that is not intended behavior, and we'll look into it.

2. The boss is not that big of a roadblock if you spend your gold wisely. It only takes about 1000 well spent gold coins to defeat the boss if you play well. In terms of forcing you to grind, this is specifically why we've added 2 game modes (surivival and endless), to allow you to have variety in gameplay, without needing to grind the same section over and over. Unfortunately endless didn't make the cut for launch, but it's coming very soon.

Cheers,

15. esdotdev

Nov 24, 2011
    I can't promise that without considerable investigation, but we will do our best.

16. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    #96 Jrec15, Jan 17, 2014
    The frozen on loading glitch started happening to me too. As others have said, just a minor annoyance and doesn't result in any loss of progress. Playing on iphone 5 latest iOS if that helps.
    My take on the healer- I also can't decide if she is worth using for me or not. I actually don't mind that she dies, the worst part for me is that to heal you must be standing still. Finding time to stand still midround just doesnt happen, leaving her as a potion mostly between rounds and only when you dont have a full party. I feel, she should either die from healing and also heal while moving, or not die and only heal when stopped. But, i have no idea if thats too powerful or not. For the time being though, ive mostly been depending on bacon for health

Edit: Also she DOES currently continue to heal when everyone else has full health. Meaning any time you stop moving, she starts to die

17. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #97 TheFrost, Jan 17, 2014
    I love this game. The mixture of genres keep it fresh and addicting, and I cant wait to play endless... In the mean time I am going to enjoy the sense of humor, the music and the action.

Cool upgrades, the knight looks great I want him. Will buy the doubler, game seems very fair in pricing, and there are lots of updates and bosses to keep this one on my iPhone for a looong time. And then there is the endless mode.

I said before that Magnetized was my game of the week but Bardbarian (great name by the way, really funny) is more of my style. 5 stars.

Edit: Doubler bought :)

18. Zaraf

Zaraf Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    #98 Zaraf, Jan 17, 2014
    So I just grinded through this gem and I love it! Great game! Love the music too!

Why does my game file say "Waves 20/21"? How do you access wave 21?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add a "sound test mode" where you can cycle through and play all of the songs. It could be something you can unlock by beating the story mode.

So to contribute back, I got a bug notice and some suggestions.

BUG: I tried using the stun song (lightning bolt icon) on the final T-rex boss as soon as he appeared and the game bugged up and froze. Nothing was working on screen anymore expect the Pause button. I eventually just had to quit to the menu.

Suggestions:

1) More story mode please! Loved the story mode and loved how it was NOT split into typical 3 star levels.

2) A fast forward button would be good for when you gotta sit around and wait for more enemies to pop up. Often I have an entire line of turrets waiting for enemies and they just slowly crawl in one by one.

3) Some kind of indicator of how many turrets you currently have built on screen would be nice. Maybe even a max of how many you can build.

4) I love the tank hero, but I don't really see the point of upgrading her. She gains some more health, but in my experience, she never takes any damage anyway. Maybe you could add something like a "cone of reflection" that increases as you upgrade her. So to start off with, she has a narrow field where you have to block projectiles head on, and as you upgrade her, you can reflect projectiles coming in at the sides. At max, a single tank could maybe cover an entire 3 person row, thus not requiring more than one to defend the group.

5) Please have the tank always stay at the front of the pack. I summoned a ninja when I already had a tank in place, and the ninja was positioned in front of the tank, making the reflection useless until the ninja died.

6) More bosses with unique combat strategies, like needing to stun the T-rex with the bombs he throws before you can attack the rider.

7) The ability to "call waves early" would be really nice too. Sometimes it's fun to play a challenge where you get everything coming quickly without pause just to see how well you can survive against the horde.

8) A sound test mode or a jukebox as I mentioned earlier.

9) For healing, you could also have one of the buildings toss out food every so often.

Thanks for the awesome work on the game!

19. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    ^^ #9 already happens

20. esdotdev

Nov 24, 2011
    #100 esdotdev, Jan 17, 2014
    Hot damn, those are some great suggestions! You will see a few in the next update for sure (mostly the ones already on my list :D)