Universal Bardbarian - (by Bulkypix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Better, a new character who's free for early adopters.

I don't like preorder DLC that is not made available to everyone. And it's like, free money! So why do they sometimes never be made available? (I'm mainly speaking of other game consoles here.)

2. esdotdev

esdotdev Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    #602 esdotdev, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    Thanks for all the comments guys.

Basically we're going Free to Play because we've seen pretty strong revenues from IAP's, and we really think that just getting as many people playing as possible will monetize far more than the $.99 entry fee. The game has not broken even, not even close. Sad to say, but the paid market is just broken right now on mobile, or maybe we just did it wrong :(

On the idea of rewarding Early Adopters, I personally feel that being an early adopter IS the reward. You played it before anyone else, you were the first to get to experience it, and for that there is a bit higher price. The same as when you see a new movie, or buy a new tech gadget. Not that it's really the case, we just launched on Steam for 6.99, so you got a pretty damn good deal!

But we do want to say thanks to our early adopters, so we're planning on the following:
    * All people upgrading, will obviously not see Ads.
    * We'll implement iCloud to track whether you were a paid user, so this should work even if you download it on a new device.
    * Hopefully, we'll be able to bring over the new Indie Units we laucnhed on Steam with (no promises though, as we still need permission)

On top of that, your comments gave me a pretty sweet idea... What if, when you first upgrade to the F2P version, we pop up a "Blank Check", signed by Brad of course, and you could enter any value form 0-999,999, as an early adopter. Kinda cool?

In terms of updates, they will be coming, we really want to add some new enemies and campaign levels, but it will take some time, we're a small team, and also have some new idea we're dying to try out :)

3. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Hey, I'm completely for your decision. This game is worth $10 without a doubt.

I also really hope you can get those indie units over to iOS (I'd buy them for a buck each without hesitation). Glad to hear we'll still be getting some new stuff regardless ;)

And I'm not really sure I understand that final idea?

4. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    I'm an early adopter and i haven't put much of my time in this game yet.

It's really disappointing that this game would go F2P. :(

5. Gamer1st

Gamer1st Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    None. But I dream about being able to work again.
    USA
    Is it possible to cut down on the needed free space for the game to run through optimization? This game has to have at least 1Gb of free space or it won't go past the first screen. I've had this same problem with the game on my 4th gen and Air. I don't have another game among the 5000 plus titles that has to have this much free space to run.

6. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Hey, I mean, devs aren't called "Money TreeFortress" for a reason haha.

7. vii-Lucky

Jul 28, 2013
    I can't explain the feeling but there is something bad i feel about F2P games.

And i don't think they would remove that since it will go F2P.

8. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    so as long as we buy it for 99 cents before it goess free to play were safe right? even the day before?

9. vii-Lucky

Jul 28, 2013
    Safe from ads? i guess so.

10. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Yeah, if you bought the game you automatically get the doubler and no adds, so it'll be like it never changed

11. vii-Lucky

Jul 28, 2013
    Wait!? so we get the golden axe for free as an early adopter?

sounds fair.

12. Intendro

Aug 6, 2013
    That means I need to set up iCloud... And hope it doesn't do anything stupid like those "older data overwrote newer data" horror stories... :eek:

It's possible to make a game's iCloud upload and download manual. Will you do that?

13. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    So what am I going to lose by updating? Usually when games go F2P, some things in the game that were freely available before the update get locked behind IAPs or in-game currency purchases.

If the experience is changed so that it really changes the feel from how it is now (like the addition of energy/timers), then why would I ever update? I already have the golden axe, so that's not an incentive.

14. Intendro

Aug 6, 2013
    Usually when games go freemium they steal things from people who bought the game?
    This is common?! *bangs head on wall*
    Stupid! Stupid! Thieving! Stupid! Why?!

15. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Wow, so you spend $.99 and are upset the game is going F2P? There must be kids on allowance on these forums. You deserve nothing. You received a full game for $1, and it's like you all expect more. I could understand if it was like $6-$10, but $1????

16. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    You misunderstand.

When the update comes, freemium mechanics will be added to the game. To compensate, Bulkypix is giving owners of the paid version the golden axe and no ads.

I already have the golden axe and no ads. So all the update does for me is give me whatever freemium mechanics they decide to employ.

I'm simply wondering if there will be any reason for current owners (of the game and the golden axe) to update, or will it be in our best interest to skip the update.

17. esdotdev

esdotdev Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    #617 esdotdev, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    No no. To clarify, our only F2P mechanic is to show forced ads, and then remove them once anyone makes an IAP.

There are no additional F2P mechanics added at all. We're not into messing with the core mechanics that everyone really seems to love.

In addition price of the Golden Axe will likely go up to 2.99, so essentially it's the exact same price for the game + golden axe, except now the game is free so we remove that barrier to entry.

18. vii-Lucky

Jul 28, 2013
    So do we have to backup on iCloud first? (its so slow...):confused:

19. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Ah, ok, cool. So basically I won't see any difference. I'm happy with that. :)

Thanks for the clarification!

20. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Ah ok, seems very fair :) But what about if someone has iCloud disabled? (and Siri, ...) (Battery life is doubled without it). Will it still work the same way?