Universal Bardbarian - (by Bulkypix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Totally getting this tonight! The premise caught my attention and then those gameplay videos sealed the deal! This looks great!

2. bardbarian

bardbarian Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Honestly he seemed more skillful his first time than most people, which makes sense give he plays lots of games! Was cool to see an organic playthrough and where people die/which solos/units they use!

Survival and endless modes are meant to be fun alternatives to the story/campaign, upgrades only affect story mode. While this might disappoint you, our reasoning for this was because we wanted our competitive modes (endless & survival) to have all players on an even playing field. We figure most people will play story mode, buy a few upgrades, spend some time in our competitive modes for a little extra gold for upgrades, then play story again and hopefully get a little bit further and hit a checkpoint!

Survival plays as a high damage, high speed, intense mode, where Endless plays like an endless runner combined with our core mechanics. It is nearly wrapped up and should be in our 1.2 patch coming very soon. Here's a sample of the artwork I created for this mode:

[​IMG]

AAAND just for fun, here's a preview of some "box art" im making for the game's launch :

[​IMG]

Hope you guys like what you see and enjoy our game, it's been one hell of a journey.

3. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    I really like the sound of all three of the modes! Sounds like the game will have the fun of a good story mode, but the replayability if a good endless mode. Really looking forward to this!

4. bardbarian

bardbarian Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Cheers! I'm glad it appeals to you. It was really important to us that our other modes help train the player to be better at specific skills related to core mechanics of the game, while challenging them and offering enough gameplay variety to be fun and different, not to mention leaderboards and achievements.

5. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I do love the art, what made you go with rock/metal music? I don't find it in many games the last one I can think of I played was Brutal Legend.

It sounds like a fair reason to not allow the upgrades in the two other modes after story I just wondered if my upgrades would feel pointless once I complete story.

Looking forward to giving this a go though, it has a lot of elements I love in a game I'm not sure about the gameplay itself but with everything else I like there it also looks like it has enough character to keep me playing.

6. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Great design choice! I wish more developers would keep one or a few modes strictly competitive and free from persistent advantages.

Also, if I understand your post correctly (since Bardbarian has yet to rock my local App Store), endless and survival still earn us gold that can be spent on upgrades, even if those upgrades has no impact on those very same modes. That's another incentive to play those modes beyond the competitive aspect, and another very clever idea! :)

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ok so from what i've seen, this is something like Nimble Quest with 360-degree movement, or something like Colossatron with manual movement.

Seems like either way it's a winning formula. I think i know where my $1 will go to.

8. bardbarian

bardbarian Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Thanks, appreciate the feedback based on initial thoughts :D

The rock/metal vibe came from me being a metalhead, and the overarching story of someone tired of the daily grind wanting to do something creative it just felt right! I also loved brutal legend and pretty much everything those creative masterminds at doublefine create.

As for your hard-earned upgrades we are already throwing around the idea of a newgame+ so don't worry, its all being considered :)

9. bardbarian

bardbarian Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Correct! All gold picked up while playing Bardbarian and all its modes can be used in the store to upgrade your units, Brad himself, and the town!

10. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    #30 Jrec15, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    I haven't played so someone correct me if i'm wrong, but in the videos i believe i saw a stick to control movement in the bottom left corner. So it seems the gameplay boils down to controlling movement of the party, summoning new members, performing spells, managing upgrades/party members outside of battles, etc. Basically in full control of everything except actually attacking

11. bardbarian

bardbarian Member

Jan 24, 2013
    #31 bardbarian, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    Exactly! There was much debate early on in the game's development as to how it would play, we had a rough idea as to what we wanted to accomplish as we were inspired by a great little flash game called snake squad. Ultimately we decided the gameplay and story should match and work together, in that Brad(you) are tired of fighting, and want to play music to inspire others. Based on these decisions, Brad does not actually have any attacks that you control. Your controls are simply movement (joystick), and tapping to summon units, a stun when you max out your combo (5 kills without being hit) as well as power solos for buffs.

A bullet-dodging action tower defense game if you will!

I'm hoping that people enjoy trying out different combinations of units and develop their own strategies for beating the game, every character has strong and weak points and it'll be neat to see how people build their team. Personally I enjoy the necromancer for her zombies, the wizard for his insane range & knockback, and the engineer because who doesn't love building turrets?

12. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    That's cool, there should definitely be more metal in games so I'm happy and I bet the art was fun for you to do too. Brutal Legend was awesome : )

I was going to ask if you were considering updates but I hate to ask when a game isn't even released yet but I'm glad to know you are considering them!

Also to the other question yes to me it also looks like you control absolutely everything including who you summon into your party once everyone is unlocked, your goal is to decide who is best to use and use your movement and skills to the best of your ability to destroy everyone, so the team auto attacking isn't anything bad for me with this type of game.

13. mrmort

mrmort Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    This game looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait to pick it up on the mini tonight!

14. So firing is just autofire?

15. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    It's been explained all very recently just read the posts you don't even have to read far!

16. christopherrocs

christopherrocs Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Hey we're u talking to me when u said there sure is? Please quote so I can be sure lol iPod 4 supp?

17. bardbarian

bardbarian Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Yes I was haha sorry, tested and confirmed working on iPhone 4

18. christopherrocs

christopherrocs Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Great! Np

19. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    That description at the top of the page has me super excited. Bulkypix has been publishing some super great games lately. Definitely picking this up once it hits the US

Makes me think of Battleheart, Snake, Colossatron, and Shellrazer

20. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Also, I have an idea for endless and survival. I think it would be cool if it was a rougelike in a way. Open a menu and use unlock upgrades that go away after that run.

Although that would use up your grinded gold... Or you could just keep all the gold you earned, even if you used it on the upgrades in that run. Just thought I'd throw that idea in there, that way those modes can have the fun of the upgrades