Universal Barcode Knight (by Magic Cube)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Nyambe

Nyambe Active Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Fun game. Mage seems underpowered.

2. Thomadaneau

Thomadaneau Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Digital marketing consultant
    Playing that game is not that fun. Yeah you have a lot of barcode around the house. But do you want to keep standing near your cupboard scanning a different product every 30 seconds?

3. Nyambe

Nyambe Active Member

Jul 2, 2012
    After a short period of time you unlock a random dungeon that uses energy. Which refills everytime you lvl.

Had anyone unlocked high dungeon I'm already lvl 12.. And only have medium and can't complete any quests.

4. CalebHall1

CalebHall1 Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Male
    Hey you did a good job on that review! I like how you didn't sugar coat it. Thank you for adding the part about the customization. I'm a sucker for games with this art style. Are there any other games like this? Not barcode games but pixel art with heavy customization. I love being able to actually see the different weapons and armor on the character

5. predator8u

predator8u Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2013
    I was super disappointed by the first barcode kingdom. If I remember correctly timers destroyed all fun for me. I didn't want to wait 40-60 mins for my party to travel.

Magic cube games always look/play SO good until some shit mechanic meant to make me spend money ruins them.

6. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    Ugh! I just won what looked like a nice new claymore for completing a quest but it didn't appear in my inventory! I missed out on a good great bow because of this too!

7. Retro Nug

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    Doh! My bad I figured out where the items went. Feel so dumb but also happy cuz I got my weapons! Enjoying the game, btw!

8. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    grrr well if anyone hasn't got barcode kingdom nows your chance it's gone free! I just bought it yesterday too :mad: when I picked this up and saw it was cool I grabbed the other game too.

time to get scanning today :D and play some more of this.

9. snKnight

snKnight Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #29 snKnight, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    Many thanks! My intention with the review is to mirror my experience, both good and bad.

As far as games with customisation like that, honestly none jump out. The only one I can think of that's remotely similar is Goblin sword. It's not quite as deep with armour and weapon sets, but I played it recently and it's got 24 unique weapons and 10 armor sets. Plus being one of my favourite games ever, to boot.

Throwing out some random suggestions - all three are similar style RPGs but may catch your eye:
    CrimsonHeart
    SOL Stone of Life
    Aurum Blade

As far as Barcode Knight goes - has anyone had success with anything other that the sword? My +7 Samurai Sword and sword-wielding merc have cut through absolutely everything. I lucked out with a stun-resistant armour too, which I'm sure helped, but the bow and stun options seem... worthless.

10. Bone16

Bone16 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    I tried downloading Barcode Kingdom since it was free to see what this might be like. All I get when opening is a black screen and the music. Anyone else have this problem?

11. Skvar

Skvar Active Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Check your shop. Extra items appear there for 24hrs if you do not have the room. Should not lose anything.

12. modus_ataraxia

modus_ataraxia Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    Couldn't get into this, sorry. Scanned some codes, played some levels with barebones RPG mechanics, then read about timers in a paid game.

Not for me.

13. Nyambe

Nyambe Active Member

Jul 2, 2012
    After playing for awhile now. I've made a lvl 7 executior blade.. Ive got a few other rare swords but I don't see a point in using or trying to get anything rare because it would be very difficult to keep up with a N+ item due to drop rate.

14. chilifries

chilifries New Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Yup, same here.

15. lucia han

lucia han Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Artist (Army Wars Defense, Infect Them All, The lo
    Barcode kingdom has now some graphic problems on iPhone6 and iPhone6+.
    We fixed the problems as soon as we found that, the game will be updated soon.
    We are sorry for the inconvenience.

16. lucia han

lucia han Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Artist (Army Wars Defense, Infect Them All, The lo
    Thank you so much for the great comments and reviews!
    All are very helpful for us!

17. Bone16

Bone16 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Thanks for the update. I won't give up then#

18. Retro Nug

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    Yeah, I remembered about the shop keeper saving stuff for ya like 5 seconds after making that post. lol #

19. tennischamp5

tennischamp5 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2012
    Medical Student
    Saint Louis, MO
    #40 tennischamp5, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    My quick thoughts on this so far.

It's a fun little time waste. Was a little difficult at first - lost about 20 AP fights in a row at one point early on since neither my weapon nor my mercenary could keep up (made the mistake of scanning the same barcode 15x and fighting super leveled enemies that I couldn't beat). But once I got some decently upgraded weapon and some gear (all of N rarity but upgraded), progression went much faster. Around level 9-10, I felt generous so I tossed a few bucks into the game (One $9.99 purchase - solely to upgrade my inventory by 20-30ish or so spaces up from 20 something to 54ish)

It's interesting because the equipment available for me (so far atleast) has rarity ratings of N, N+, and R. N items have slightly lesser stats but are more common, R items have better stats but are well... rare. Any item can be combined with itself to gain a +1 rating (no idea if there's a limit to this or if it goes on forever - highest I have at the moment is a +3). That said, it's always an interesting choice of whether to upgrade your N's or equip your R since the more common pieces once upgraded are typically better than un-upgraded Rs. For example, I have an N+(+3) sword with 53 att and 6.0 speed (higher speed stat = faster attack speed) and an R(+0) sword with 42 att and 3.0 speed. Obviously the N+ is better now, but pre-upgrade, when both were at +0, the R had much better stats. I've always enjoyed games where upgrading equipment actually does a noticeable improvement (*cough* marvel contest of champions w/ it's 0.05% damage boost *cough*).

To add even more strategy (or annoyance) into it, inventory space caps out fairly early, and it costs in game currency to increase slot by slot. Luckily, gold comes at a reasonable pace, but prices to upgrade this cap increase exponentially, leading to the inevitable dilemma of once again - Do I throw away this R that I just got since I'll probably never find too many copies of it? Or do I toss a random N item to make space.

Luckily, there's a nice little spare backpack that will hold anything I can't carry for 24 hours. Space will be an issue no matter what. I'm sitting at 54 inventory spaces, and still full to the brim with 54/54 as well as 5-6 items in that spare backpack. Once everything I have in my inventory is upgraded, it'll probably drop to 50/54 or so, but I gain items a lot faster that I can upgrade them (Easily one per 2-3 fights). Next slot costs 19,680,100 gold lol. Definitely a steep increase. Seeing as how I gain 0.05% of that per fight on average. Though the amount I gain per fight seems to go up fairly steadily (Started in the <50 gold range, now close to ~10k gold). So yeah, as a free player, inventory will severely hamper you - but that's only a problem if you're the collecting type (Like me - I want one of everything!). Won't prevent progression since equipping your best gear really only requires 3 slots (weapon+armor+helmet) + another 2 if you want one of each class (sword, bow, wand).

Definitely a fun little side game.

Three questions:
    1) Is there a cap on upgrade levels? (I see there's achievements for +5 but not sure if that's the max)
    2) Is there a rarity above R? (R+, UR, etc.)
    3) How many unique items exist in game and/or is there an inventory cap? (To help plan for inventory space. If there's 50-75 unique items, I might be inclined to make another small IAP to max out my inventory whereas if there's 200+, no point me even bothering with trying to save everything. That said, I did read something about 500,000 combinations of hero styles and with three items going into the style, I was roughly estimating 200-300 items?)