Universal Banner Saga (by Stoic)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Tonk Montana

Tonk Montana Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2010
    The tutorial at the beginning of the game is awesome at explaining the mechanics. It is pretty straightforward but requires a lot of strategy and thinking and risk/reward balances. It is great.

2. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Kinda low res on iPad 3, similar to Valiant Hearts. And Beat Buddy and Bioshock are not compatible with it. I think it's time to get a new one...

3. thedemographic

thedemographic Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Oh, no. I hope this isn't true. Valient Hearts on ipad 3 is pretty awful with the low res images. I was really looking forward to Banner Saga in part because of the amazing graphics. Hope this is fixed for iPad 3 soon.

4. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I will have to wait and get this on Steam (don't want to upgrade my 4S, not that this seems super playable on it), but it's awesome to see such big indie games on iOS. It makes me want an iPad... though now that I've searched it, I see this is coming to Android too, so it's highly likely it'll play on my android tablet as so far all games seem to play fine on it.

5. wedge598

wedge598 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2013
    If by "fixed for iPad 3 soon" you mean that a team of Apple technicians will come to your house and replace the aging processor in your old iPad3 with a faster one so that you can play the most recently games on it. I'd say, don't hold your breath.

6. spooky23

spooky23 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Anyone playing this on the still not ancient ipad 4?

7. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    Same question here.

8. thedemographic

thedemographic Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Now, expecting Apple to come to my house to replace the processor in my iPad would be expecting a little too much I think (maybe if I had sprung for AppleCare!!!).

The game release notes recommend devices more recent than iPhone 4s, which includes iPad 3. I'm not sure if low-res graphics are a processor thing or if it's something that can be improved by the devs. If not, perhaps they should not include the ipad 3 as a recommended device, or at least advise that lower resolution graphics may be expected.

9. Flip90

Flip90 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Anyone played on normal iphone 6 hows it play on that control wise? i no people said it was ok on 6+ with the bigger screen but not so much on 5s but nothing on the 6 cheers

10. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Damn I guess my iPad 2 is out of the question...I was going to get this one too...

11. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    ehm.. i feel sort of embarassed, but... how would it look on iphone 4s? i'm holding out for the new ipad, so i'm definitely getting this, it's just a question of now vs later. I've bought a lot of games that i can't play because of too small fonts on my iphone, but i'm keeping them for the future.
    So: would i be able to play / read comfortably on 4s? someone said earlier you have to squint, but i would like more opinions.

12. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    I can see that this has good production values, seems to be critically very well received, and it looks decent, but how is the story, does it have a nice rich deep story, or is the main focus the fighting etc?

13. cachecat

cachecat Member

Oct 2, 2014
    L.Lawliet was saying how terrible it looked on anything other than an iphone, reading that as the game was downloading, I was getting worried. Having a 5S, this is reassuring.

14. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    cachecat, as your 5s has only a small screen difference than my 4s in size (not like 6+) can you post your impressions on how it looks after playing please?

15. spooky23

spooky23 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Can't see how this will be a good experience on anything but an ipad. Or a 6+ (a 6 at a push).

I've got a 5s but don't really want to be playing it on that. If anyone has installed on an ipad4, let me know.

16. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Thank you!

17. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

For the sake of research I just played to about the same point on iPad Air and iPhone 6 and gotta say it's perfectly playable on the phone. Can't imagine it would be any worse on a 5 with it being only a fraction smaller.

All the scenes (battles, travel, cities) you can pinch zoom so you can get things to nearly same physical size they are on the iPad. It looks sharp and really clear to me. All text readable - the smallest being the character stats screen descriptions of abilities but it's still totally clear for me.

Only slight thing is when the tutorial text popups come up they can be hiding some of the action icons and characters if you are zoomed out (the default zoom it moves to) but you can pan the view (or zoom in) so it is fine really.

Overall I wouldn't let a smaller device stop you from playing - tho of course it's more impressive on an iPad! I might even stick with playing it on the phone tho tbh as it's nice to hold this world in your hands and get up close and personal with it, and looks so cute!

Animations and atmosphere are top notch. Depth of the battle tactics seems really deep for me... not sure I'm playing it as well as I could be yet but a big part of the fun for me is learning!

18. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    I'm sold sir, my 5s is downloading as we speak

19. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    1,7gb on my ipad

20. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

hehe, enjoy :)