Universal Banner Saga (by Stoic)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 2, 2014.

1. vonknut

vonknut Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Dont know about leaderboards but you sure can replay, where you focus on upgrading different to test other strategies

2. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    I know the appss tore says that the game won't fun on iPhone4 but I'll on 4s. Has anpone tried it on the 4? I REALLY wanna check this gem out but am not in a position to get a new phone. Anyone had any luck, as I have had the "not compatible with IP4 thing not be entirely try, or even at all try for numerous games and really wanna grab this up before the sale is over.

3. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    It doesn't run that well on an 4s from the reports I've seen, so if it barely runs on there I can't imagine how it runs on a 4. Not to mention the screen size, on my 5s things were too small, so a 4 would be worse. You could always just lock in the license until you get a new phone.

4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    So I just finished this game. Played it on and off for about a month.
    I ended up switching the difficulty half way to easy just because, well, I wanted to get it done quicker.
    Honestly, the story only got a bit interesting at about chapter 6, (of which there is only 7 chapters!). although I won't do it for spoilers, to me the whole time up to chapter 6 can be summarised in two sentences or less.
    The battles are always against dredge with just a couple against fellow kinsmen.
    I didn't find a lot of tactical depth to those battles either. (So ok I switched to easy difficulty but that was halfway through, and really, I don't see how big tactics would come much into play.
    My tactics were to basically keep an archer or two on the fringe and my heavy hitters steam role through. No surprises there.
    Rook became quite the beast archer which was cool.
    But really, apart from making a few varl into heavy hitters, and rook too, the game didn't seem to offer up much excitement for levelling up characters in my opinion. The stats were all kept too low. Only by chapter 6 was I maybe starting to really consider stat point allocation.
    Adding on to that, I didn't really find much synergy in the special ability each character has (performed by willpower). Maybe I'm just not smart enough to use them to any great effect =p
    So, some characters can push enemies, some can damage multiple in one swing, some can shoot an arrow through a line of enemies. But good luck getting the dredge to stand still while you line up any meaningful combo.
    The maint tactic I was using was pick of as many as I can with an archer, and the bigger varl either hit for strength damage or if hays coming off to weak then hit for armour break so the next strength damage is more effective. But using special abilities ...*crickets*. Sure on the odd occasion if have a thrasher smash out 6 random points of damage. But really, I found willpower better spent in upping the strength or armour attack by my characters.

As for the ending, well some here have said it was too abrupt. I didn't think it was, although that may be because I wasn't into this game so much so sort of wanted it to come around.
    As I said the story did get more interesting around chapter 6, so by the ending (chapter 7), I was somewhat more invested in the game and more interested.

As for controls and screen layout: I played on a 6+. It wasn't bad overall, but there were times when text for abilities was hidden behind other stats. You can angle the screen around and the display moves with it so there are ways to get a peak at what you're trying to read.
    There were occasions when is miss hit a square to move to or if units are gathered close I'd hit a square but it was the wrong one and I'd end up short of where I wanted to go to land a hit so I'd just have to give up my turn. I wish there was a undo button just for the movement phase. There's no reason why there couldn't be. Would take away a lot of frustration.

The choices offered during the narrative were somewhat evocative at times which is to be commended. But I couldn't help but think sometimes the outcome after my decision was somewhat arbitrary. Did I really deserve to lose 10 renown after say (making it up), I broke up a fight in my caravan? At times it was a bit like that. But of course, you can't please everyone with the logic of the scripting

Overall though, I'm being a harsh critic because I don't usually finish rpg's anyway, so it's a tribute to say that I finished this one. But really I'd just rate the story as ok, and the strategy as ok. I hear this is part of a trilogy or so (maybe hence "saga"), so would I buy the next one or two? Perhaps if the reviews are kind.

5. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Planning on buying the game, but I believe cutscenes are not subtitled.
    Since I can read English and understand most of it, it is too hard for me to follow and understand everything said.

If you don't fully understand things said in the cutscenes, is that a problem?
    Or is it enough just able to follow the conversations (I think they are subtitled?)

6. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    No, most dialogue is written instead of spoken. Even the portions where they do speak, it's still has subtitles.

7. Kugiro

Kugiro Member

Nov 8, 2012
    Army Medic
    Copperas Cove, TX
    It's half off right now!

8. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    I absolutely loved this game.. Playing it for the third time, now on hard difficulty.. The battles become very strategic.. Abilities and managing your will power become all that more important.. There's a fine line weather to attack or break amor.. Much finer than on normal.. On normal your afforded room to make a mistake here and there but on hard it truly becomes a chess match.. One wrong move and your probably dead ##.. The soundtrack is beautiful and so is the artwork.. At times reading became a bit tedious, especially after playing a few times but I found the story engaging.. So yeah if don't own this its a must have in my opinion..

9. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    have anyone given this a proper playtime on a 4s and could tell me if is worth buying for it?

For what i see from a few post looks like it just barely runs on it

10. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    This game no longer works on my iphone 6+ ios 8.2 not jailbroken

11. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    I notice a new update was just released. Makes me wonder if there is any word on the sequel, which is now available on Steam, coming to iOS.

12. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    Well it worked exactly 1 time before it stopped working again how hard can it be to fix this bug

13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Lo behold, I bear good news!
    I got curious about that too when I saw that Banner Saga 2 will release on Steam without any mention of iOS. So I contacted Stoic and asked. Quoting from their reply:
    ...we are currently working on an iOS port! There's no definite release date yet...

So we should see it sooner or later, stay tuned.

14. I've had this on Steam for a year but never got around to play it. Maybe I have a better luck on ipad. Looks like a great game.

15. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    Hard to find informations about the sequel. I'm not on facebook, and i don't know where to search except here. Anyone knows anything about it? First one was such a fantastic game, and i know that the second episode is already available everywhere but ios.

16. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I wrote to Stoic mid-May, when I noticed they are working on a sequel but no mention of iOS in the announcement.
    They replied that they are working on a port already, but didn't have a release date planned yet. We'll just have to be patient, it seems.
    If you want to know more, you could always write them too, there's an email address on their homepage.

17. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    Thanks! It's true i have to be patient. I was worry because earlier comments was a bit old and i find nothing new. I'll be patient! I hope it will be ipad 4 compatible, i was so disappointed with titan quest.
    I'll write them to know that.

18. IAP-king

IAP-king Member

Jul 15, 2013
    I couldn't wait for the mobile port of 2 any longer and bought it on my ps4, it sucks I couldn't carry over my saved data, because I was getting dialogue for things I didn't even do in the first game.

19. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
    I am pretty sure Banner Saga 2 will release later today or tomorrow :eek:

20. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Part 2 has finally released