Universal Banner Saga (by Stoic)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 2, 2014.

1. romiem

romiem Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Time to dip in and see what all the fuss is about :)

2. Senile Felines

Senile Felines Active Member

Mar 6, 2013
    I bought this game yesterday on sale and it has not once worked for me. I've closed all other apps, restarted my iPhone 5S, and every single time I start up the app, it shows the company logo for 1/2 second before cutting to a black screen and staying there. I can still go to home screen or switch apps just fine, but this app isn't working at all.

I think I may have just wasted $5.

Do the devs frequent these forums at all? Is there any way to get a hold of them about this issue?

3. ThirdMoon

ThirdMoon Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    Just an idea, but have you made sure you have free space on your phone? Many apps need hundreds of megabytes to run properly.

Wish you luck with the issue!

4. SpikeGuy

SpikeGuy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    That's what I was going to say. It works fine on my iPhone 5s.

5. Senile Felines

Senile Felines Active Member

Mar 6, 2013
    I have 322mb of free space on my phone. How much does this game need to run past the loading screen?

6. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    1 GB to have it crash free.

7. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    How to save in this game? Is it automatic? And if a characted dies in battle, is it ok? Or they'll gone from the rooster? Thanks before :)

8. Bliquid

Bliquid Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Hello, i have more than a 1 GB free and the app doesn't crash or freeze, at least until where i stopped at the end of the first battle.
    But it runs very poorly, so i thought to ask:
    I'm on 4S and the loading times are long, like 1-2 mins long.
    Also, the game is very un- fluid, both in game scenes and cut scenes.
    Is it because of the old device i'm running it on?
    I'm gonna switch to iPhone 6 soon-ish, but i wanted to give it a try now.
    Should i free even more space or the 4S just can't handle it?

9. postalRage

postalRage Member

Oct 14, 2014
    Planning on getting this.. Does the game have an endless mode in terms of battling random scenarios or is it only story scenarios?

10. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    Old device is only half of the problem.
    Problem is that 4S have 512MB RAM, so it need to unload and load game data pretty frequently. Freeing more space won't help.
    With 5S and 6 it should be noticeably better as they have twice more RAM.

11. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    No sir just story scenarios

12. postalRage

postalRage Member

Oct 14, 2014
    Thanks for the information. Is it a game that can be replayed?

13. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    It can, I'm currently on my second walkthrough.. Instead of being a "nice guy" I'm going to be a complete asshole.. I also raised the difficulty.. The game is amazing and for 5 bucks a steal.. If you don't mind reading a bit you'll love it

14. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Yup. Same experience on my ipad air. Smooth as butter. Have 2.6 GB free space and reset my device before playing

15. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Same on my iPad Mini 2, with only 1.4 GB free. Absolutely no issues with this absolutely gorgeous game.

16. Luciano1084

May 8, 2014
    Yup not one stutter on my mini retina.. Best game I've played on ios yet

17. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    This would be my slowest and clunkiest game on my iPad 3 easily, it does need optimising if it's going to crawl and skip on fairly static scenes with panning. Yes is older hardware now but comparatively it doesn't stack up against more technically demanding games on the same device. The blurry icons need replacing too. Otherwise looks lovely and it's my type of game, but in its current state I am not enjoying the experience.

18. ludka33

ludka33 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    The game is amazing. Love the story, characters, gameplay, and artwork.

The load time is just plain awful. Much worse than Skyrim, which was horrible. And the ending was just plain disappointing.

I know it's part one of a three-part series, but the ending was just so abrupt. Every first story of a trilogy has itself wrapped up neatly. It's just good story-telling. This was lazy, plain and simple.

I loved the game and will buy the sequels, but the ending of this one left a very bad taste in my mouth.

19. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    #319 Psac42, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    Just finished the game. Definitely my GOTY. Of course there could be improvements.

The load time was annoying, but not as much as the endless walking without a skip or "speed up" button. I know it's part of the ambiance, but I'm sure at least 30-60 minutes of my 10+ (I think way + but didn't count) hours was just staring at tiny characters walking.

The map should have had some indication of where you're coming from and going to.

In battle, it would be nice if movement could be continued. Sometimes it was easy to mis hit where you want to go and end up short. Or just misjudge range of arrows and spells. And if I still had movement left before attacking, it would be nice to be able to use it.

Finally, I didn't like the ending because I made the wrong choice. It was a sad ending, the other choice would have been less so. (I don't want to spoil anything.)

Will certainly buy part 2 without hesitation.

20. Rythan

Rythan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2014
    This game has any replayability? Please answer... I know it has achievements but are there leaderboards for anything else?