Universal Banner Saga (by Stoic)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Revolvix

Revolvix Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Was really stoked about this but I just can't play it due to the long loading times. I'm not exaggerating when I say I look at the loading screen more than playing it. I timed how long it took to load up the start of battle and it was over a minute. In camp wanting to look at my heroes or even rest I get hit with a lengthy black screen. I'm a patient man but this is too much. Gutted.

2. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Which device are you playing on?

3. Revolvix

Revolvix Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2014
    It's an iPad mini first gen, granted its old (Althouh it boggles my mind how it can be classed as old hat, I've had it less than a year).

Maybe they should have not made it compatible for mini without retina due to the load times, it's a shame because it looks really engrossing.

4. galfridus

galfridus Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 5, 2014
    Won't Run

I can't get this to run on my iPad Mini Retina (iOS 8.0.2). Tried closing all apps, deleting and reinstalling, rebooting. It either crashes immediately or hangs right after the Stoic logo with a black screen. Not very fun!

5. JamesT

JamesT Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    I have the same, so I guess I'll pass on this game. Thanks for the heads up

6. bababewey

bababewey Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2012
    I also played on a 1st gen mini and had no problems with load times. Maybe 30 seconds at most, often just a few seconds. I don't think it's a device issue.

7. JamesT

JamesT Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    So outside of load times, what do you guys think about the game? How many hours have you or will you get out of it?

8. coccodrillo

coccodrillo Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Interesting. Same device, same iOS - works perfectly..

9. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    It's cool, I spent about 6 hours on it before I deleted it. The story was okay up until that point, but there were too many Nordic names for me to keep up with. Combat is pretty simple, but on a 5s you will accidentally hit tiles if you are not zoomed in. I even had problems picking the optional dialogue, because of the lack of detection on the 4" screen. It kind of feels like you're playing chess, and it's fun while its last, but I'm just more into strategy games like xcom and rad soldiers.

10. Kour

Kour Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Still loving this aye. Immensely.

11. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    I've got the same setup and it runs perfectly :(

12. galfridus

galfridus Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 5, 2014
    Contacted support, turns out it was free space. Currently it needs 1 GB or so of free space. Deleted some stuff, works like a charm.

13. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    How is the gameplay and UI on the 5s? Really interested in this since its from former bioware devs, how does the gameplay compare to other SRPG's?

Also just wondering if it's better to play on an iPad air when I get it replaced?

14. coccodrillo

coccodrillo Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Cool! Enjoy the game!

15. s4r3th

s4r3th Member

Jun 1, 2014
    So, is it playable on ipad2? I really wanted to buy the game, but from what i read on the reviews they said the loading can go to 5 minutess...is this true? And how about during the combat? Is it ok?

16. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    #276 wigzisonfire, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    this is easily the best game I have played since owning an idevice(have had iPhones of every gen since 3) I could not put the thing down since booting it up. The artwork is stunning and the story Is damn Captivating. Anyone complaining about text walls needs to be murdered with a dictionary, if you can't enjoy the story here, you don't deserve to own this game.

I would definitely reccomend playing this on ipad as it it a thing of beauty to behold, tho I have been playing this between my iPad Air and iPhone 5s (the iCloud saving works a charm, you can jump between saves on your devices, picking up from where you got to on your other device)

On that note, people complaining about this game on iPhones needs a slap too, this is easily playable and readable on my iPhone 5s, the only excuse you can have to not enjoying this game still on iPhone is that you either have cataracts or are just straight up blind, or blind ignorant.

So let me end, I'm ashamed of the whining on this forum, this is a literal, premium PC game available to us bottom feeding iOS gamers and we have the ordacity to complain. Lap it up like cats do the creme, who knows when the next crumbs of a game as glorious as this will fall from the premium gaming table to us dogs below.

P.s. This rant wasn't aimed at you bald eagle, to your Ernest question, if you will be getting an ipad, wait for that. If not, this game is definitely playable on iPhone 5s and should not be missed at any cost!!!

P.p.s the loading times are not long, dunno what attention spans kids have these days!,!,!

17. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    After weeks of reading & watching videos I'm finally going for it. I'm a huge turn based combat fan but all the dialog kept me holding off. Based on the videos I started to care about the story so I think that's why I've hit the download button finally. I've loved Xcom, Shadowrun returns & Breach & Clear so in hoping this one has enjoyable combat so that all of the dialog becomes a non issue.

18. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Thank you for the epic reply! I feel like I should just go for it since it will be a while till I get my iPad, I love bioware storytelling and might playthrough more than once.

19. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    What a great game. I should have pulled the trigger weeks ago. Sometimes you have to slow down & just enjoy. I do love hack/slash & shootem ups but I fall into this fast pace. Slowing down a little & enjoying the story is so satisfying. I have to remind myself it's not about how fast I can blaze through the game leaving everyone dead who dares enters my path, but rather it's about the enjoyment of the game as it progresses. Heck even at my age you can learn a few things or at least be reminded of them from time to time when a brilliant game like this one comes along.

20. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Bellower has killed me like ten times lol.. I'm thinking Varl are a bit overrated.. I'm going to try to use more archers.. Tips are welcomed ##