Universal Banner Saga (by Stoic)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Jubelio

Jubelio Active Member

Jul 31, 2014
    reviewer mentioned story over and over as the leading element of the game over gameplay. it's almost as if he thought there was something more than gameplay to consider for banner saga. surprised you didnt notice that.

2. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    If you don't think XCOM was "objectively better", and you think FFT's interface was absolutely awful, then I'm especially confused about what your problem is with this game getting a great review score. In any case, reviews are subjective and take lots of factors into account, which add up to how much the reviewer enjoyed the game and how special they thought it was. In addition, TA isn't one monolithic reviewing machine, it's a bunch of individual reviewers with their own gaming preferences and writing styles, so it seems unrealistic to expect all games reviewed by all reviewers to be rated in a completely consistent way. As long as each individual reviewer is reasonably consistent, that's good enough for me.

I found this to be a useful review. The reviewer obviously loved it, and he described enough of his reasons why that I felt like I could make a reasonable guess from reading the review about whether I would like it or not. I don't think the exact score is very important, since it doesn't help me know whether I personally will like a game or not. At most, a high score means I'm more likely to read the review, but reading the review is what really helps me decide whether it's a game I'd like. So when I see people getting all upset about 1/2 star in a score, I think they weren't really reading the review to learn about the game, but rather they were just looking at the score to validate their own opinions about the game's worth, and they get upset if it contradicts their own opinion.

3. Birth1118

Birth1118 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Auditor
    MA, US
    I've just looked all over the internet for the background story. No clue at all why the gods are dead. I'm at the beginning of chp 6 and just realized that varls are "made" by mixing men and beasts. It's a wonder that the god who made them didn't think of reproduce. There is no female varl, is there? So it's literally "men"?

4. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Just finished my first playthrough on my 5S and wow. What an excellent game. A few things didn't translate over that well and there were a few annoying bugs but the game is so good I didn't mind find workarounds and doing things again. Game clocked in at 17 hours. Definitely worth $10.

5. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Not got the game, but I know that Ragnarok kicked off when the giant wolves ate the sun and moon, and all but one minor, peaceful God was wiped out in the huge battle which then ensued; this is the dude who helped pave the way for the second world of men in which we now reside. RIP cool Viking Gods from World 1. :(

6. Ozes

Ozes Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2012
    I just started the game an I'm totally lost! I don't understand and haven't been able to understand the story. Then my main guy V something was just killed in battle but the. Afterward the story said he was dead!!! Not unconscious. After they said he died it went to another story on the other side of the continent!!! Any help here!???

7. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Complexity or magnitude doesnt necessarily mean better. Review doesnt say those games are better.

8. coccodrillo

coccodrillo Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Is it really so bad? This comment keeps me from buying the game... I have an IPad Mini Retina.

9. Shaban

Shaban Active Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Game developper
    Geneva
    Aaahh cool, love vikings, love strategy and love RPG. Think I should try this one!

10. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    I don't know, but as it is supposed to be a trilogy, we'll probably learn more with the following episodes. It wasn't so easy to understand the story from the beginning. I realised who where the varls after chapter two. Things became easier to understand at the end. I will not spoil anything, but now i understand a bit better what are the stones supposed to do.

I found some books about nordic mithology, maybe i'll recognize some parts used in the game, or maybe everything is invented? Anyway, these guys were living in a hell, a freezing hell. Long winters with no light, i don't understand how they succeed to survive so long. Anything i can read about is interesting, even if it's not directly related to the game. I don't know if there were giants in the legends, and if they were called varls.

11. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    #251 ramzarules, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    It is on my iphone 4s. if you have newer / faster device, i have no idea about the loading times.

12. coccodrillo

coccodrillo Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Ok, Thanx!

13. Toronith

Toronith New Member

Oct 8, 2014
    United States
    Loving the game so far. Although I seem to have some sort of issue with the app size... it started out as 1.7gb on my iPod touch 5 but after playing it a few times, it increased to 2.2gb and now 2.3gb. My Usage states I have 0 free storage but iTunes tells me I have 146mb left, I assume Banner Saga is sucking it all up but I don't know why.

Anyone else with this issue?

14. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Just completed the game with one of the endings.

Hands down, one of the best games I ever played since the Commodore Vic20.

I'm still in shock.

If anything, the game is a bit easy....I'll do next play through on hard, but I really love the combat mechanics (and the story, and the graphics...and the music...oh the music!!!).

Absolutely fantastic....I do hope Banner Saga 2 is imminent :)

Played on iPad Air (just perfect) and now finally on iPhone 6 (perfect BUT loading times are way longer than on Air...that was...unexpected).

15. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Let me ask you something, on your iPad Air how is the turn transition? By that I mean, does the camera transition feels a little sluggish to you? It is on my Mini retina and in some videos I watched, so I wanted to confirm if this is normal.

Thanks!

16. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Hmmm I'm not sure I understand what you want to know.
    On iPad Air (and iPhone 6) everything is super smooth.
    What do you exactly mean by 'turn transition'?
    The circle that appears on next character when it's his turn?

The only thing I thought it was 'weird'....but it's same on my PC...is when you are travelling and the red banner appears.
    On the sides there are some 'chains' that just 'appear' all of a sudden.

Probably I didn't understand...but I'll be glad to answer.

17. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Well, when the turn changes the camera centers on the next character, right? When the camera automatically pans to the next character, it does it in a sluggish way, like the framerate is lower for a moment... I noticed the chain things too.

18. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I'll check it out in one hour (at work now) and report.

19. King69Queen

King69Queen New Member

Oct 10, 2014
    i have 20$ in my account, but when i download this game, its said:"Your Purchase couldn't be complete, for assistance, contact iTunes support at www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww/." some one can explain to me why this happened:(( I have iphone 5 iOS 8.0.2
    p/s: other paid games are normal, just this circumstance:<

20. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Just tried....redid the whole ending.
    Absolutely fluid....I even tried to move the iPad for the parallax effect meanwhile....no problems, ultra fluid even with many animations.
    Zoomed completely in...same...zoomed completely out, same.
    On iPad Air 32 Gb.