Universal Bandit's Shark Showdown! (by Max and Haley LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DolphinFlipJumpSpin, Nov 14, 2015.

?

Typhoon (Battle #3) is too hard or just right

1. Too hard

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Just right

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

DolphinFlipJumpSpin Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2014
    Director of Innovative Biomedical Engineering, The
    Also - Bigrand, that 3rd battle is an error. I some how (*&#@$#-ed up the order in the battle list. So it actually IS the hardest battle I think in the game.

2. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    i'm also glad to see you are redoing the difficulty curve. After beating the 3rd battle in 12 tries, i got stuck at the 4th hahaha.

One idea i would like to suggest again, is to have different parameters on the unlockable dolphins, so they each feel more powerful than the last one. So the difficulty rises, but the dolphins you unlock give you new ways to win.

And another, that i don't know how feasible it is to implement : Both in this game, and in sharkEaters, i noticed that the only way to eat the sharks was to bait them with your tail, then stun-turn-bite. Could we have some more variety in ways taht you can win? i.e., if you chase the shark skillfully you can bite him.

Bait and switch is a nice tactic, but it feels repetitive when the game forces you to do that to win each time, with no other way.

3. Infinite Zero

Infinite Zero Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Seriously guys, well-done! As others have said, the 2D perspective really moves things solidly in the strategy realm, which makes the game extra rewarding.

A tweak of the difficulty curve couldn't hurt though. Not everyone cut their teeth on Shark Eaters like many of us did.

4. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    What do people here think about an "Easy" "Medium" "Hard" "Extreme"

Option instead of trying to nail this universally ?

5. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    I think adding a lot more missions with a steady difficulty progression may be good... if you can't beat the harder missions you can farm the easier ones and upgrade to a more powerful character.

Would be cool if levels were longer... some other things to do besides kill the opponent to make each level longer, more interesting.

The basics like music, graphics, animations are excellent, would like to see more of everything.

Good job.

6. Infinite Zero

Infinite Zero Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2013
    That would work.

7. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yeah, I think that be good for everyone! If you're better at it than I am, you could get that extra challenge that way, and vice-versa!

8. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    The game won't launch on my iPad Pro. I see the fin logo screen for a second, then crash to desktop.
    Will that be addressed in the upcoming patch?

Thank you.

9. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    We’re aware of some issues people are having with crashes and difficulty. All of this should be fixed in an update that will appear in the next few days. Bandit’s Shark Showdown is a much more complex game than we’ve done before, from a technical standpoint, and we’re still experiencing a few growing pains. Thank you for your patience and forgiveness!

10. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
  11. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I like ramzarules' ideas! Dev should do that!!! Would be so much better IMO as well! ;)

12. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Thanks man! I like the games, but i like the devs even more! They are so passionate, and i KNOW they have potential to make something amazing. I know they listen to us, so hopefully we could have a non-bait and switch bandit in the future :)

13. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    #73 DolphinFlipJumpSpin, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    Tomorrow the update should be out.

I'll make a detailed list of the changes tomorrow.

All of the crash fixes are there and that was the main focus - it runs very nicely on the iPad Pro now. We added a radar as per suggestions as little red squares at the edges of the screen that tell you where the enemy went.

There are new "heart" power-ups as well that give you extra lives, and starting points give you a better exploration of the beautiful environment our artist did.

This is not a casual game. I normally don't "reveal" this - but we use the feedback from these games for very serious and important things. Its really meant to be played by skilled gamers with good reaction times - who invest the time to become extremely motor-skilled fighters.

If you're looking for something casual and simple - I would respectfully say, this is probably not your cup of tea (that doesn't preclude toning it down a bit and releasing something much easier and not so involved with motor skills, but that will be a separate title). If, however, you're someone with some gaming skills, reaction times, and dexterity - please do carefully enter the waters.

I'm going to post videos of some of the battles on different devices thanks to ReplayKit.

14. cerbo

cerbo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2015
    Thanks DolphinFlipJumpSpin. I hope you'll continue to maintain and improve Shark Eaters (nee: "I am Dolphin", early adopter and fan here), at least until you release a 3d version of Bandit's Shark Showdown.

I find the second game's difficulty curve does make me want to feed Bandit more often, but the 3d ocean affords me more immersion. I don't know what it is like to be a dolphin, but Shark Eaters probably comes as close as one can get... Would you mind revealing what was the main impetus to not use the 3d graphics engine for BSS?

15. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    #75 DolphinFlipJumpSpin, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    It was really a stylistic choice - to be unique and fit with the "Max and Haley" universe which we are crafting. Its a wholesome cartoon world of the main characters - who you have heard little about. In the final update for this game, we will add a very extensive comic which will explain the deeper themes behind the game.

Its interesting you ask this question because I was playing with shark eaters today and realized that the deeper 3D rendering gives much more information to the player about the animation and movement of the animal. This is to be expected as there is greater entropy in 3D rendering over a toon shaded model. I think in the future we will do a super realistic rendering. I liked the toon shaded look alot, and our software head did a miraculous job of doing it within shader constraints, but I feel, personally, the 3D look was better suited for animation information.

16. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    Update is out!

Note: The default if you're downloading for the first time and have a 6s or 6s plus device is 3D touch for boost/bolt. Go to settings to return to regular controls.

17. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
  18. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    FREE now for a while.

19. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
  20. fredstudiooffice

fredstudiooffice New Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Can't access Bandit's Shark Showdown on Apple TV

Perhaps it's my naivete with Apple TV (I've had it one day).
    But Siri come's up with lots of alternatives but no Bandit's Shark Showdown.
    I colleague of mine and myself tried it on IOS 9.2 with no success.

I am a stroke survivor developing systems for stroke recovery; by many measures the New Yorker article tout's great things of this.
    I know the product is still in trials but I am anxious to get a sense of what it can do.

So for Christmas, I bought an Apple TV just to evaluate Bandit's Shark Showdown.

Any idea how I can get it going?