Universal Bandit's Shark Showdown! (by Max and Haley LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DolphinFlipJumpSpin, Nov 14, 2015.

?

Typhoon (Battle #3) is too hard or just right

1. Too hard

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Just right

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    #41 ramzarules, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  2. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    Games like this are exactly why I upgrade my smartphones as often as possible. I haven't picked it up yet. But happy to have 2 gigs of ram when I do.

3. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Sent dev a PM. I'm crashing too.

4. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Does this game support cloud sync?

5. Promit

Promit Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    #45 Promit, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    We're using cloud sync when available for saves, but I need to check if it's actually syncing properly.
    [EDIT] It's not, found a bug. Fixed already, you'll have cloud sync in the next update.

Oh and I just realized, the 5S has the same memory as the 6. That phone should get support very soon, and I expect 5/5C will come along for the ride too.

6. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

DolphinFlipJumpSpin Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2014
    Director of Innovative Biomedical Engineering, The
  7. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    #47 Duivs, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    Righto here's my impression

Bandit's Shark Showdown is a graphically good game that appropriately uses physics.
    The game is relatively easy for the first two levels but then the game becomes insanely hard. I doubt many casual gamers will make it past the 3rd level, Typhoon.
    I have progressed up to Flash and cannot beat the level. So far the only strategy I have found is bait the shark until it goes to bite you and turn at the last second. I feel that winning is purely due to chance in the later levels with fast sharks as it takes multiple attacks to (b)eat them, but only 2 attacks for them to beat you, and my 'baiting' strategy is very risky. Most of the time I don't know where the enemy shark is because they are off screen, but I read that the devs are working on some radar system.
    The currency adds replay value to the game, especially once you cannot progress, and the option to buy other dolphins is nice, although since they only change the aesthetics and sound of your dolphin and do not give you more health, speed, or damage gives little incentive to actually buy them.
    I can tell that a lot of love and effort has been put into the game- the small drawings give the game charm!
    This physics work well, despite my dolphin sometimes looking like it's trying to tie itself into a knot.
    However this game is very rage inducing for me as it is very hard to win and progress which is the main driving force for the game for me.

Unfortunately I don't think this game is for me, but I'm sure many others will disagree and think this game is great, especially those interested in marine animals.

Edit: In case anyone is wondering I have an iPad Air with the latest iOS and the game runs without a hitch. Long startup time though.

8. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    just if anyone curious about my typhoon gameplay, i beat typhoon only on my 4th attempt. so, no, while typhoon is probably the hardest battle so far, its just not that hard to beat. you just need to lure him first to approach your tail and suddenly go back to attack him. it needs time but youll get it.

9. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    yeap, i use the same strategy for the shark fights. Lure them to your tail, turn around and boost, and with some accuracy, you got the bite :)

I used the same in the first SharkEaters. I find Showdown more challenging, every stage is an intense battle so far :)
    Do the different dolphins have different stats, and if so, how? i think it would be nice if they could be shown to know what you are selecting for your playstyle (faster, slower, better boost, more life etc)

10. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    Now up to last boss. Quite hard!

11. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    it would be a great features for the next update, i hope the dev can fulfil this.

12. Duivs

Duivs Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Guess what? Classified.
    Classified.
    It took me probably 20-30 tries but I finally got killed Kthulhu :)
    I can't be bothered farming for the orca, so besides that I've finished the game!
    Quite challenging, often to the point of ragequit, but the satisfaction of winning is great!

13. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    Dolphin stats

There are many variables I can play with on the different dolphins - but the challenge (making it hard but not impossible) is very hard to craft. If they fall under a certain easy threshold - the game wouldn't be fun.

I think the key is a change qualitatively - but not necessarily too advantageous. I can make them slightly faster - maybe a few more lives per level, and of course stun-times.

Right now though .. Zoey will give you more lives per level.

14. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    satisfaction

I'm happy you found winning very satisfying :)

15. Promit

Promit Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Hey, could I get a couple iPhone 5, 5S, and 5C owner volunteers to beta test via TestFlight? PM me with an email address.

16. Promit

Promit Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Random promo code: 4MPKJXMFXN7J
    We're pushing an update late this week that will address some bugs/crashes and integrate some of your early feedback. We should be running on iPhone 5/5s as well. Honestly the quality of the comments has been great and I think you're going to see a lot more great things coming. Please consider writing App Store reviews - every bit counts!

17. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    I think we are supposed to put promo codes in the promo code thread. I think we should grab a pro and test tomorrow as it doesn't load up properly on the pro.

18. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Love the art style, animations and music.

Nearly every shark kills me in 2 bites which is frustrating when they're half my size and take 8 or so bites to die.
    As much as I like the game I agree with the other poster, several times wanted to rage-smash the ipad.

I wasn't clear if the different unlocks have different stats? They should, else what's the point of unlocking them and it would be nice to know their stats to choose which one to unlock.

Nice game, with a few enhancements can be great. Apple should use this as one of the demo games in their showroom.

19. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #59 bigrand1, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    Yeah, gotta admit, like the last game, this is just too difficult! Not sure how much more I'm gonna play with it before I just quit and give up permanently. I'm sure it IS rewarding when you do win, but if you don't get to experience that hardly at all, what's the point? These two games are just way hard, and amount to lots of hard work and in the end not much fun, for me anyway. Wish it was different because I WANT to love this! I should be enjoying it, but I just keep getting frustrated and disappointed, and feel like I'm never gonna get anywhere with it. And if it's this hard early in the game, I can't even imagine how hard it gets later on! :confused:

20. DolphinFlipJumpSpin

Apr 14, 2014
    So this is pretty much a strong sentiment.

I'm redoing the entire difficulty curve - so please be patient with the update.