Universal Band Stars - (by Halfbrick Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Anilones

Anilones Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Is there a guaranteed way of obtaining a 'Hit' or is it random?

2. chombiekay

chombiekay Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    anyone know the benefit of straight hiring high level artists versus home growing your own low levels to high level?

do the low levels have any cap?

3. Werebite870

Werebite870 Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2011
    Cap is at 20 for each category. The highest level hires start with about 10-14 in every category.

4. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    This is a fun little game, which reminds me very much of game dev story, which is no bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

It's cute, the timers are friendly and I don't see a paywall yet.

5. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I stated it earlier, you get an initial timer to open your pool, then another 1 hour timer to hire your member or forfeit the coins you paid to open the pool in the first place. Its a pretty rotten system.

6. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    That is not true. Only auditions give you a time limit to hire a member. Buying the pool doesn't involve hiring members.

I have hit a paywall with regards to drinks. I'm at 34 drinks and need 1 more to unlock the 3rd floor but all my missions require me to hire new members. Is there any other way to obtain drinks (other than viral hits which require 3 drinks)?

7. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    lol I totally read that wrong, I thought he meant pool of possible new members.

8. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    You need to save your drinks to progress? Duly noted

9. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Don't even use it for viral hits, you'll get 1 drink whether you select Hits or viral hits.

10. heretik

heretik Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Cool little game, iap not needed so far.

11. Anilones

Aug 28, 2009
    You only need 35 for the third level? I need 64.

12. Zaraf

Zaraf Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Is there anything left worth doing after you get #1 on the world chart?

13. Rosso

Rosso Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Dont you worry. You WILL hit the paywall unfortunately. And man, you will hit it hard!

I need fuxxxn 65 drinks to open the next VIP floor. 2 out of the 3 available quests are linked to the new floor I need! I own 22 drinks, I have spent 89€ct so far and there is no way to "farm" 43 drinks by just waiting for a hit, that gives you 1 drink.

Bad bad, annoying, awful balancing. And disgusting that it only gets clear when you already played for quite a long time. Shame on the developer!

Now the important msg: support the independent developer this game was ripped from anyway (minus great features like tours and recording albums!). Game is called "Story of a Band". Looks ugly, but its worth your money, compared to this "free2play crap"!!! Costs you once and you will have fun for dozens of hours.

Cheers

14. Anilones

Aug 28, 2009
    I'm at the same point, only one mission open which requires new characters. 23 drinks to go...
    The balancing on VIP floors is very poor.

15. heretik

heretik Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Okay, iap needed for additional vip floor, ie to get more chars and progress. Drops game from five to three stars for me.

16. NickyNichols

NickyNichols Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2012
    I'm really kind of surprised that Halfbrick attached their name to this game. It is very well polished and has the
    mechanics of a great game but the paywall is absolutely ridiculous.

Drinks need to be earned more frequently, plain and simple.

Band members should also be able to be fired, I have members who are absolutely worthless.

Training should also move up your character a MINIMUM of 1 level, it should not take 2 or 3 $5000 training sessions to bring your character from a 6 Rhythm to a 7.

You need to pump at least 10 Inspirado to get your bonus meter moving. You should not have to stock up 300+ Inspirado to write and record a single song.

Who's idea was it to use energy drinks to unlock the VIP area? Those should strictly be used to keep your energy up. I would rather grind a couple hundred Inspirado or spend some coins for the VIP. It has completely rendered energy drinks useless and something you NEED to stock up on.

In my opinion this game was solely based on greed. What a slimy system and you people at a Six Foot Kid and Halfbrick should be ashamed. Especially after experiencing first hand how successful F2P can be with Jetpack Joyride.

17. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I'm not really understanding the hate here, I've been playing for two days and I almost always have $400,000 spare, 300 inspirado and a full floor of back-up band members fully energised if I feel the need. There are far, far worse examples of freemium greed than this. I haven't spent a single penny on this game and if a paywall hits me in a couple more days then so what? I got four days of play for zero cost, I'll just delete it and be happy with what I got...

18. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Exactly what I was pointing out, Halfbrick knows how to create a good f2p design as they did with jet pack joyride and fish out of water. This game is sadly not in the same league, which is a shame because the presentation is nice.

19. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I suppose we must be strategic in hiring new members. Luckily I have just got a floor opened so I'll only hire the ones the missions need and see how it goes.

20. chombiekay

chombiekay Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    #60 chombiekay, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    *tip. when auditioning new members* make sure you have TONS of money in reserve as the hires are pretty expensive. i think they were 2x - 3x the cost of the audition. if you want to hire both, you need that much more.

you don't NEED to hire new band members and get new VIP rooms, since you can home grown your own members to level 20 all the way through and it's the exact same thing right, as hiring the highest level players? there is one downside is that some labels can't be opened up until you have 3 of a certain type of player.

i do feel like auditioning is cheaper than training a homegrown from low to high.

i have been collecting drinks. i don't use them. honestly i haven't had to pay for anything yet. i even have the 2nd VIP room. the 64 one is more of a challenge. i'm at 10 drinks now saved for that one.

i will like to say i was saddened when my newer arcade and hot tub arrived. i thought i would be able to fit more than one person. who the hell takes up a hot tub by themselves!

honestly though... my BIGGEST gripes.

1. they borrowed heavily from game dev story and other kairosoft. you can see it easily. this is NOT a bad thing. i like it but they also failed in some areas that made GDS more fun and challenging. there is no PENALTY in this game. like there's no salary, no maintenance fees, nothing to give you a sense that you NEED to come out with better songs now or your company may go under. the interface is what KAIROSOFT needs to learn from halfbrick! it's so slick.

2. the characters are cool. but they are all in the end just exactly the same when you max their stats out. no difference between your first hire versus one end game if you train them right. at least in kairosoft games, they had individual caps and they had their own specific energy bars, so some people had more endurance than others.

i think halfbrick is off to the right start here. they are my 2nd favorite developer ever (fruit ninja) right behind popcap (pvz). and my 3rd is kairosoft so they are doing an incredible job but i hope for the future they implement some of what made kairo games more challenging.