Universal Band Stars - (by Halfbrick Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 17, 2013.

1. xxteargodxx

xxteargodxx Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Male
    NJ
    Trying to play on my iPad Mini and I get stuck on this screen after choosing my band name and tapping ok.

[​IMG]

2. Double

Double Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    I have the same issue on my iPad mini 2.

I started over and chose a band name from the band name generator. That fixed the problem. I then tried to name a song and it crashed. So I started over again.
    You have to use the band and song name generator. Anything that involves manually putting in text will result in that screen or a crash.

3. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    This game is like 3D kairosoft dev story :)

4. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Ooh, looks fun. Wonder how it'll compare with A Story of a Band.

5. the fish

the fish Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Vienna
    First impression: good game. I was number one in the national charts after playing not more than ten times today. About five to ten minutes each time. No iap bought until now, but I'm thinking about a coin pack. The prizes are really ok. You can actually do something even with the cheapest money pack.
    I will definitely play on.

6. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Same issue here too on iPad 2 and iPad mini.

7. Six Foot Kid

Six Foot Kid Active Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Hey all
    I'm Kimbo. Producer on Band Stars at Six Foot Kid. We're really excited about the reception Band Stars is getting. Thanks for raising this issue. It's definitely a problem related to the iOS keyboard in the game. As you guys have said it appears to be an iPad only problem. We're looking into it and should have it fixed in an update very soon. Keep the feedback coming and hopefully you don't find any more issues. But if you do, I'll be checking back regularly to stay up to date with your insights.
    Cheers
    Kimbo

8. Anilones

Anilones Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    What are the ways of obtaining Drinks? They appear to be the premium currency, especially with respect to new VIP floors (which become extremely expensive - 65 required for the second purchasable floor).

9. Werebite870

Werebite870 Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2011
    Complete challenges or make hits.

10. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Can you remove the fake scores on the game center leaderboard?

11. chombiekay

chombiekay Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Don't post many reviews here but this game is pretty fun. It is like a super polished kairosoft game, not exactly the same but similar.

iAP is not necessary to enjoy.

12. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    This is definitely a fun game, and I can appreciate all the polish and detail that went into it. However, I do have some major issues that could definitely send a lot of users to click the big delete button on their home screen.

1. The reliance on energy timers for every task I understand to force people to pay money, but it really sucks the fun out of this quick. Want to train? Energy. Want to create inspirado? Energy. Want to create a song? Energy. And this wouldn't be a big deal, but the refuel furniture takes forever to refill energy, and there's such a huge jump in cost - its something like 12,000 coins for the entry level extremely slow furniture, or 250,000 coins for the fast refuel furniture. How does that even make sense? Where are the progressive upgrades?

2. The other gripe I have is I do appreciate that Halfbrick recently lowered the cost for auditions (because they were insanely expensive), but it is frustrating that there are timers and then another hidden paywall, then another timer. once you do pay for an audition. Quick example, you pay 40,000 coins for an audition hoping to hire a new member, however the catch is you have to either wait out a 2 hour timer or pay 4 energy drinks to see which 3 members you can hire. If that wasn't enough, it will cost you a ridiculous 160,000 coins to even hire a member from the 40,000 coin audition. Do you think that was it? Well it wasn't, you have 1 hour to pay the 160,000 coins or you lose your initial 40,000 that you paid (and energy drinks if you paid to bypass the 2 hour timer). I can't even imagine how much it would cost to hire a member from the 160,000 audition.

I really don't understand how Halfbrick became involved with this, but it's a way different IAP animal than they are known for. It would not be that big of an issue if there was a fine line between pay to play, and free to play - but once you start getting a grasp of the game mechanics you're stuck with six empty energy bars, or grinding out coins for a very long time in order to hopefully hire new members - oh yah forgot to mention, even after you pay that ridiculous amount of coins, and energy drinks to audition, your selection is a random 3 characters, you don't get to pick the one you want.

13. chombiekay

Feb 7, 2013
    have you guys been hiring the low levels and building them up or auditioning for high levels and using them?

which is the better route?

14. Is there any way to delete existing band members or change the name of your band?

15. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    You have to reset the game from the title screen to rename your band, and no way to customize members.

16. chombiekay

Feb 7, 2013

i personally didn't find an issue with the timers. it made the game last longer. i totally understand your point though and could see why it would be annoying.

17. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Well this is clearly a f2p game so in-your-face IAPs are to be expected. I went into this game with this mindset and still managed to have fun.

Anyone want to post a list of best genre/lyrics combinations? So far I've found

Bluegrass/Life

Country/Life/Loss

Dance/Partying

Disco/The night

Electronica/partying/life

Jazz/love

Death metal/fear

Metal/rebellion

Brit pop/ girls names

18. the fish

Oct 11, 2012
    Vienna
    I bought the 250k pool yesterday. Had an 8 hours timer. Turn up the game today and no pool! Also my money is gone and the pool is there to buy again. How can this be?

19. There's a spreadsheet on Google Docs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuzTyqxoi_mZdFgtMGRGOGV4ZXNzdldxMHpBNndoemc#gid=0

I have a challenge that says "pump 20 inspirado into a single solo" and have no clue what to do. Does anyone have any ideas?

20. the fish

Oct 11, 2012
    Vienna
    While performing a solo press the button 20 times.