Universal Banana Kong - (by FDG Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jan 23, 2013.

1. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Great game. Nicely balanced. I hope you guys add some more content though. Like in jetpack joyride, the medal system and stuff like that. This game will take off with more content!

2. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Getting used to the controls now and am up to 4th on the leader board! It's super fun well done FDG

3. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Has anyone bought the second chance in the Shop? I just want to know if I can decide when to use it or do I have to use it in the next game?

4. shoi

shoi Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    I just hold to fly over the block after the liana now, so it's ok most of the time.
    In fact with the game screen slightly quaking and the sound of it coming and a better knowledge of the patterns,I have increased my chance to see it coming and escape it. but still 2100m is my best perf though haha.

5. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Always play the sound off, didnt know that it has a incoming sound... thanks for the "tip".

6. panama chief

panama chief Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    i dont see all the hype. 3 locations. terrain is the same. whats the big deal?

7. Pandabunny

Pandabunny Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012

I'd say one of the reasons is probably that the game reminds people of Donkey Kong Country, just dumbed down to an endless runner. :D ;)

8. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    #88 turakm, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
    I bought it. but I'm sort of on this train. It's really no different than any other endless runner. While it has great "bones" and character, it is lacking content.
    Honestly, my favorite part is the music. It's been stuck in my head all day.

I would like to add though that I am sure the game will be built upon. FDG is one of my fav developers and created one of my favorite games in Kryzer (which needs to be brought up to speed :] )
    that one is a classic for me

9. panama chief

panama chief Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    im hoping for more. i hit 2500m, got about 15+ achievements. but thought as i got further id see more diversity. aside from BANANA!! at the beginning....im not seeing a reason to come back right now.

ill redownload once appshopper says there been an update.

10. #90 cclogg, Jan 25, 2013
    Yeah I definitely felt the nostalgia factor with this game, pretty awesome haha.

And as for "only 3 levels"... well, regardless of that I'm finding this game fun enough. Tiny Wings had no real level changes and neither did Ski Safari at launch. In my opinion, there still aren't enough decent endless runners, even though one could say it's a saturated genre like tower defense or whatnot.

I like the upgrade system, you feel like you can purchase some meaningful changes (unlike Jetpack Joyride which seems to be more just costumes and one-time boosts).

My only real complaint would be the physics or feel of the game. I feel like that could be more refined. Mr. Kong (and especially the toucan) feel quite heavy/weighted. Maybe this is intended, but it doesn't feel quite so natural as Ski Safari/Tiny Wings/Jetpack Joyride.

But great job by FDG!

Edit: Some further notes while playing: I feel like this game would be better off without the arbitrary walls/blocks that end your run (maybe they could just slow you). It's also confusing sometimes... like on the boar, if you hit enough walls you'll slow down and lose to the banana-wall, BUT I discovered I could just drop into the lava if I'm in trouble and get a massive boost (albeit at the loss of the boar).

11. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Kryzer? I love this game. Please FDG, make a version 2, add support for iPhone 5 screen and I will be glad to pay it again.

12. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    That game held my attention for a long while! Would love an updated version.

Searched for it. No longer on the App Store :\

13. #93 Connector, Jan 25, 2013
    Playing a little more, I am getting concerned about the inapps and the store. It doesn't seem well balanced, and honestly has a freemium ring to it. Developer, if you do go freemium, please keep us early adopters in mind and award a fairly generous early adopter bonus.

Seems like I get a handful of coins when some of the powerups costs thousands.

About the controls, the current controls work, but it would be nice to have two others. Moveable buttons like some have requested. And, I seem to like swiping up to jump. While this swiping up kind of works most of the time, sometimes it doesn't register, so it would be cool to have this as a control option too.

Overall the game is pretty cool though,

14. Future777

Future777 FDG Entertainment<br />Co-Founder
    Patreon Studio

All: So happy about the great feedback. Thanks everyone. Game is already Top50 in many countries! :eek:

We'd love to continue improving and enhancing the game if you keep it and want to play more Kong in the future. Please keep the ideas and suggestions coming.

with more practice you should be able to get 250-500 bananas per run.
    Try to reach the boar for example. You get 1-3 bananas for each boar-block that you destroy (the grey blocks). Boar blocks don't take away energy when you hit them - they're pure bonus.

Keep trying different things, there are many ways to improve banana loot :)

15. staffordling

staffordling Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    It's a great arcade game for $.99

16. Torkin

Torkin Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Good game but it's impossible to get enough bananas for the upgrades without inApp purchases. 4000 bananas for tukan lvl.2 and I only get 100 on an average round. So I would not recommend it.

17. sink_or_swim

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    I upgraded the tukan to level 2 and all the other power-ups at least to level 1, so it's definitely not impossible.

18. Torkin

Torkin Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Good for you, but I don't like to play 30 rounds for one upgrade.

19. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    You can get lots of bananas in the treetops. Just buy the Giraf upgrade level one (cheap), it'll save you once if you miss a treetop.

Remember you can swipe down while jumping to get a boost to your jump height, which will give you access to a whole heap of bananas.

For my money, the balance in this game is just right.

20. sink_or_swim

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Do you think it would be better when you could upgrade everything within an hour? then most people would complain that there is nothing more to do.
    Complete missions, upgrade the tukan or the rainbowbanana first and try to get to the trees, then you should get enough bananas. But please don't expect to upgrade all power-ups within an hour. Spent some time with the game.